[comp.org.eff.talk] Idea to help curb unwanted junk mail

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (05/05/91)

	I don't know if this will work, but I have an idea.

	The US Post Office should provide a service to people who don't want
junk mail.  These people will sign up and the post office will not deliver
mail which does not have their name on it.  Names such as "The Folks at" or
"Postal Customer" or "Resident" will not be delivered.  If someone WANTS
this mail, they don't have to ask for the service.  The Post Office would
then do both the people and the junk-mailers a service.  The people who
don't want the mail won't be bothered, and the junk-mailers won't have to
waste money on postage for people who won't read the junk mail anyway.
--
The Ravings of the Insane Maniac Sameer Parekh -- zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (05/09/91)

In article <1991May05.025110.8941@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) writes:
> 	I don't know if this will work, but I have an idea.
>
> 	The US Post Office should provide a service to people who don't want
> junk mail.  These people will sign up and the post office will not deliver
> mail which does not have their name on it.

Those informational mailings from your congresscritter that arrive
during the months before elections are addressed to "Postal Patron".

The US Postal Service (they changed their name some years ago) sells
several services that deliver mail without even addresses on it.

dan herrick
herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (05/14/91)

In article <4534.28292e48@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com> herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:
>In article <1991May05.025110.8941@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) writes:
>> 	I don't know if this will work, but I have an idea.
>>
>> 	The US Post Office should provide a service to people who don't want
>> junk mail.  These people will sign up and the post office will not deliver
>> mail which does not have their name on it.
>
>Those informational mailings from your congresscritter that arrive
>during the months before elections are addressed to "Postal Patron".
>
>The US Postal Service (they changed their name some years ago) sells
>several services that deliver mail without even addresses on it.
>
>dan herrick
>herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com

	I know this.  I want a NEW item.  (I don't care to read what my
congressperson says anyway, even the replies to my letters with my address
and name on them are form letters.)

--
The Ravings of the Insane Maniac Sameer Parekh -- zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (05/22/91)

In article <1991May14.015238.27707@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) writes:
> In article <4534.28292e48@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com> herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:
>>In article <1991May05.025110.8941@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) writes:
>>> 	The US Post Office should provide a service to people who don't want
>>> junk mail.  These people will sign up and the post office will not deliver
>>> mail which does not have their name on it.
>>
>>Those informational mailings from your congresscritter that arrive
>>during the months before elections are addressed to "Postal Patron".
>>

> 	I know this.  I want a NEW item.  (I don't care to read what my
> congressperson says anyway, even the replies to my letters with my address
> and name on them are form letters.)

But you are seeking to have congress (they run the Postal Service, through
intermediaries) provide you a way to opt out of their communication systems.
They use those communication systems to arrange for re-election.  In other
words, fat chance.

I find it hard to believe that the people who are railing against "junk
mail" here ignore all third class mail that comes to their addresses.

There are two organizations around my residence that mail out envelopes
full of coupons from local merchants.  This is "to the person living at"
mail that is eagerly opened by many of my neighbors.

I don't, because my wife takes care of the parts of our lives that
involve local merchants.  Though she tries to get me to use haircut
coupons that come in those packages.

Direct mail is an important communication medium.  It keeps coming
because people respond to it.  It seems arrogant to agitate so strongly
to take direct mail away from the people who depend on it.  Remember
that people at both ends of the channel depend on it.

dan herrick
herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com

PS.  I know I'm interjecting a change of subject into a thread in which
Sameer advocated providing a mechanism to opt out, not abolishing direct
mail.  However, Sameer's proposal is one of the gentle ones.  I'm puzzled
by the wider trend of postings on the network.

bill@camco.Celestial.COM (Bill Campbell) (05/24/91)

In <4643.28390fcb@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com> herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:

>I find it hard to believe that the people who are railing against "junk
>mail" here ignore all third class mail that comes to their addresses.

Occassionally it is even useful and informative (very occassionally).

>Direct mail is an important communication medium.  It keeps coming
>because people respond to it.  It seems arrogant to agitate so strongly
>to take direct mail away from the people who depend on it.  Remember
>that people at both ends of the channel depend on it.

I'd MUCH rather get junk mail than junk phone calls in the
evening (I WANT CALLER-ID TO PREVENT THIS INVASION OF MY
PRIVACY).  I have a box by the couch just for junk mail that goes
directly to the recycler.

Bill
--
INTERNET:  bill@Celestial.COM   Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
UUCP:   ...!thebes!camco!bill   6641 East Mercer Way

tom.jennings@f111.n125.z1.FIDONET.ORG (tom jennings) (05/30/91)

> >I find it hard to believe that the people who are railing
> against "junk
> >mail" here ignore all third class mail that comes to their
> addresses.

I agree. Not only that, the PO makes so much money off it it basically
subsidizes our personal mail.

The main complaint is an aesthetic one it seems. So what. Just throw
it out if you dont like it. "Conveience
" as the ultimate goal once again.

--
tom jennings - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!111!tom.jennings

gast@maui.cs.ucla.edu (David Gast) (06/01/91)

In article <1028@camco.Celestial.COM> bill@camco.Celestial.COM (Bill Campbell) writes:

>I'd MUCH rather get junk mail than junk phone calls in the
>evening (I WANT CALLER-ID TO PREVENT THIS INVASION OF MY
>PRIVACY).

Unfortunately, CID won't help much here.  Most junk phone callers call
from out of state and/or from DID lines.  The former do not send CID yet,
and the latter do not send it because there is no incoming number associated
with the line.  Even if you got a number, would it help you if 256-2343
was the number of the junker on Tuesday and on Wednesday the junker calls
from 257-2341?

Just let your answering machine pick up the phone.  Junkers usually
do not leave messages and if they do, you can ignore it.

The telco certainly is not pushing CID to reduce junk phone calls.  They
get paid for those.  If they wanted to help you reduce junk phone calls,
they would implement another system.

David

matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford) (06/13/91)

tom jennings:
) Not only that, the PO makes so much money off it [3rd class junk mail]
) it basically subsidizes our personal mail.

I don't think so.  I read that the PO is required to set prices so that
each class of mail breaks even.
Matt Crawford	     		matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.224050.9098@midway.uchicago.edu> matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford) writes:
>tom jennings:
>) Not only that, the PO makes so much money off it [3rd class junk mail]
>) it basically subsidizes our personal mail.
>
>I don't think so.  I read that the PO is required to set prices so that
>each class of mail breaks even.

Before that requirement was imposed by Congress, first class mail
was actually subsidizing junk mail!  Or so I'm told.

Michael A. Covington | Artificial Intelligence Programs
The University of Georgia  |  Athens, GA 30602   U.S.A.

b645zaw@utarlg.uta.edu (Stephen Tice) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.042624.17037@athena.cs.uga.edu>,
 mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) writes...

>Before that requirement was imposed by Congress, first class mail
>was actually subsidizing junk mail!  Or so I'm told.

Whether It pays for itself (outright) or not, it's still our tax
dollars that enable the situation to exist. A much larger postal
bureaucracy is the result. Besides the impact that all this paper has
directly on the environment (tree cutting, toxic inks, waste bulk,
energy cost <to make and transport>, and litter) it takes advertising
dollars away from electronic media .

I strongly support telecommunications and computing as cheaper,
cleaner, and better than information delivered by physical transport
methods. Especially, if it gives me "search" and "kill" capability.
{not "search and kill", I haven't gotten that frustrated yet 8-}
The net culture is the new power group. Real-time, constant access
shared mind is a phenomena that demands courtesy. The ability to
turn off people, to filter out distractions, and then later to open
up and wallow in the info-flow is crucial. Any system which seeks
to interject into our thoughts, pass the filters we set up, subverts
this, be it propaganda, advertisement, or well intentioned social
sharing. Junk mail / telemarketing and other unsolicted forms of
subtle coercion most importantly waste time which can't be replaced.

I wrote to the 3 "flyer" companies that send newspaper insert bundles
to me by mail. The first time I asked them to stop. The second time
I asked, I told them it was against my religious beliefs. The stuff
is still coming, almost everyday, bundles of newspaper advertisements
that go straight from my mailbox to the the trash. I asked the post office
if they would stop the "to resident" stuff, also no luck. I've sent
a letter of complaint to President Bush. Congress would be useless
since they have a vested interest in keeping this going, as a method of
supporting small business. Of course, I'm already boycotting the
businesses who resort to this.

Junkmail is harassment! I'm wondering if legal injunction can be used to
make them quit? Does anyone know of a precedent?

         _ Stephen Tice _       (b645zaw@utarlgt.uta.edu)

    /   don't own a TV anymore --> because of commercials    \
    \  sure miss Star Trek NG  <-- NetNews is my substitute  /

olsen@xn.ll.mit.edu (06/14/91)

>>I read that the PO is required to set prices so that each class of
>>mail breaks even.

>Before that requirement was imposed by Congress, first class mail was
>actually subsidizing junk mail!  Or so I'm told.

What I read is that first-class mail (the PO's monopoly) has subsidized
the other classes for quite some time, and continues to do so.  The
law used to require each class to break even, but the PO routinely
ignored this requirement.  When someone took them to court in order
to force them to comply, they got Congress to change the law, removing
the requirement (or, actually, making it unenforceable).

This actually makes sense, from the PO's (and postal union's) point of
view.  If you have a legally-mandated monopoly, you should squeeze
every last penny you can out of it, even if you have to juggle the
books to do so.

--
Jim Olsen          olsen@mit.edu

muffy@remarque.berkeley.edu (Muffy Barkocy) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun14.163229.13916@xn.ll.mit.edu> olsen@xn.ll.mit.edu writes:
   >>I read that the PO is required to set prices so that each class of
   >>mail breaks even.

   >Before that requirement was imposed by Congress, first class mail was
   >actually subsidizing junk mail!  Or so I'm told.

   What I read is that first-class mail (the PO's monopoly) has subsidized
   the other classes for quite some time, and continues to do so.  The
   law used to require each class to break even, but the PO routinely
   ignored this requirement.  When someone took them to court in order
   to force them to comply, they got Congress to change the law, removing
   the requirement (or, actually, making it unenforceable).

   This actually makes sense, from the PO's (and postal union's) point of
   view.  If you have a legally-mandated monopoly, you should squeeze
   every last penny you can out of it, even if you have to juggle the
   books to do so.

I don't understand this, though.  If the postal service is taking money
they *make* on first class mail and *spending* it on junk mail, how are
they squeezing more money out of the monopoly?  I would think that it
would make more sense for them to *try* to break even on the junk mail,
and then they would get all the money they made on the first class mail.

On the other hand, if the point is that they're not supposed to make a
profit at all, then I can't see how any amount of juggling will let them
"squeeze more money out," since they can't keep any of it anyway.

Can someone explain whether they're supposed to make a profit, what they
do with any money they make, and how it benefits them to spend some of
the money they make on subsidizing junk mail?

Muffy

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (06/17/91)

muffy@remarque.berkeley.edu (Muffy Barkocy) writes:

[...]

OK, I'll give it a try: the goal of the postal unions is to have as
many jobs for postal employees as possible.  Therefore, it is in their
interest to get folks to mail as much stuff as absolutely possible, and
use the USPS to do so, so as to keep as many people busy handling it as
possible.  By extracting money out of first class and using it to
subsidize the other classes, they can [artificially] lower the costs of
the other classes of mail, and this has two good effects [if you're the
postal union]:
  1) they will have a competitive advantage against other carriers
  2) they will be able to attract some customers who wouldn't mail
     anything AT ALL if the costs were higher.
All of which turns into more postal jobs, bigger budgets and more prestige
for postal executives, etc.

  /Bernie\

olsen@xn.ll.mit.edu (06/17/91)

muffy@remarque.berkeley.edu (Muffy Barkocy) writes:

>I don't understand this, though.  If the postal service is taking money
>they *make* on first class mail and *spending* it on junk mail, how are
>they squeezing more money out of the monopoly?

You must understand that government is different from private business.
In a business, the goal is to make a profit.  In government, the stated
goal is to provide the best service for the least cost.  The _de_facto_
goal (i.e., what is actually rewarded) is usually to increase your budget
and employ more people.

The PO budget for first-class mail is relatively secure, since they
can bring criminal charges against anyone who tries to compete with them.

By skimming money from the first-class monopoly, they can subsidize the
other classes, where they must face competition.  The net result is
not a profit, which they're not interested in anyway, but a larger
budget and workforce, which they are deeply interested in.

Everyone wins, except the people who have to pay for first-class postage
(and the people who don't like junk mail).
--
Jim Olsen          olsen@mit.edu

tannerr@prism.cs.orst.edu (Ryan Tanner) (06/23/91)

In <1991Jun13.223616.27679@cse.uta.edu> b645zaw@utarlg.uta.edu (Stephen Tice) writes:

>In article <1991Jun13.042624.17037@athena.cs.uga.edu>,
> mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) writes...
>>
>>Before that requirement was imposed by Congress, first class mail
>>was actually subsidizing junk mail!  Or so I'm told.

>Whether It pays for itself (outright) or not, it's still our tax
>dollars that enable the situation to exist. A much larger postal
>bureaucracy is the result. Besides the impact that all this paper has
>directly on the environment (tree cutting, toxic inks, waste bulk,
>energy cost <to make and transport>, and litter) it takes advertising
>dollars away from electronic media .

>I strongly support telecommunications and computing as cheaper,
>cleaner, and better than information delivered by physical transport
>methods. Especially, if it gives me "search" and "kill" capability.
>{not "search and kill", I haven't gotten that frustrated yet 8-}
>The net culture is the new power group. Real-time, constant access
>shared mind is a phenomena that demands courtesy. The ability to
>turn off people, to filter out distractions, and then later to open
>up and wallow in the info-flow is crucial. Any system which seeks
>to interject into our thoughts, pass the filters we set up, subverts
>this, be it propaganda, advertisement, or well intentioned social
>sharing. Junk mail / telemarketing and other unsolicted forms of
>subtle coercion most importantly waste time which can't be replaced.

>I wrote to the 3 "flyer" companies that send newspaper insert bundles
>to me by mail. The first time I asked them to stop. The second time
>I asked, I told them it was against my religious beliefs. The stuff
>is still coming, almost everyday, bundles of newspaper advertisements
>that go straight from my mailbox to the the trash. I asked the post office
>if they would stop the "to resident" stuff, also no luck. I've sent
>a letter of complaint to President Bush. Congress would be useless
>since they have a vested interest in keeping this going, as a method of
>supporting small business. Of course, I'm already boycotting the
>businesses who resort to this.

>Junkmail is harassment! I'm wondering if legal injunction can be used to
>make them quit? Does anyone know of a precedent?

>         _ Stephen Tice _       (b645zaw@utarlgt.uta.edu)

>    /   don't own a TV anymore --> because of commercials    \
>    \  sure miss Star Trek NG  <-- NetNews is my substitute  /

I had a friend write to some bulk mailers that she was indeed dead, and
therefore would not need their mail any longer.  They desisted.  Of course,
she pretended to be one of her own family members.  There is a book
out (alas, I do not know the title) with tips to living with less of an
impact on your environment.  It has an address that you can write to and
get some companies to stop mailing to you.  A friend of mine has the
book, and I can post the article if I get enough response.  One thing
about electronic advertising, won't that use up bandwidth?  I am assuming
that the advertisers would then begin paying to support the Net, much
like TV.  I would guess that these companies wouldn't like users
weeding out their advertisements with their news programs.

Ryan (tannerr@prism.cs.orst.edu)

In <1991Jun14.163229.13916@xn.ll.mit.edu> olsen@xn.ll.mit.edu writes:

>>>I read that the PO is required to set prices so that each class of
>>>mail breaks even.

>>Before that requirement was imposed by Congress, first class mail was
>>actually subsidizing junk mail!  Or so I'm told.

>What I read is that first-class mail (the PO's monopoly) has subsidized
>the other classes for quite some time, and continues to do so.  The
>law used to require each class to break even, but the PO routinely
>ignored this requirement.  When someone took them to court in order
>to force them to comply, they got Congress to change the law, removing
>the requirement (or, actually, making it unenforceable).

>This actually makes sense, from the PO's (and postal union's) point of
>view.  If you have a legally-mandated monopoly, you should squeeze
>every last penny you can out of it, even if you have to juggle the
>books to do so.

>--
>Jim Olsen          olsen@mit.edu

Aren't some mail classes subsidized, such as Book rate?  Congress orginally
setup book rate to encourage the transfer of books and magnetic media.
By the way, does anyone know if floppies can be shipped book rate?

Ryan (tannerr@prism.cs.orst.edu)