[comp.org.eff.talk] Georgia Hackers

William_L_Urton@cup.portal.com (06/16/91)

I just read the following on prodigy, and haven't seen any references to
it anyplace else. Does anybody have additional information?

Teens Suspected of Penetrating Government Computers

     The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is taking a close look at a huge
library of confiscated floppy discs belonging to 4 Atlanta-area teenagers
who may have penetrated countless government and business computer systems.
     The unidentified teenagers have not been charged.  GBI spokesman John
Bankhead said investigators are not yet sure if any harm to the computer
systems was done.  But he said the hackers did penetrate some computer systems

rogue@cellar.UUCP (Rache McGregor) (06/16/91)

William_L_Urton@cup.portal.com writes:

> I just read the following on prodigy, and haven't seen any references to
> it anyplace else. Does anybody have additional information?
>
> Teens Suspected of Penetrating Government Computers
>
>      The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is taking a close look at a huge
> library of confiscated floppy discs belonging to 4 Atlanta-area teenagers
> who may have penetrated countless government and business computer systems.
>      The unidentified teenagers have not been charged.  GBI spokesman John
> Bankhead said investigators are not yet sure if any harm to the computer
> systems was done.  But he said the hackers did penetrate some computer system

Was that message cut off accidentally, or was it another shining example of
Prodigy's "All the news that's fit to print and fits in 8 lines of 40 column
ascii" policy?

Rachel K. McGregor            : Let the fire be your friend : Call the
a/k/a Rogue Winter            : And the sea rock you gently : Cellar at
rogue@cellar.uucp             : Let the moon light your way : 215/336-9503
{tredysvr,uunet}!cellar!rogue : 'Til the wind sets you free : BBS & Usenet

William_L_Urton@cup.portal.com (06/18/91)

William_L_Urton@cup.portal.com writes:

> I just read the following on prodigy, and haven't seen any references to
> it anyplace else. Does anybody have additional information?
>
> Teens Suspected of Penetrating Government Computers
>
>      The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is taking a close look at a huge
> library of confiscated floppy discs belonging to 4 Atlanta-area teenagers
> who may have penetrated countless government and business computer systems.
>      The unidentified teenagers have not been charged.  GBI spokesman John
> Bankhead said investigators are not yet sure if any harm to the computer
> systems was done.  But he said the hackers did penetrate some computer system

Was that message cut off accidentally, or was it another shining example of
Prodigy's "All the news that's fit to print and fits in 8 lines of 40 column
ascii" policy?

Rachel K. McGregor            : Let the fire be your friend : Call the
a/k/a Rogue Winter            : And the sea rock you gently : Cellar at
rogue@cellar.uucp             : Let the moon light your way : 215/336-9503
{tredysvr,uunet}!cellar!rogue : 'Til the wind sets you free : BBS & Usenet
The story was short on prodigy-the next day (Sunday, 16 June) I went out
and got the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (I live in Columbia, SC and we
can get the Atlanta paper on Sundays) and they had no mention of it either.
And unless I missed it, there was no mention of it in the local media.
Maybe I can to the library this weekend and look back issues of the Atlanta
papers and see if I can find anything.  Its curious--this is exactly the
sort of sensational event that the media like to blow out of proprotion--
and yet no mention of it.