[comp.org.eff.talk] USR Sysop Deal Change

bigd@dorsai (David Shapiro) (06/13/91)

In the latest (June) issue of Boardwatch magazine, it says that the USR
sysop deal has been changed, which a clause stating that USR "must be able
to view all files and user log in order to validate board staus...."
Do they really mean *user* log, or did someone mess up and mistake a user
log, which contains, among other things, every users information and
password, including the sysop's, for a caller's log, which contains just a
record of who's called and done what.
Has anybody given such an access level to USR yet?
I need a Dual Standard, but I don't know if I want my system's security to
be able to be compromised.

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888
8 David Shapiro                                 8   The Gooey (GUI) BBS    8
8 bigd@dorsai.com                               8  212-876-5885 9600 CSP   8
8 212-876-5885 9600 CSP (data)                  8   Home of GUI-Net (tm)   8
8 R/O Routable at ->GOOEY on:                   8 Home of the GUI BBS list 8
8 RIME (RelayNet), Intelec, MIDILink, GUI-Net   8  First NYC BBS with CSP  8
8 InterZone!, V-Net, TR'OL Works, NYNet, TRI-Net8      Since 12/90         8
8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

jim@piggy.ucsb.edu (Jim Lick) (06/14/91)

bigd@dorsai (David Shapiro) writes:
>In the latest (June) issue of Boardwatch magazine, it says that the USR
>sysop deal has been changed, which a clause stating that USR "must be able
>to view all files and user log in order to validate board staus...."
>Do they really mean *user* log, or did someone mess up and mistake a user
>log, which contains, among other things, every users information and
>password, including the sysop's, for a caller's log, which contains just a
>record of who's called and done what.

I took it to mean what you thought.  To me, user log means a list of users.
Maybe even a last called column.  What you think of a user log, I would
call a password file.  I imagine that this policy is because of people
wanting cheap modems and setting up a BBS on their PC to get it.

                            Jim Lick
Work: University of California	| Home: 6657 El Colegio #24
      Santa Barbara		|       Isla Vista, CA 93117-4280
      Dept. of Mechanical Engr. |	(805) 968-0189 voice/msg
      2311 Engr II Building     |	(805) 968-1239 data
      (805) 893-4113            |	(805) 968-2734 fax
      jim@ferkel.ucsb.edu	|	Soon: jim@cave.sba.ca.us

pac@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Michael Packer) (06/14/91)

From article <2g1F43w163w@dorsai>, by bigd@dorsai (David Shapiro):
> In the latest (June) issue of Boardwatch magazine, it says that the USR
> sysop deal has been changed, which a clause stating that USR "must be able
> to view all files and user log in order to validate board staus...."

that's not a change....it said that when i got my 6 months ago...
they only logged on my board, left a message and logged off though...
i didn't give them access to my system.log file because i have
no really easy way of doing that but they had access to a list of
users and when they last called...

pac

--
      --    These are my own opinions, why else would I say this --
               Michael A. Packer ==>  pac@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu

fordke@infonode.ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) (06/14/91)

In article <2g1F43w163w@dorsai> bigd@dorsai (David Shapiro) writes:
>In the latest (June) issue of Boardwatch magazine, it says that the USR
>sysop deal has been changed, which a clause stating that USR "must be able
>to view all files and user log in order to validate board staus...."
>Do they really mean *user* log, or did someone mess up and mistake a user
>log, which contains, among other things, every users information and
>password, including the sysop's, for a caller's log, which contains just a
>record of who's called and done what.

As I understood it, they want to view the log of your bbs which will
show how active it is and to prove that it is legit.  I basically
made the USR account have a privilege high enough to access a file
directory where my monthly logs are archived.  They did log onto
my board, but did not do any snooping.  My DS should arrive this
week.  BTW, if you're a sysop and would like a program that will
automatically archive your bbs log weekly, pick up ARKALOG from me.
See my .sig for info.  I think I have a magic work of ARKALOG.
It is small, simple, PD and has C source included.
--
 __
/  \ Micro Magic  1:373/12  (205)830-2362  keith@umagic.fidonet.org

dwatney@pine.circa.ufl.edu (Marshall Sutherland) (06/14/91)

In article <2g1F43w163w@dorsai>, bigd@dorsai (David Shapiro) writes...
>In the latest (June) issue of Boardwatch magazine, it says that the USR
>sysop deal has been changed, which a clause stating that USR "must be able
>to view all files and user log in order to validate board staus...."

I wondered the same thing when I read their agreement.  I said "yeah right.
along with all the other fun commands on that menu like delete board..."
If I went and posted thousands of messages all by myself just to get a
good price on a modem, I think I deserve it for all that effort!  :)

BTW, what is this Boardwatch magazine?  Is it a magazine devoted to
BBSs?  Tell me more!

-----
Marshall Sutherland, Digital Magic
dwatney@pine.circa.ufl.edu, dwatney@ufpine.bitnet, uflorida!arms!0
Sysop, Farthinghale Arms BBS, +1 904 378 4861

luce@aurs01.UUCP (J. Luce) (06/14/91)

In article <2g1F43w163w@dorsai> bigd@dorsai (David Shapiro) writes:
>In the latest (June) issue of Boardwatch magazine, it says that the USR
-sysop deal has been changed, which a clause stating that USR "must be able
-to view all files and user log in order to validate board staus...."
-Do they really mean *user* log, or did someone mess up and mistake a user
-log, which contains, among other things, every users information and
-password, including the sysop's, for a caller's log, which contains just a
-record of who's called and done what.

They mean a list of the user log to see whow many users. Most BBSs give
the user a capability to see who the users are. If yours shows
EVERYTHING about the user, it is about time to change your s/w ;)

They do also browse the callerlog to see activity, but it is unimportant
other than to make sure you haven't been up for only a week.

John Luce               | Life is the leading cause of death
Alcatel Network Systems | -----------------------------------------
Raleigh, NC             | Standard Disclaimer Applies
919-850-6787            | Mail? Here? Try aurs01!aurw46!luce@mcnc.org
-------------------------------- or John.Luce@f130.n151.z1.fidonet.org

pac@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Michael Packer) (06/14/91)

From article <29174@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, by dwatney@pine.circa.ufl.edu (Marshall Sutherland):

> BTW, what is this Boardwatch magazine?  Is it a magazine devoted to
> BBSs?  Tell me more!

	i agree if anyone has any information about this mag
please pass it on!!!

pac
--
      --    These are my own opinions, why else would I say this --
               Michael A. Packer ==>  pac@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu
         DARPA Initiative in Concurrent Engineering (304 293-7226)
    The Back Door BBS: (304) 296 3649 (3-14400 HST/DS) FidoNet 1:277/15

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (06/15/91)

	I think User log would mean a list of people who called and their
names, addresses, etc.  Everything but the password.
--
The Ravings of the Insane Maniac Sameer Parekh -- zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Life...) (06/16/91)

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) writes:

>I think User log would mean a list of people who called and their
>names, addresses, etc.  Everything but the password.

Then I think I still have problems.  Running a handle-based system, I
don't give out the real names of my users, their phone numbers, and I
don't even ask for addresses, other than an optional Internet/BITNET
address.  I don't give out personal user information, and wouldn't call a
system which did.

///   ____   \\\ "The major problem--one of the major problems, for there are
| |/ /    \ \| |       several--one of the many major problems with governing
 \\_|\____/|_//            people is of whom you get to do it, or more to the
greg \_\\\/ hoss.unl.edu    point, who gets people to let them do it to them."

bigd@dorsai (David Shapiro) (06/16/91)

fordke@infonode.ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) writes:
> In article <2g1F43w163w@dorsai> bigd@dorsai (David Shapiro) writes:
> >In the latest (June) issue of Boardwatch magazine, it says that the USR
> >sysop deal has been changed, which a clause stating that USR "must be able
> >to view all files and user log in order to validate board staus...."
> >Do they really mean *user* log, or did someone mess up and mistake a user
> >log, which contains, among other things, every users information and
> >password, including the sysop's, for a caller's log, which contains just a
> >record of who's called and done what.
> As I understood it, they want to view the log of your bbs which will
> show how active it is and to prove that it is legit.  I basically
> made the USR account have a privilege high enough to access a file
> directory where my monthly logs are archived.  They did log onto
> my board, but did not do any snooping.  My DS should arrive this
> week.  BTW, if you're a sysop and would like a program that will
> automatically archive your bbs log weekly, pick up ARKALOG from me.
> See my .sig for info.  I think I have a magic work of ARKALOG.
> It is small, simple, PD and has C source included.

Right. My problem is that I just switched to PCBoard, so that my callers log
will start now, although my BBS went up in December of last year, and I
should be eligible for the modem deal now. (I plan to order it in August.)
What do you think I should do to prove the age of my board? Put my old 500KB
callers log up for DLing?

Could you please mail me more info. on those BBS utilities of yours?

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888
8 David Shapiro                                 8   The Gooey (GUI) BBS    8
8 bigd@dorsai.com                               8  212-876-5885 9600 CSP   8
8 212-876-5885 9600 CSP (data)                  8   Home of GUI-Net (tm)   8
8 R/O Routable at ->GOOEY on:                   8 Home of the GUI BBS list 8
8 RIME (RelayNet), Intelec, MIDILink, GUI-Net   8  First NYC BBS with CSP  8
8 InterZone!, V-Net, TR'OL Works, NYNet, TRI-Net8      Since 12/90         8
8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

llama@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Joe Francis) (06/16/91)

Alright, I'll bite.

What is USR?  It sounds like a membership organization fot BBS operators.
What are it's benifits/drawbacks?

Thanks.
"Read My Lips: No Nude Texans!" - George Bush clearing up a misunderstanding

bank@lea.csc.ncsu.edu (Belgarath the Sorcerer) (06/16/91)

In article <1991Jun15.233821.24216@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> llama@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Joe Francis) writes:
>Alright, I'll bite.
>
>What is USR?  It sounds like a membership organization fot BBS operators.
>What are it's benifits/drawbacks?
>
>Thanks.
>"Read My Lips: No Nude Texans!" - George Bush clearing up a misunderstanding

    Uhhh...nope.

    USR is short for "U. S. Robotics"....a company that makes
(among other things) modems. They have a reputation for making
Hayes-compatible modems that are nearly as good as (or even better)
than the "true Hayes" modems, usually at a lower price.

    The topic under discussion ("USR SysOp Modem Deal") refers to
the policy of USR (and a number of other modem-makers, including
Hayes) to give BBS SysOps a price break on modems purchased for
the SysOp's BBS - usually if the SysOp agrees to prominently
announce the fact that s/he is using the modem brand that s/he got
the price break on.
    Pursant to this policy, the manufacturers often call the BBS in
question to make sure that it does exist, has been around for a while,
will continue to be around, etc. etc.....helps justify the loss of
profit margin.

Belgarath the Sorcerer
(Co-SysOp, NiteFlite BBS - Raleigh, NC)
aka bank@lea.csc.ncsu.edu

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (06/16/91)

bigd@dorsai (David Shapiro) writes:

>Right. My problem is that I just switched to PCBoard, so that my callers log

to PC Board - most folks switch from PCBored.  What made you want to move
in that direction?

--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis

rogue@cellar.UUCP (Rache McGregor) (06/16/91)

llama@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Joe Francis) writes:

> Alright, I'll bite.
>
> What is USR?  It sounds like a membership organization fot BBS operators.
> What are it's benifits/drawbacks?
>
> Thanks.
> "Read My Lips: No Nude Texans!" - George Bush clearing up a misunderstanding

USR stands for U.S. Robotics, one of the better (ok, best) modem
manufacturers in the country.  They offer a discount program for BBS sysops.

Rachel K. McGregor            : Let the fire be your friend : Call the
a/k/a Rogue Winter            : And the sea rock you gently : Cellar at
rogue@cellar.uucp             : Let the moon light your way : 215/336-9503
{tredysvr,uunet}!cellar!rogue : 'Til the wind sets you free : BBS & Usenet

bigd@dorsai (David Shapiro) (06/17/91)

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
> bigd@dorsai (David Shapiro) writes:
> >Right. My problem is that I just switched to PCBoard, so that my callers log
> to PC Board - most folks switch from PCBored.  What made you want to move
> in that direction?

Mainly its networking capability and configurability. I started wuth RBBS as
PCBoard being the ideal, and RBBS trying to emulate it, but there's simply a
lot more to do with RBBS, since PCBoard has so many more utilities and
possibilities for expansion. And a bunch of other things.

ianj@ijpc.UUCP (Ian Justman) (06/17/91)

llama@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Joe Francis) writes:

> Alright, I'll bite.

Ouch!!!!  :-)

> What is USR?  It sounds like a membership organization fot BBS operators.
> What are it's benifits/drawbacks?

USR is short for USRobotics, makers of the Courier HST and he
Courier HST Dual Standard high speed modems.

> Thanks.
Anytime.

Robert.Heller@p0.f153.n321.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Robert Heller) (06/17/91)

USR = US Robotics.  They make modems and have a large market of BBS's who use their modems.  USR has some great BBS sysop discounts.
         Robert

--- ScanMail 68K
 * Origin: Locks Hill BBS - Home of Wolf/68K (508) 544-8337  (1:321/153.0)

--
Robert Heller - via FidoNet node 1:324/121 (UUCP/UseNet<->FidoNet gateway)
UUCP:  wizvax!buscard!321!153.0!Robert.Heller

rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun15.191309.26172@unlinfo.unl.edu> greg@hoss.unl.edu (Life...) writes:
>zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) writes:
>
>>I think User log would mean a list of people who called and their
>>names, addresses, etc.  Everything but the password.
>
>Then I think I still have problems.  Running a handle-based system, I
>don't give out the real names of my users, their phone numbers, and I
>don't even ask for addresses, other than an optional Internet/BITNET
>address.  I don't give out personal user information, and wouldn't call a
>system which did.

No, no, no, they just want a caller log...  Name, date, and time of call, just
so they can see how active your system is.  They're checking to make sure that
this isn't a system you put up two days ago to get a cheap modem.  They know
that addresses and phone numbers are confidential, and that most sysops
promised that they would keep those private.

Hell, my BBS doesn't even _keep_ addresses.

--
Standard disclaimer applies, you legalistic hacks.     |     Ron Dippold

stokes@cs.utexas.edu (Perry Stokes) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun15.052742.29055@ddsw1.MCS.COM> zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) writes:

>	I think User log would mean a list of people who called and their
>names, addresses, etc.  Everything but the password.

I for one, would strongly object to the idea of a sysop giving *ANYONE*
my address or my phone number, or anything else.

I would still object if they were giving this information to a "trustworthy"
company in order to get a cheap High-speed modem...

Perry

--
Perry Stokes		|
stokes@cs.utexas.edu	| Support the Free Software Foundation

turrell@violet.berkeley.edu (David Turrell;;;;GQ79) (06/23/91)

On June 15, 1991, llama@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Joe Francis) wrote:

>What is USR?  It sounds like a membership organization fot BBS operators.
>What are it's benifits/drawbacks?

USR is U.S. Robotics, and they sell modems.

They sell them at a deep discount to BBS operators. Those "sysops" note on
their welcome screen that their modem is a "USR" and thus become, in effect,
paid advertisers for US Robotics. USR has gained "modem supremacy" among
sysops, and they say so in their ads:

       "U.S. Robotics "Courier" modems are the preferred choice
        of Electronic Bulletin Board (BBS) operators worldwide."

This thread began because USR now wants to make sure that they are getting a
proper bang for their advertising buck by checking BBS's for caller activity.
After all, if a BBS isn't getting many callers, then the "USR" on the welcome
screen won't be impressing many people into buying USR modems. To measure
caller activity, USR requires a relatively high level of access to the BBS,
raising privacy concerns at first that are now being discounted.

-David