[comp.org.eff.talk] Allow students to run password guessers? Was: Re: Student suspe

rogue@cellar.UUCP (Rache McGregor) (06/25/91)

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) writes:

> I do not buy the idea that easy-to-guess passwords "deserve" to be stolen,
> nor that it is legitimate to run a password guesser "to see if the system
> is secure." Other tests, possibly, but not something that will give you
> direct access to someone else's password.

There is a person at my worksite (Novell Netware, alas) who needed me to do
something in his account.  When I asked him to log me in, he said, "Oh, you
can do it yourself, my password is 'password.'"

I looked at him with soem mixture of shock, incredulity, and trying to stifle
a guffaw, and told him that if anyone broke into his account, he DID deserve
it.

> Even the Free Software Foundation notices if you call "crypt" more than a
> few times (as when running a password guesser).

And what do they do then?

[In the case of the ridiculous user above, I set his password to expire the
next day, and made sure he was forced to enter something else.  I just hope
it wasn't his name.]

Rachel K. McGregor            : Let the fire be your friend : Call the
a/k/a Rogue Winter            : And the sea rock you gently : Cellar at
rogue@cellar.uucp             : Let the moon light your way : 215/336-9503
{tredysvr,uunet}!cellar!rogue : 'Til the wind sets you free : BBS & Usenet