[comp.org.eff.talk] Public Access Sites -- concerns, problems, and precedents

Some questions for the field:

1)	What, today, is the state of the law with regards to public-access
	systems?  Is the "Jolnet/RIPCO/SJG" paradigm what I should expect of
	our public officials today?  If not, what IS?

This question is prompted by the recent discussions in comp.dcom.telecom
over Len Rose's sentencing.  The moderator, Townson, has divulged that
there is another ongoing investigation close to producing indictments.

Now an indictment is one thing - most people who have gotten in trouble
with the government on these issues would be happy with an indictment as
the first government move -- but with the last wave of indictments we
also saw what appeared to be unconstitutionally broad "general" search
and seizure warrants executed.

Am I, as a provider of these services, still at risk for this?  Mind you,
should I be guilty of stealing source code or the like (I'm not) I'd be
happy to take my lumps.  My system was just audited again (by myself) to
insure that none of my users have been doing any pimping of code.  That
listing of every file on the system took over 6 hours to peruse (it was
well over 6MB uncompressed).  I took the many hours to do this just to
make >sure< that the entire machine is clean.  It is.

Being "clean" didn't help SJG when the feds came, siezed all their
equipment, and nearly destroyed their company!

Who should I contact if the government decides to illegally seize my
gear and try to destroy my career?   What if this "confidential
informant" (who I can't confront or question!) decides he has a bone to
pick with me -- and lies to the "SS"?  Heresay is considered as usable
evidence in the issuance of a search and/or seizure warrant!   What
protection is there for the victim of such an assault -- other than ponying
up tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars to sue for recovery?  We all
know how easy it is to forge email or system logs.  I could easily make it
appear that anyone I disagreed with had stolen source code -- and
presumably, cause their equipment to come under forfeiture proceedings!

What defense does a public-access administrator have against this kind
of capricious action?  Does anyone who wants to run a public-access system
have to accept the possibility of this kind of attack and either live with
it or go off the air?  Going off the air looks rather attractive if this is
the case!

Does the EFF get involved, or will they get involved, immediately?  And
if so, who do I call if this sort of thing was to happen?

Note well -- I am quite certain as of this hour that my machine is
completely free of any program which I do not have the right to use.

I don't feel very safe in this knowledge -- I am, and have been, an
outspoken critic of the government's policies in this area, and we all
know what happens when the government decides they don't like you........

2)	What are the EFF, and other organizations, doing to put a stop to
	the nonsense that surrounded the last wave?  I can think of a number
	of attacks that should be mounted.  Is anyone handling them?  Some
	of these are:

	o)	The SWB officials and other "officers of the court" who
		allegedly perjured themselves in the process of having
		warrants for SJG sworn out should be tried for their
		perjury, if it can be proven.  Perjury is normally a
		criminal offense.  Is it not here?

	o)	The entire Neidorf and friends case is in question.  Since
		the one "main" defendant was dismissed, yet the other three
		were sentenced (after foolishly pleading guilty) should not
		there be an attempt to have their sentences reconsidered?
		The sentencing memorandum is rather interesting reading --
		it makes reference to many things we now know not to be
		true, including the idea that the E911 document was a
		"program"!

	o)	When is a gang of thugs (which is exactly what a goon squad
		of government "SS" agents coming to your door and holding
		you at gunpoint while they ransack your home is) going to be
		tried for these criminal acts?  What interest does the "SS"
		have in the possible theft of someone's source code -- other
		than as an arm of a quasi-government company like AT&T?
		Since when is a simple copyright violation like this a
		criminal matter (it's always been a civil matter in the
		past for this kind of copyright violation -- the exception
		being where the defendant engages in this conduct for profit).

There is much more which needs attack as well.  The entire idea that the
posession of information is somehow illegal needs to be striken from the
lawbooks.  It is the >misuse< of information which should be illegal, not
the possession of same.

Is it illegal to know how to break into a computer, even if one never uses
that information to break into any systems?  Should I be able to be punished
for telling others how to break into a system if I know how to do so?

If the answer to the second question is "yes", then why aren't people who
expose security holes in an operating system on the net routinely tried and
jailed?  How about the mile-wide security hole in ISC Unix that was recently
discovered (and is now fixed)?  Would the posting which originated from
Germany get a US citizen tried and jailed for having "burglar's tools" in
the computer context?  How about Dan Bernstein, who has posted more than
enough information to allow anyone reasonably skilled with Unix to steal
passwords and tap sessions on most Ethernet-capable Unix systems!  Is he the
next person on the chopping block?

I ask this question as I ponder whether I should bother to remain on the
air as a public-access site.  Being "clean" is no longer enough.  It is
simply unacceptable for me to risk my career and everything I own to
provide an on-line Unix system to the public -- especially when you
consider that this really IS a hobby for me -- I operate at a
considerable monetary loss as it is!

Where does it all end?

Comments?  Other's solutions?  Anything at all (except flames) welcome.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 808-7300], Voice: [+1 708 808-7200]

kadie@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Carl M. Kadie) (06/17/91)

karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:

>Some questions for the field:
[...]
>1)	What, today, is the state of the law with regards to public-access
>	systems?  Is the "Jolnet/RIPCO/SJG" paradigm what I should expect of
>	our public officials today?  If not, what IS?
[...]

[warning: sarcasm]

As a PhD candidate of the subfield of artificial intelligence called
machine learning, I think I uniquely qualified to address your
concerns.  Machine learning covers many topics including neural nets.
My area is the automatic creation of expert systems based on
classified examples.

I have given a description of all the cases and their outcome to
PLS-LISP, a machine learning program related to the better known ID3.
The result is this expert system:

If amount-of-money-you-can-speed-on-your-defense >= 100000
then all-charges-will-be-dismissed
else you-will-plead-guilty-to-lesser-charges

Extensive cross validation, confirms the predictiveness of this expert
system.

Based on these results, I recommend you set up a bond for $100,000 to
be used for your defense. Then add this message to the sign in screen
of your BBS:

"Attention: Secret service and telephone company

As a person with a bond for $100,000, I am fully protected by the
Constitution of the United States; so you might as well look
elsewhere. (Contract XXXX to verify the existence of the bond.)"

If you can not afford your constitutional rights, I recommend you
find another hobby.

- Carl
--
Carl Kadie -- kadie@cs.uiuc.edu -- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

mkapor@eff.org (Mitch Kapor) (06/18/91)

I hope Mike Godwin will post a more complete response.

Feel free to call him at the EFF.  The number is 617 864-0665.  While there
are no certainties, it is not my sense there is any organized witch-hunt in
progress which might affect operators of public access bulletin boards.  So
relax.

One of the actions of the past year which makes it less likely that there
will be indiscriminate and over-reaching raids is the lawsuit filed by
Steve Jackson Games seeking damages resulting from the illegal seizures of
their equipment.

I wouldn't take Townson too seriously when he says more indictments are
imminent.  False alarms are commonplace.

Mitch Kapor, EFF
mkapor@eff.org

mnemonic@eff.org (Mike Godwin) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun18.011619.10202@eff.org> mkapor@eff.org (Mitch Kapor) writes:

>Feel free to call him at the EFF.  The number is 617 864-0665.  While there
>are no certainties, it is not my sense there is any organized witch-hunt in
>progress which might affect operators of public access bulletin boards.  So
>relax.

Of the three major anti-hacking efforts I've been following recently,
each is being driven by a different entity or agency. Last week's
stories in Atlanta, for example, are tied to GBI investigations, while
the previous week's cases in Indiana seem to be cases in which state
and local police are working with federal investigators. The
ThriftyTel cases, of course, are being driven by a private long-distance
provider.

>One of the actions of the past year which makes it less likely that there
>will be indiscriminate and over-reaching raids is the lawsuit filed by
>Steve Jackson Games seeking damages resulting from the illegal seizures of
>their equipment.

We have received signs recently that computer-crime investigators
are on notice that they may well be sued if they abuse citizens'
rights in upcoming investigations.

--Mike

--
Mike Godwin,        |         To see a world in a grain of sand
mnemonic@eff.org    |         And heaven in a wild flower

mem@zinn.MV.COM (Mark E. Mallett) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun17.051532.6155@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
> [ Much interesting commentary omitted ]
>
>Is it illegal to know how to break into a computer, even if one never uses
>that information to break into any systems?  Should I be able to be punished
>for telling others how to break into a system if I know how to do so?

Remember Ken Thompson's famous paper describing how he modified the
login program, and then modified the C compiler to modify the login
program (and the C compiler)?  I wonder if he'd publish such a thing
now.

Richard Feynman ("surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman!") told many
stories of his mischeivous nature.  In one, while at Los Alamos, he
made it a habit to surrepticiously steal combinations to all of the
locked files, safes, and so forth, during the atom bomb project.  If
that were now, and he told the story, would he remain a free man?

-mm-
---

"Schemes to subvert the liberties of a great community require time to
mature them for execution.  An army, so large as seriously to menace
those liberties, could only be formed by progressive augmentations;
which would suppose not merely a temporary combination between the
legislature and the executive, but a continued conspiracy for a series
of time.  Is it probable that such a combination would exist at all?
Is it probable that it would be perserved in, and transmitted along
through all the successive variations in a representative body, which
biennial elections would naturally produce in both houses?  Is it
presumable that every man the instant he took his seat in the national
Senate or House of Representatives would commence a traitor to his
constituents and to his country?  Can it be supposed that there would
not be found one man discerning enough to detect so attrocious a
conspiracy, or bold or honest enough to apprise his constituents of
their danger?  If such presumptions can fairly be made, there ought
to be at once an end of all delegated authority."

			Alexander Hamilton
			the Federalist Papers, #26

--
Mark E. Mallett  Zinn Computer Co/ PO Box 4188/ Manchester NH/ 03103
Bus. Phone: 603 645 5069    Home: 603 424 8129     BIX: mmallett

rogue@cellar.UUCP (Rache McGregor) (06/18/91)

mnemonic@eff.org (Mike Godwin) writes:

> In article <1991Jun18.011619.10202@eff.org> mkapor@eff.org (Mitch Kapor) writ
>
> >Feel free to call him at the EFF.  The number is 617 864-0665.  While there
> >are no certainties, it is not my sense there is any organized witch-hunt in
> >progress which might affect operators of public access bulletin boards.  So
> >relax.
>
> Of the three major anti-hacking efforts I've been following recently,
> each is being driven by a different entity or agency. Last week's
> stories in Atlanta, for example, are tied to GBI investigations, while
> the previous week's cases in Indiana seem to be cases in which state
> and local police are working with federal investigators. The
> ThriftyTel cases, of course, are being driven by a private long-distance
> provider.

Sorry for asking, but what is the ThriftyTel case?

Rachel K. McGregor            : Let the fire be your friend : Call the
a/k/a Rogue Winter            : And the sea rock you gently : Cellar at
rogue@cellar.uucp             : Let the moon light your way : 215/336-9503
{tredysvr,uunet}!cellar!rogue : 'Til the wind sets you free : BBS & Usenet

wruss00@ricevm1.rice.edu (William R. Russell, Jr.) (06/19/91)

In article <1399@zinn.MV.COM> mem@zinn.MV.COM (Mark E. Mallett) writes:
>Richard Feynman ("surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman!") told many
>stories of his mischeivous nature.  In one, while at Los Alamos, he
>made it a habit to surrepticiously steal combinations to all of the
>locked files, safes, and so forth, during the atom bomb project.  If
>that were now, and he told the story, would he remain a free man?
>
>-mm-

As a side note here, Richard Feynman *only* used that knowledge when he
was asked. Typically, some scientist would be away on vacation, and
they would come running to Feynman and ask something like "Help! We need
the calculations for the oscillation overthruster from Harvey's office!".

Feynman would then go into his office to get his "tools" (i.e. look up
the combination which he noticed Harvey use a month before), return to
Harvey's office, sit there for a while and drink coffee (with the door
closed), then come out an hour later with the safe/file/desk unlocked.

(Actually, in retrospect, Feynman did use his abilities to play a joke
once... but hardly anything serious. In that case, he didn't even steal
the combination beforehand, he just guessed it, right off the top of his
head. Of course, these are in Feynman's own words, so who knows if he
actually was a spy... bwahaha.)

Anyway, the *point* of all this is that Feynman didn't break the law. He
didn't steal anything, and he didn't copy anything and give it to foreign
agents. Granted, if he were working on a government project today and
claimed to know all of the passwords for a certain computer system, he
would probably be reprimanded. But imprisoned? What law has been broken?
(Granted, I wouldn't put it past the government to imprison someone based
on means alone, excluding motive or opportunity.)

It comes to the same old argument: can you convict someone for possession
of the lockpick, even if they don't commit burglarly? Is it ethical to
make lockpick possession illegal?

>--
>Mark E. Mallett  Zinn Computer Co/ PO Box 4188/ Manchester NH/ 03103
>Bus. Phone: 603 645 5069    Home: 603 424 8129     BIX: mmallett
>uucp: mem@zinn.MV.COM  (  ...{decvax|elrond|harvard}!zinn!mem   )
>Northern MA and Southern NH consultants:  Ask (in mail!) about MV.COM

Rick Russell
wruss00@ricevm1.rice.edu

The opinions expressed here are exclusively my own.