[comp.org.eff.talk] Idea for VERY IMPORTANT legislation

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (06/12/91)

	ObDisclaimer: I am not a net.lawyer or similar, so this may account
for my ignorance about law techniques.

	Right now, when drug busts occur, often "Large Quanitities of Cash"
are found.  This is implied as being almost illegal.  If you have large
quantities of cash, you are probably doing something illegal.  In the
future, cash is most likely going to be obsolete, no one will use it.  In
order to allow this to happen nicely and so that criminals will have no use
for cash I have a suggestion for legislation.
	A law would exist which would make it illegal for the government or
anyone else to track the movements of a person by where they are buying
products, using the nationwide-electronic-currency system.  (Right now we
can say, using CCs and ATMs.)  This will help stop the trend toward a
big-brother type government in the US.
	Could someone maybe write a legal-type thing that could be
legislated to do this.  (Maybe it would mandate writing software that makes
it IMPOSSIBLE to do something like this.)
	Then once this text is written, we can all send copies to all the
senators and congresspeople.
--
The Ravings of the Insane Maniac Sameer Parekh -- zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM

stanton@lurch.stanford.edu (Scott Stanton) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun11.184820.21733@ddsw1.MCS.COM> zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) writes:

           A law would exist which would make it illegal for the government or
   anyone else to track the movements of a person by where they are buying
   products, using the nationwide-electronic-currency system.  (Right now we
   can say, using CCs and ATMs.)  This will help stop the trend toward a
   big-brother type government in the US.

Hoo boy!  The IRS would have a *fit* if this were enacted.  How else
could they red flag "big money" transfers?  (I think a $3000 transfer
sends up a little red flag these days...used to be $10,000, but they
quietly lowered it a while back.)

I can hear the screams now...  ;->

--
--Scott Stanton     (stanton@cs.stanford.edu)

Make it illegal for the government to track the activities of people
based on their (financial) interactions with the network?  Yes, this
is a good idea.

Make it illegal for other people to do this?  Bad idea.  Instead you
should make sure that you don't do business with people who don't agree
to keep this information confidential.  Database police are not needed.

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) (06/16/91)

In article <1991Jun15.060651.28547@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>Make it illegal for the government to track the activities of people
>based on their (financial) interactions with the network?  Yes, this
>is a good idea.
>
>Make it illegal for other people to do this?  Bad idea.  Instead you
>should make sure that you don't do business with people who don't agree
>to keep this information confidential.  Database police are not needed.
>--
>Brad Templeton, ClariNet Communications Corp. -- Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

Brad's advice, while commendably idealistic, is sort of like advising
a cattle farmer not to do business with a rustler.  "Badges?  We don't
need no stinking badges!"

Bob Jacobson
--

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (06/18/91)

	You are right, only the government should be prohibited to do this.
But we'd need to compile a list of private companies who do this and
distribute it, send it to Consumer's Reports, etc.
--
The Ravings of the Insane Maniac Sameer Parekh -- zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM