[comp.org.eff.talk] Cable Censorship

dmq6899@tamsun.TAMU.EDU (Dave Querin) (06/27/91)

TCA Cable Company, based in Tyler, Texas, has announced that
they are dropping the MTV network from their cable service.
It seems that MTV was unwilling to negotiate a programming
change for TCA (a relatively small cable provider, servicing
four states, Lousiana, Texas, Mississippi, and Arkansas).
TCA finds MTV's programming offensive.  There was no public
opinion polling done on behalf of TCA (aside from the phone
calls they received from unsatisfied subscribers).  Now, with
fewer than 7 days to go before the cancellation, they make the
news public.  Is this not a scandal?  The customer service rep
I spoke with said the programming is too negatively influential
to the public's children (she said it with a smaller vocabulary).
I need to make noise, and big noise about this (I feel).  Anyone
have any suggestions about how to make an impact in this unruly
decision?  Thank you much.

-David Querin
 dmq6899@tamsun.tamu.edu

/*
 * The opinions expressed definately do not reflect on my employer or the
 * university i attend.  If I upset you, take it up with me not them.
 */

dpassage@soda.berkeley.edu (David G. Paschich) (06/27/91)

In article <2153@tamsun.TAMU.EDU> dmq6899@tamsun.TAMU.EDU (Dave
Querin) complains that his cable company is going to drop MTV because
it doesn't like the programming.

What I would do is call the cable company and tell them that you'd
like to cancel your service because of their actions with respect to
MTV.  And get all your friends to do it, too.  And then write letters
to whatever government body in your area handed out the cable
franchise (city, county, whatever), the FCC, and your congressperson,
complaining about the lack of competition in the cable industry and
the stupid definition of competition that the FCC uses when deciding
whether or not to regulate a cable company.  (They define competition
as at least 5 broadcast stations in your area.  That doesn't even
compare with the dozens that you get on cable.)

--
David G. Paschich	Open Computing Facility		UC Berkeley
dpassage@ocf.berkeley.edu

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) (06/27/91)

So why is any cable company morally obligated to carry any programming
at all?

It would only be "censorship" if some outside authority imposed a
restriction on them.

Michael A. Covington | Artificial Intelligence Programs
The University of Georgia  |  Athens, GA 30602   U.S.A.

muffy@remarque.berkeley.edu (Muffy Barkocy) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun26.235525.2474@athena.cs.uga.edu> mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) writes:
   So why is any cable company morally obligated to carry any programming
   at all?

They are not "morally obligated," nor did the original poster say they
were.  He said that he wanted to do something about this.  He is
apparently a customer of theirs and they are changing his service in a
way he objects to, without consulting him or any of their other
customers.  Since cable companies often (always?) have a monopoly in
their area, he does not have the option of switching to another company.

   It would only be "censorship" if some outside authority imposed a
   restriction on them.

An outside authority *is* imposing a restriction.  The cable company is
restricting what the viewers can see (see my point about no alternate
providers).  Here's a definition of a censor from the office dictionary:

  1. n. a person empowered to suppress publications or excise any matter
  in them thought to be immoral, seditious or otherwise undesirable.

So, the company is acting in the role of a censor by eliminating things
on the basis of their own judgement that it is "undesirable" (and
probably "immoral").  Censoring is not done only by governments.

Now, certainly, the company can carry whatever channels they please.
However, it makes perfect sense for a customer to object to having the
service changed and want to try to get it changed back.  Why you brought
up the red herring of "moral obligation," I don't know.  It's simply
business.

Muffy

bagchi@eecs.umich.edu (Ranjan Bagchi) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun26.235525.2474@athena.cs.uga.edu> mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) writes:

>So why is any cable company morally obligated to carry any programming
>at all?
>
>It would only be "censorship" if some outside authority imposed a
>restriction on them.

	It's censorship because those who want their MTV can't do
anything because cable companies are exempt from normal competition.

	I would say, because consumers have no input on the
programming carried that yes, a cable company is morally obligated to
carry all available programming.  If they think that MTV costs too
much to carry, why not make some form of a premium?  Cable is all
about freedom of viewing choice.  And the standard arguments apply.
Customers who don't like MTV don't have to hit the magic buttons to
watch it.  In fact, they can block it out of the boxes most of the
time, so they can't even watch it by mistake.

	-rj
Ranjan Bagchi - asleep......  |    v,i,j,k,l,s,a[99];
bagchi@eecs.umich.edu         |    main()   {
-------------------------------       for(scanf("%d",&s);*a-s;v=a[j*=v]-a[i],k=i<s,j+=(v=j<s&&(!k&&!!printf(2+"\n\n%c"-(!l<<!j)," #Q"[l^v?(l^j)&1:2])&&++l||a[i]<s&&v&&v-i+j&&v+i-j))&&!(l%=s),v||(i==j?a[i+=k]=0:++a[i])>=s*k&&++a[--i]) ;
					}  /* Osovlanski and Nissenbaum */

stokes@cs.utexas.edu (Perry Stokes) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun26.235525.2474@athena.cs.uga.edu> mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) writes:
>So why is any cable company morally obligated to carry any programming
>at all?

I saw something regarding this on the news last night.

They said that the cable company is turning off MTV in ALL the homes, and will
turn it back on if the customer requests they do.

Can anyone here confirm this?

Perry

--
Perry Stokes		|
stokes@cs.utexas.edu	| Support the Free Software Foundation

FVEST@DUCVAX.AUBURN.EDU (Floyd Vest) (06/27/91)

[26 Jun 91 21:21:24 GMT] dpassage@soda.berkeley.edu (David G. Paschich) wrote:
>In article <2153@tamsun.TAMU.EDU> dmq6899@tamsun.TAMU.EDU (Dave
>Querin) complains that his cable company is going to drop MTV because
>it doesn't like the programming.

>What I would do is call the cable company and tell them that you'd
>like to cancel your service because of their actions with respect to

The cable company here carries local advertisement.  If the cable company
there does, contact the advertisers.  Put the pressure there.  College
Station *is* Texas A&M.  Mention to the advertisers the possibility of a
student boycott.  You can be much more effective using economic pressure
than you can ever hope to be appealling to the cable companies sense of
what is right.  Don't be belligerent and don't make idle threats.
Why punish yourself by cancelling your service (assuming there are other
channels that you still want)?  Your $10-20 means very little to the cable
company--they are a monopoly without competetion--you can't take your
business elsewhere.  Your business does mean more to their advertisers--you
can take your business elsewhere...and so can they.

--
Floyd Vest <fvest@ducvax.auburn.edu> <fvest@auducvax.bitnet>
Manager, Administrative Systems--Auburn University, Alabama USA

tnixon@hayes.uucp (06/27/91)

In article <BAGCHI.91Jun26212644@hastings.eecs.umich.edu>,
bagchi@eecs.umich.edu (Ranjan Bagchi) writes:

> If they think that MTV costs too
> much to carry, why not make some form of a premium?  Cable is all
> about freedom of viewing choice.

That is, in fact, what is happening.  Some folks apparently don't
have the whole story.  What I've read is that the company is simply
moving MTV from "basic cable" to being a part of a premium package
that costs a little bit more a month (not $10/month per channel like
HBO, but a little bit more for a package of channels).  Based on
speculation, I suppose, but I think this is more a matter of this
cable company not wanting to eat an MTV per-subscriber rate
increase, so they're moving it to a premium service so that the
subscribers who actually want it pay for it, and those that don't
will not have to pay higher basic cable rates to subsidize those who
do.

Personally, I think it's fine.  A good business decision.  I never watch
MTV; if my cable system said "we're having to raise everybody's
rates because MTV is raising their rate to us", that's when _I'd_
get mad.

All of this nonsense about "censoring" MTV because of near-nudity
and eroticism in the videos is just that -- nonsense.  The kids will
still be able to watch it, because most of those homes probably
already take the premium package anyway.

	-- Toby
	   tnixon%hayes@uunet.uu.net

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (06/27/91)

I personally would get the town council, or city council, or whatever,
that originally agreed to TCA's bid for providing cable to the area,
and make sure they realize that TCA has very possibly gone outside the
bounds of the contract that they signed with the town/city.

Better Cable TV of Waterville, ME, provided the Playboy Channel to its
area (including South China, ME, of ~4000 people) until enough people
complained that they took it off the air. Inversely, enough people
complained about them not carrying the local Fox station, that they
finally gave in and carried Channel 9 out of Boston, so they could
kill two birds with one stone -- get Fox programming (my younger
brother is now going hog-wild over the Simpsons & Beverly Hills
90210), and they get Celtics basketball [the pre-requisite to
everything in Waterville].

Anyway, my point is, if you get enough people complaining or writing
letters to the owner of the company, there's bound to be more
attention payed to it than a cursory 5-day advance notice that's
blindly followed through.

--
     Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
  Widener University in Chester, PA                A Bloody Sun-Dec War Zone

wcs) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun26.235525.2474@athena.cs.uga.edu> mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) writes:
> So why is any cable company morally obligated to carry any programming
> at all?
> It would only be "censorship" if some outside authority imposed a
> restriction on them.

There are two kinds of cable tv companies
- businesses engaged in free, honest competition
- businesses that get the government to grant them a monopoly,
	which forbids any other company from offering competing service.

If the first kind of business decides not to carry MTV,
you can buy cable service from someone else, or start your own company.

If the second kind of business decides not to carry MTV,
NOBODY ELSE CAN SELL IT TO YOU EITHER, and the government will arrest
them for doing so.  That's censorship.

It's just like the government saying that only one newspaper can be
sold in your town, and they'll arrest anyone who sells any other newspaper -
that's censorship.

If this cable company is in an area without a government monopoly,
then it's not censorship, it's just bad service, and if you can get
MTV by satellite, buy a dish, and maybe split the cost with your neighbors
and run a cable over to their houses too.  You can't do that here in New Jersey.
--
				Pray for peace;		  Bill
# Bill Stewart 908-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs AT&T Bell Labs 4M-312 Holmdel NJ

jmason2@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Jamie Mason) (06/28/91)

In article <20877@cs.utexas.edu> stokes@cs.utexas.edu (Perry Stokes) writes:
>They said that the cable company is turning off MTV in ALL the homes, and will
>turn it back on if the customer requests they do.

	That *still* stinks.  They are not the parents of the kids who
they feel are endangered.  They have *no business whatsoever* making and
executing such moral judgments *at all*!

	The cable company is a *utility*.  (or at least it should be,
that is how it is used.  Maybe it isn't, legally... yet)  How would the
public react if the phone company decided what kind of phone calls they
thought were good?  Or even blocked all 900 / 976 numbers *without* asking
then demanded that customers call to reactivate them?  How about if the
electric company decided not to supply power to appliances which they
thought were offenisve??

	That cable company has made a BIG mistake.  Their *only* job is
to provide *all* the channels they can get their hands on.  Anything
else, and they are stepping out of line.  I hope Roger's cable (of
Toronto) buys them out, or steals their business when all their customers
cancel service.  Rogers already owns a lot of cable franchise in Texas.

Jamie  ...  Lurker in the Process Table
Written On  Thursday, June 27, 1991  at  02:53:40pm EDT

paulf@umunhum.stanford.edu (Paul Flaherty) (06/28/91)

In article <MUFFY.91Jun26180609@remarque.berkeley.edu> muffy@remarque.berkeley.edu (Muffy Barkocy) writes:
>An outside authority *is* imposing a restriction.  The cable company is
>restricting what the viewers can see (see my point about no alternate
>providers).

By your definition, every information provider is a censor, since they
select how best to use their (limited) bandwidth.

CATV (which stands for Community Access TeleVision, commonly distorted to
CAble TV) is just that; and by the existing laws and interpretations of the
First Amendment, are subject to Community Standards.  So frankly, if you
don't like the communtity resource, go buy a dish -- it's cheaper in the
long run, and you have access to anything you can pay for.

On a related note, a far more insidious act of censorship occurred last
year with American Exxxtasy.  AE broadcast NC-17 type material using a
satellite transponder to home dish owners.  The channel was of course
encrypted using the GI VideoCipher II.  However, the existence of said
channel offended religious officials in a Bible Belt state, who then
filed suit against AE and the uplink company, which proptly stopped uplinking
AE.  The suit was settled after six months of haggling, in which AE agreed
never to operate in the NC-17 domain ever again.

--
-=Paul Flaherty, N9FZX        | "Gentlemen do not read each other's mail."
->paulf@shasta.Stanford.EDU   | - Henry L. Stimson (1929)

muffy@remarque.berkeley.edu (Muffy Barkocy) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun28.002632.27854@neon.Stanford.EDU> paulf@umunhum.stanford.edu (Paul Flaherty) writes:
   In article <MUFFY.91Jun26180609@remarque.berkeley.edu> muffy@remarque.berkeley.edu (Muffy Barkocy) writes:
   >An outside authority *is* imposing a restriction.  The cable company is
   >restricting what the viewers can see (see my point about no alternate
   >providers).

   By your definition, every information provider is a censor, since they
   select how best to use their (limited) bandwidth.

Read the thread.  This is *not* my definition, it was Michael
Covington's definition.  My definition (or, at least, the one I grabbed
out of the dictionary, which is kind of close to mine) is the
restriction of material due to its "immorality," etc.  That means that
if I run a library and I can't carry every book, it is not censorship.
However, if I say, well, I *could* carry this book, but I think it's
immoral, so I won't, then that *is* censorship.

I don't understand why people can't understand what censorship is.  It
is not only the restricting of views you agree with (and therefore think
ought to be expressed).  It is *any* restrictions.  Although I wasn't
there at the time, I have always had the impression that "freedom of
speech" was meant to include *all* views, not just the ones that
"society" approved of.  Have you ever noticed, by the way, that
society's standards change?  And how is that change effected?  Amazingly
enough, it often comes about because people do things which are not
approved of by society.

I am not saying that it is illegal (or "immoral") for a company to
restrict the information that it provides.  However, just because it is
"legal" and "business" does not mean it is not "censorship."  Not all
lack of information is censorship

   CATV (which stands for Community Access TeleVision, commonly distorted to
   CAble TV) is just that; and by the existing laws and interpretations of the
   First Amendment, are subject to Community Standards.  So frankly, if you
   don't like the communtity resource, go buy a dish -- it's cheaper in the
   long run, and you have access to anything you can pay for.

I hardly even watch TV, so why would I want a dish?  Frankly, you're
making several unwarranted assumptions.  By the way, whose "Community
Standards" are we talking about here?  The original poster said that
none of the subscribers were asked about the change - so, that's hardly
listening to the "community," eh?

(By the way, the newest information indicates that all the company is
doing is charging for MTV instead of offering it free.  If that is the
case, it is not censorship, although it may be undesirable from the
point of view of the customers.)

Muffy

cjackso@uswnvg.UUCP (Clay Jackson) (06/28/91)

In article <2153@tamsun.TAMU.EDU> dmq6899@tamsun.TAMU.EDU (Dave Querin) writes:
>have any suggestions about how to make an impact in this unruly
>decision?  Thank you much.

Well - first, good luck!  Since DeReg, the cable companies are hardly
regulated at all, unless they do something REALLY awful (and while
cancelling MTV may seem horrible to you, in the overall scheme of things
it's small potatoes), like a negative option deal that TCI tried to pull
here in Washington State.

Anyway - CATV companies are regulated by the municipality (city, county,
whatever) that issues them their exclusive franchise.  Somewhere in your
local area there should be something like an "Office of Cable Communications"
(or some other such title), to whom you can complain as loudly as you want.
It may or may not do any good, depends on how sympathetic the "public
servant" on the other end of the line is with your cause.

The final thing you can do is wait (sometimes a LOOOONG wait, like 10
years) until the cable company's franchise is up for renewal, at which
point a (public) hearing (ask your Cable Communications people to tell you
when the franchise comes up for renewal, and then, about 3-4 months prior
to that, start digging around in your local govt to find out what body
will hold the hearing - typically a city/town or county council.  There
will typically be NO widespread notice of a hearing, so you'll have to
find it on your own!) will be held at which you (and as many friends as you
can muster) can get up and tell the council (or whoever is holding
the hearing) what scumbags the cable tv operators are, and why they should
not get a new franchise (or at least why they should be forced to do things
differently).

--
Clay Jackson - N7QNM
US WEST NewVector Group, Inc

paulf@umunhum.stanford.edu (Paul Flaherty) (06/29/91)

In article <MUFFY.91Jun28000314@remarque.berkeley.edu> muffy@remarque.berkeley.edu (Muffy Barkocy) writes:
>Read the thread.  This is *not* my definition, it was Michael
>Covington's definition.  My definition (or, at least, the one I grabbed
>out of the dictionary, which is kind of close to mine) is the
>restriction of material due to its "immorality," etc.

Then you don't think that attempting to stop the publication of the
Pentagon Papers was censorship?  Clearly this is a very limited view of
the problem.  Dictionary definitions (and since we are discussing a point
of Law here, leave Webster's out of it) aside, now that more facts have become
available, it appears that this is censorship in a wider context.

>I don't understand why people can't understand what censorship is.  It
>is not only the restricting of views you agree with (and therefore think
>ought to be expressed).  It is *any* restrictions.

This is a contradiction.  A moment ago you were ranting that my defintion
of censorship was overbroad.  Now it's any restriction at all?

> Although I wasn't
>there at the time, I have always had the impression that "freedom of
>speech" was meant to include *all* views, not just the ones that
>"society" approved of.

Wrong.  As with all freedoms, there are limitations based on the rights of
others.  For example, kiddie porn is illegal in the US because the vast
majority of people find it patently offensive.   Existing obscenity statutes
are based on the concept of "community standards", where the very definition
of obscenity is tied with geography.  The legal fiction is that if you
don't like the moral standards of a community, you shouldn't live there.

>  Have you ever noticed, by the way, that
>society's standards change?

Of course they do.  But not necessarily to the Left.

>  And how is that change effected?  Amazingly
>enough, it often comes about because people do things which are not
>approved of by society.

This is a byproduct of the legal system, which requires that a party must
be in jeopardy to have standing for litigation.  Sometimes they win.
Sometimes, they don't.

>I hardly even watch TV, so why would I want a dish?

That was a rhetorical suggestion.  If you don't like your local cable system,
you can always buy a dish.

>  Frankly, you're
>making several unwarranted assumptions.

Would you mind listing a few?

>  By the way, whose "Community
>Standards" are we talking about here?  The original poster said that
>none of the subscribers were asked about the change - so, that's hardly
>listening to the "community," eh?

I honestly doubt that "none of the subscribers were asked about the change".
More likely than not, subscribers wrote to request the change, and the
company decided to perform the change *without* further public comment.
That's not the same thing as you're claiming.

If you'd like to read up on the "community standards" doctrine, I'd be happy
to forward some reading suggestions.  Followups to alt.censorship, where
this really belongs.

We now return you to the CPSR vs EFF flame wars...

--

bei@dogface.austin.tx.us (Bob Izenberg) (06/29/91)

dmq6899@tamsun.TAMU.EDU (Dave Querin) writes:

> TCA Cable Company, based in Tyler, Texas, has announced that
> they are dropping the MTV network from their cable service.
> Anyone
> have any suggestions about how to make an impact in this unruly
> decision?  Thank you much.

Dropping a satellite (as opposed to a DE broadcast) channel doesn't need
to be run past most public utility comissions, unless it would affect the
cable company's rate structure.  If you only get twenty channels and one
is dropped (and isn't replaced with a service of similar stripe) then a
rate challenge may be possible.
Your town council may have had a separate committee that evaluated the
cable company's franchise agreement, or it may have formed one later.  In
some cases, (like mine!) expressing interest in participating in its work
can get you on the comittee.  If there isn't one, raise the issue at the
next town council meeting, and start a referendum to form one if necessary.
Petitions in front of supermarkets (permits applied for if necessary) and in
the library, and in a public area near the cable company's main and/or
billing office.  If the cable company inserts local commercials into ESPN
or other programming, produce a commercial and buy time for it.  Make it akin to
a public interest issue, not a rant at the company.  When they turn it down
for air, or schedule it at 3 in the morning, tell the local paper.  A
quick call to Austin's cable sales line shows that a spot can air in prime
time on one of ten channels (CNN, ESPN, CNN2, MTV, TNN, USA, Lifetime, The Home
Shopping Channel or Nickelodeon) for $35, with a fifteen percent discount if
you get them a ready-to-air tape.  (Cost-of-living note:  I caught the traffic
manager instead of an ad taker, and she said that a fourth-quarter rate increase
of $10 to $20 is in the wind.  Whether this is an across the board increase,
she didn't say.)  The cheapest rate she gave was $10 for a pre-emptible
spot running between 6 PM and midnight.  I'm awaiting a call back that'll
tell me whether the rates that they gave are for single or multiple plays
of the spot.  TCA's rates, depending upon the number of homes served (there
are no Arbitrons or Nielsens for all cable companies, not yet,) may be lower.
When is TCA's franchise up for renewal in Tyler, anyway?  That can be a nervous
time for a cable company, particularly if increased operating expenses (like a
local access channel for the town and/or community college or high school) are
demands put on the table.
Anyway, there's lots of things that a creative public-interest guerilla could
think of to do...
Good luck!
-- Bob

     Opinions expressed in this message are those of its author, except where
              messages by others are included with attribution.

                       Bob Izenberg [ ] bei@dogface.austin.tx.us
                 home: 512 346 7019 [ ] CIS: 76615.1413@compuserve.com

bei@dogface.austin.tx.us (Bob Izenberg) (06/29/91)

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) writes:

> So why is any cable company morally obligated to carry any programming
> at all?

Because that's what you're being billed for?  ;-)

bei@dogface.austin.tx.us (Bob Izenberg) (06/30/91)

paulf@umunhum.stanford.edu (Paul Flaherty) writes:

> So frankly, if you
> don't like the communtity resource, go buy a dish -- it's cheaper in the
> long run, and you have access to anything you can pay for.

	Is it cheaper?  I have a few (non-rhetorical) questions about this.
Do any of the satellite channels that you receive scramble their signal?
If so, what costs are associated with receiving the signal in your home?
What's the period of time that you would receive the same channels through
your cable company (if you didn't have the dish)?  How much would you have
paid to the cable company, assuming constant rates, over that period?

> However, the existence of said
> channel offended religious officials in a Bible Belt state, who then
> filed suit against AE and the uplink company, which proptly stopped uplinking
> AE.

Boy, what a terrible precedent!  The satellite channel reached a few more
places than the community or communities in which the offended clerics resided.
Instead of regulating the reception of the signal in their region, they felt
that they were justified to decide the fitness of the company's programming
for everyone who could possibly receive it, whether they shared the same
views and/or geography as the officials or not.
If I'm offended by some of the screamin' Jesus money machines that plague
the satellites and get them cut off at their uplinks, I doubt that my use
of the same tactics would seem fair to those who filed the suit.

muffy@remarque.berkeley.edu (Muffy Barkocy) (07/01/91)

In article <05ec51w164w@dogface.austin.tx.us> bei@dogface.austin.tx.us (Bob Izenberg) writes:
   paulf@umunhum.stanford.edu (Paul Flaherty) writes:

   > So frankly, if you
   > don't like the communtity resource, go buy a dish -- it's cheaper in the
   > long run, and you have access to anything you can pay for.

	   Is it cheaper?  I have a few (non-rhetorical) questions about this.

Another non-rhetorical question is where to set it up.  I doubt if it
works well in the living room.  For people who do not own a house with a
yard (or some other place where they can set it up), there is the
additional cost of buying such a house.  I doubt that most apartment
managers/owners would appreciate a bunch of tenants setting up satellite
dishes on the roof.

Muffy