[comp.org.eff.talk] Privacy of password

jba@gorm.ruc.dk (Jan B. Andersen) (06/18/91)

then bernie@metapro.DIALix.oz.au (Bernd Felsche) replies:
>Running a guesser is not breaking confidentiality. If I guessed that
>you had red hair, never having seen you, and found out that you did
>indeed have red hair, then I would not be breaking confidentiality,
>even if you do wear a hat all the time.
>All I gain, upon verification, is that you have red hair, or don't.

But the difference here, is that _I_ have every right to assume that my
password is private and confidential. And if I was wearing a hat night and
day because I was embarresed of my green hair, I would be very disturbed
if I knew that you also knew it.

>You can go and change the colour, that very day.
Sure, but at my _expense_ and _inconveniency_.

>You are assuming an intent to break confidentiality, by somebody
>guessing passwords, yet they may be seeking to protect theirs, by
>ensuring that nobody else has guessable passwords. You are punishing
>them, for checking the level of security in their environment.

>You allow students to run COPS. Do you _encourage_ them to do so?
>Security only works if it is enforced at all levels.

At this point I would like to make a suggestion. Several users have said,
that they run COPS on a system before keeping any confidential information
on it. This, as someone mentioned, caught the attention of the sysadmins
which naturally (?) was worried about this. Now, if the purpose of running
COPS is to get an idea of how secure the system is, why not ask the sysadmins
of a edited copy of the report, which could include a note saying "We found
3 accounts which needs the password changed and have notified the owners".
A copy of this report could even be posted to a local newsgroup every week.

--
     / | /  RUC, Hus 19,1     jba@dat.ruc.dk      { o_o }    | SIMULA does it |