[comp.org.eff.news] Musings on constitutionality - Result of Neidorf charges

tek@ms.uky.edu (Thomas E. Kunselman) (09/16/90)

I came across an article on this Craig Neidorf thing and how it turned
out.  I haven't seen any articles on it so I thought I would post this.
If it is old news, just n on by.

All of the information is from Information Week, September 3, 1990,
page 55.  Most of the article is about the EFF, it's only a page in
length, but this is the relevant information re: Phrack and Craig Neidorf.

"The U.S. Attorney's office in Chicago claimed that Neidorf, a 20-year-old
political science major at the University of Missouri, had reprinted illegally
obtained information from BellSouth Corp.'s 911 emergency telephone services,
and charged him with wire fraud and interstate transportation of stolen
property."

"An attorny Kapor knew investigated the Neidorf case and others stemming
from Operation Sun Devil, which activated 28 search warrants in 14 cities
earlier this year.  The attorney informed Barlow and Kapor that the cases
represented a ""major assault on the Constitution.""

"The charges against Neidorf were all dropped on July 27, after his attorney
proved that anyone with a computer could access the BellSouth data."

--
Thomas Kunselman                              {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!tek
Planning and Institutional Research       	bitnet: irkunsel@ecuvm1.bitnet

karish@mindcrf.UUCP (Chuck Karish) (09/17/90)

In article <16013@s.ms.uky.edu>  Thomas E. Kunselman (tek@ms.uky.edu) wrote:

>All of the information is from Information Week, September 3, 1990,
>page 55.
>
>"The charges against Neidorf were all dropped on July 27, after his attorney
>proved that anyone with a computer could access the BellSouth data."

The description I heard of the outcome was that it was shown that
BellSouth would sell the data to anyone who asked for it, for a nominal
copying fee.  The prosecuting attorney was angry with BellSouth for
having provided an exaggerated valuation for the data, and abandoned
the case.  John Nagle may have more to say about this; he was involved
in bringing out the true story.
--

	Chuck Karish		karish@mindcraft.com
	Mindcraft, Inc.		(415) 323-9000

mnemonic@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Mike Godwin) (09/18/90)

In article <4628@graphite18.UUCP> mellman@motcid.UUCP (Tom Mellman) writes:

>This is all so scary to me.  I understand that Neidorf wanted to
>get off any way he could, but it's frightening that the defense
>he had to use was only that the material was already in the public
>domain.

I understand your concern, and I agree with you that the real legal
issues weren't addressed. On the other hand, Neidorf was an unwilling
test case, and federal prosecutions are so traumatic that it would have
been foolhardy to pass up such a clear win.

Moreover, the conclusion of this case alerted at least one prosecutor
(and, one hopes, a larger segment of the law-enforcement community)
to the willingness of some corporate entities to participate in
inflating the seriousness of some instances of computer intrusion in
order to establish federal jurisdiction. This is clearly what Bell
South did.

So, it's possible the case has significance beyond its particular
facts.

Like you, I would like to have seen the property issues addressed
properly as well as the Constitutional ones. But to judge from
Judge Bua's denial of Neidorf's motion to dismiss, it seems unlikely
that Bua was open to the argument that the copied text file was
not, per se, the proof and the "res" of a property crime.

I think such an argument can be made, and it doesn't have to be
based on the (radical, these days) notion that information is
not property. Instead, one can make an argument that falls
squarely within traditional property law--namely, that Neidorf
did not deprive Bell South of the *exclusive use* of their
"proprietary information." How do we know this? *Because nobody
could conceivably USE that file for anything* -- except, possibly,
for publication purposes, which are protected.

I note here that the property-crime aspects of this case are
entirely distinct from the Constitutional issues, and that this
argument would apply even if Neidorf hadn't been interested in
the file *as a publisher*.

>I mean, at the very basis of this is issue is the definition of
>stolen property.  How can you steal something from someone if you
>don't deprive him of it?

You're likely to get some critical comments in response to that
question, since in fact our legal system has long held that one
can be convicted of "theft" after having taken *copies* of
important information. But that branch of theft law is predicated
on depriving the owner of *exclusive* use of the information. Thus,
if I acquire a copy of proprietary information that I can't use
(and--very important--I'm not planning on giving that information
to somebody who CAN use it), I haven't deprived anybody of the
exclusive use of any of the information in question.

The 20th century has seen a great expansion of property-crime
scope; I'd like to see some limits to it, and this might have been
a good case for that.

>Of course, at this point people always say that the victim has
>been deprived of profits.  But he wasn't deprived of the item
>supposedly stolen.

Presumably, if I copy information that you could have sold me,
I've deprived you at least of the profits that you'd have made
on that particular sale.

>  This is an issue of copyright, not theft.
>And am I wrong in my understanding that copyright is a civil
>offense, not a criminal offense?

You're wrong. Copyright violations carry both civil and criminal
penalties, as those of you who read the notice at the beginning
of commercial videos already know.

--Mike

Mike Godwin, UT Law School  |"If the doors of perception were cleansed
mnemonic@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu | every thing would appear to man as it is,
(512) 346-4190              | infinite."

denning@src.dec.com (Dorothy Denning) (09/19/90)

In article <9009170528.AA22846@mindcrf.mindcraft.com>, Chuck Karish
wrote:

>>All of the information is from Information Week, September 3, 1990,
>>page 55.
>>
>>"The charges against Neidorf were all dropped on July 27, after his attorney
>>proved that anyone with a computer could access the BellSouth data."

>The description I heard of the outcome was that it was shown that
>BellSouth would sell the data to anyone who asked for it, for a nominal
>copying fee.

The information about the E911 system was contained in other documents,
but you couldn't just call up Bell and say "Send me the E911 document."

The charges were not dropped because anyone with a computer could access
the BellSouth data.  They were dropped because it was determined that
there were no real secrets in the E911 file.

In article <4628@graphite18.UUCP>, Tom Mellman wrote:

>This is all so scary to me.  I understand that Neidorf wanted to
>get off any way he could, but it's frightening that the defense
>he had to use was only that the material was already in the public
>domain.

He was charged with interstate transportation of stolen property and
wire fraud (relating to the theft).  I'm not an expert on the law,
but it would seem that the defense did exactly the right thing by
responding to the charges.

>I mean, at the very basis of this is issue is the definition of
>stolen property.  How can you steal something from someone if you
>don't deprive him of it?

The best argument I have heard is that you deprive the person of the
right to control the distribution and use of the information.

In article <37287@ut-emx>, Mike Godwin wrote:

>I understand your concern, and I agree with you that the real legal
>issues weren't addressed. On the other hand, Neidorf was an unwilling
>test case, and federal prosecutions are so traumatic that it would have
>been foolhardy to pass up such a clear win.

I don't understand what you mean by "real legal issues".  Aren't the
real legal issues in a case the actual charges, which is what the
defense responded to?

>Instead, one can make an argument that falls squarely within traditional
>property law--namely, that Neidorf did not deprive Bell South of the
>*exclusive use* of their "proprietary information."  How do we know
>this?  *Because nobody could conceivably USE that file for anything*
>-- except, possibly, for publication purposes, which are protected.

BellSouth said they gave a revised version of the E911 document to
people working in the field so that they could better deal with
installation and maintenance problems with the 911 system.  (The
document is about installation and maintenance of the 911 system.)
Bell employees also claimed that the document could be used to disrupt
911 service.  They seemed particularly concerned about the document
being used for "social engineering."  This is a legitimate concern,
especially since their employees are trained to be helpful.

I agree that the case raises a number of interesting issues, like
how do you put a price on information.   If you are the phone company,
what price would you put on a document that in your assessment might
bring down the 911 system?

For those of you who don't know, along with John Nagle I was at the
trial working with the defense.  John gets credit for locating the
documents in the public domain on the 911 system.

Dorothy Denning
denning@src.dec.com

mnemonic@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Mike Godwin) (09/19/90)

In article <1990Sep18.112039.18672@src.dec.com> denning@src.dec.com (Dorothy Denning) writes:

>He was charged with interstate transportation of stolen property and
>wire fraud (relating to the theft).  I'm not an expert on the law,
>but it would seem that the defense did exactly the right thing by
>responding to the charges.

I hope nothing I wrote suggests that I believe the defense did
anything other than the right thing.

>The best argument I have heard is that you deprive the person of the
>right to control the distribution and use of the information.

This argument is in fact embodied in theft law at present. It is one
of the issues that was not addressed in the resolution of the
Neidorf case. Prosecution dropped its case not because there were
questions about whether what Riggs and Neidorf did was theft, but
because the valuation of the "property" in question had been
inflated by Bell South (as John Nagle's research clearly showed
it had).

Was Riggs's acquisition of the information "theft"? Under the
"exclusive use" doctrine of theft law as it applies to
proprietary information, it arguably was not. Riggs and Neidorf
arguably were incapable of using the document for any
purpose other than to show that someone had unauthorized access
to a Bell South computer -- which makes the content of the
document irrelevant. Moreover, neither defendant had the requisite
intent for theft of proprietary information, so far as the
facts seem to indicate.

>In article <37287@ut-emx>, Mike Godwin wrote:
>
>I don't understand what you mean by "real legal issues".  Aren't the
>real legal issues in a case the actual charges, which is what the
>defense responded to?

Not necessarily. In the Neidorf case there were genuine issues of
what constitutes theft and what constitutes First Amendment-protected
publication. Neither was addressed. Terry Gross's amicus brief, which
I'm sure you read, Dorothy, deals almost entirely with issues that,
as it happened, never really came up at trial (so far as I've been
told).

>BellSouth said they gave a revised version of the E911 document to
>people working in the field so that they could better deal with
>installation and maintenance problems with the 911 system.  (The
>document is about installation and maintenance of the 911 system.)
>Bell employees also claimed that the document could be used to disrupt
>911 service.  They seemed particularly concerned about the document
>being used for "social engineering."  This is a legitimate concern,
>especially since their employees are trained to be helpful.

I think Bell inflated its claim again here. It's hard to see how the
contents of the document, which I have read, could be used for
"social engineering" or for any other purpose not internal to Bell South.

>For those of you who don't know, along with John Nagle I was at the
>trial working with the defense.  John gets credit for locating the
>documents in the public domain on the 911 system.

Dorothy does not mention that she ought to get credit as the author
of an informative paper on hackers.