[comp.org.eff.news] Evidence

mnemonic@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Mike Godwin) (09/08/90)

Gene Spafford lectures on evidence law:

>Believe it or not, it has to do with your rights to trial and to
>challenge evidence.  As it has been explained to me by lawyer-types
>(prosecutors and "private" lawyers alike), there is the concept of
>"best evidence."

The "best evidence rule" has been modified by the Federal Rules of
Evidence both in reference to duplicates and in reference to
computer data. These rules were adopted by Congress in 1975. See below.

>  If something is going to be introduced as evidence
>in a trial, the law requires that the best version of the evidence be
>produced, i.e., the original version, if possible.  If a copy was
>introduced, the defense could challenge it and claim that the copy was
>not the same as the original -- that it had been doctored by the
>prosecution to make it look bad, or that accidental changes had been
>made, or that it wasn't a complete copy.  According to both statute
>and case law, that objection would probably have to be sustained.
>Thus, a copy might not be admissable as evidence, and it is difficult
>to make a case when you can't introduce evidence!

It would help if you actual read some evidence law rather than relying
on anedotal recitations of common-law evidence rules from the prosecutors
you talk to. Consider the following excerpts from Article X of the
Federal Rules of Evidence:

    Rule 1001. Definitions
    For purposes of this article the following definitions are applicable:
    [text omitted]

    (3) Original. An "original" of a writing or recording is the writing or
    recording itself or any counterpart intended to have the same effect
    by a person executing or issuing it. An "original" of a photograph
    includes the negative or any print therefrom. If data are stored in
    a computer or similar device, any printout or output readable by sight,
    shown to reflect the data accurately, is an "original."

    (4) Duplicate. A "duplicate" is a counterpart produced by the same
    impression as the original, or from the same matrix, or by means of
    photography, including enlargements and miniatures, or by mechanical
    or electronic re-recording, or by chemical reproduction, or by other
    equivalent techniques which accurately reproduce the original.

    Rule 1002. Requirement of Original
    [This is the common-law Best Evidence Rule as it has been codified
    in the Federal Rules of Evidence; it is therefore the rule to which
    Spafford refers.]
    To prove the content of a writing, recording, or photograph, the
    original writing, recording, or photograph is required, except as
    otherwise provided in these rules or by Act of Congress.

    Rule 1003. Admissibility of Duplicates.
    [This is the rule Spafford hasn't heard of.]
    A duplicate is admissible to the same extent as an original unless
    (1) a genuine question is raised as to the authenticity of the original
    or (2) in the circumstances it would be unfair to admit the duplicate
    in lieu of the original.

Two points should be noted here. First, it is clear that a printout of
the contents of a hard disk counts as an original under the definitions
section. Second, duplicates are admissible unless there is some dispute
as to their provenance.

As a practical matter, all the Assistant U.S. Attorney would have to do
is direct that duplicates be made, then put on witnesses as to the
duplication process. The duplicated data would then be admissible.
(Of course, as a practical matter, only "duplicates" would ever be
admitted into evidence--the actual hard disk would almost certainly
NOT be admitted into evidence, since its mere presence is not evidence of
of its content.)

>That's one reason why, when something is under investigation, they
>continue to hold the system long after the search warrant has been
>executed -- if an indictment is brought later, they need the system as
>evidence in the trial.  If a challenge is made by the defendant about
>the material introduced as evidence, the prosecution needs to be able
>to fire up the system in the courtroom to prove their point.

They need to do this about as often as they need to drive cars into
the courtroom to demonstrate getaway tactics.

Even if the prosecution anticipates that there will be a dispute over
the provenance of any duplicates made, it hardly prevents the U.S.
Attorney's office from giving the defendant *duplicates* of the siezed
information. And few if any judges will sustain an objection over the
prosecution's expert testimony showing chain of custody.

Moreover, Spafford's comment does not address the First, Fourth, and Fifth
Amendment implications of seizure of a *non*-defendant's property.

>(I'm told that the normal course of prosecution is such that it may
>take upwards of 2 years for an indictment to be made.  Thus, the
>equipment needs to be held all that time.  This is a hardship for the
>defendant, but not at all unusual -- cases involving the seizure of
>cars, boats, printing presses (in counterfeiting cases), business
>records and so on often result in in the material being held for
>similar lengths of time.  The belief is that it is more important to
>preserve the evidence to allow you to challenge it in court than it is
>to return it to you quickly.)

It is also believed that any pressure brought to bear on the defendant
provides additional motivation for plea bargains.

>Certainly, the prosecution could produce the experts to claim that a
>copy was a true and accurate copy, but the defense could have a lot of
>fun trying to cast doubt in the jury's minds by holding up 3.5" floopy
>disks and pointing at mounds of printouts and asking the experts to
>explain how they know it's a true copy, and how all that data is
>encoded, and how the know the software is correct and....  Ever try
>explaining all that to someone who is doesn't know about computers and
>may be mildlu computer-phobic?

I do not share Spafford's contempt for juries. Juries have managed to
learn and make decisions about complex matters since the beginning
of the Republic. And the fact that a 3.5-inch floppy disk can hold
the equivalent of pages and pages of text is not a complex matter; I
defy you, Spafford, to find a single potential juror who would have
trouble believing that such a disk could hold that much data, once
you assured him that it could.

>Now imagine explaining that to a jury
>of 12 similar people and convincing them beyond any reasonable doubt.

This is no great challenge.

>(I'm also told {and have seen} that the law enforcement
>agencies have very limited equipment resources, and the only way they
>can be sure to have a printer that works with the hardware/software on
>the confiscated system is to take the printer that's already
>attached.)

So we're too believe that the Feds have to keep Steve Jackson's
LaserJet because the federal government can't afford one of its own?
Been down to the federal courthouse lately, Gene? Back when I was
a law clerk, I used to visit it all the time. Amazingly, they seem
able to afford all sorts of equipment.

>(Someone made a snide comment earlier about SJ Games' laser printer
>being taken.  It is my understanding that the above rationale is
>standard practice with the Feds.  If you look in the NIJ (National
>Institutes of Justice) handbooks and similar texts on organizing
>computer crime investigation, you will see the same thing given as
>advice to local law enforcement types.  If you don't like it, contact
>your Congress-criter about amendments to the Federal rules of evidence
>-- don't continue to abuse me for reporting information that I have
>spent time researching.)

Your research is minimal, so far as I can tell. Example: the NIJ
handbooks are *not statutory law*. You don't need to have your Congressman
amend the Federal Rules of Evidence to change the handbook provisions.

Rather than take Spafford's "researching" at face value, I advise
readers of this conference to take a look at legal scholarship concerning
the Best Evidence Rule. A good place to start is Cleary and Strong,
"The Best Evidence Rule: An Evaluation in Context," 51 Iowa L.Review 825,
1966. The authors note, inter alia, that the need for strict readings
of the Best Evidence Rule has been reduced by modern legal procedures
as well as by modern technology.

--Mike

Mike Godwin, UT Law School  |    "We need a new cosmology.
mnemonic@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu |     New Gods. New Sacraments.
(512) 346-4190              |     Another drink."
                            |          --Patti Smith

fnord@spdcc.COM (Dan Schaeffer) (09/13/90)

Let's keep in mind also the purpose of the "Best Evidence Rule," a
concept which manages to elude a fairly steady stream of lawyers and
judges, despite its simplicity.

The Best Evidence Rule, as codified in Federal Rule of Evidence 1002, says
the following:
"To prove the content of a writing, recording, or photograph, the original
 writing, recording, or photograph is required, except as otherwise
 provided in these rules or by Act of Congress."

What does this mean?  The key phrase is "[t]o prove the content".  All it
says is that a witness can't just get up on the stand and say, "Yes, the
document in issue says X."  If you want to prove that the document says
X, you have to have the document.  Whether it can be a duplicate or must
be an original is dependent on factors noted in other rules.

There are some exceptions to this Best Evidence Rule, such as for expert
witnesses, but essentially, that's it: you can't say what a document
contains; you have to produce the document itself.

D. J. Schaeffer
"Loewenstein, Loewenstein."
[fnord@ursa-major.spdcc.com]

jmc@Gang-of-Four.usenet (John McCarthy) (09/13/90)

As far as I can see, no-one actually answered Gene Spafford's question
about whether the law sees a difference between the New York Times
and a basement produced sheet.  I have never heard of such a difference
being argued in a censorship case.  The legal movement has been in
the direction off erasing differences.  For example, advertisements
have been granted First Amendment protection to some extent.

Concerning "best evidence".  There obviously needs to be some
compromise here between keeping evidence and letting someone
get on with his work.  There are several possibilities.

1. A person's disk could be printed and he could stipulate via
his lawyer that the printout was correct.  Then he could have
his disk back.  When facts are stipulated by the prosecution
and defense, judges permit reneging on the stipulation only
in exceptional cases.

2. He could have a right to a copy of the confiscated files.

3. If his computer was an IBM PC XT, this could be stipulated,
and he could get his computer back.  Any PC XT or the documentation
of the PC XT would be acceptable evidence if he should destroy
the one he got back.

I believe courts would support such compromises on the grounds
that refusal by prosecutors to make them would constitute
"unreasonable search and seizure".

mnemonic@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Mike Godwin) (09/13/90)

In article <856.26ed16bf@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com> browns@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems) writes:

>Mike, how can the contents of a hard disk be printed in a way that meets
>this definition?  I'm not thinking of ASCII files, which obviously
>present no problem.  I suppose dBASE files and spreadsheet commands can
>be printed using their internal print commands.  But what about .EXE
>files and similar binary stuff?

Well, let me note first of all that in most of the seizures I know
about, it's been the text files that have been of primary interest to
law-enforcement folks.

But let's say they want to prove software piracy. Since the rules
of evidence allow some kinds of duplicates to be considered, in
effect, originals, and other kinds of duplicates to be just as
admissible as originals, the logical thing to do, it seems to me,
would be to have the government witness download binary files from
the system in question, then run it on her own system or on the
government's. That should be testimony sufficient to persuade a
jury that software theft was going on.

The problem is, neither the issues nor the procedures have been
hammered out yet. There may be cases we haven't anticipated, and
the procedures err on the side of inclusiveness precisely because
the law-enforcement establishment is so hazy on what the legal
and social issues are.

>Does this definition include ordinary photocopies as duplicates?

Yes.

>I understand handwritten copies are not "duplicates" as defined above,
>but are they completely invalid or valid only when nothing better is
>available?

The latter.

>>     Rule 1003. Admissibility of Duplicates.
>>     [This is the rule Spafford hasn't heard of.]
>>     A duplicate is admissible to the same extent as an original unless
>>     (1) a genuine question is raised
>
>Presumably as opposed to a frivolous question, just to delay things?

Right. Judges know when the challenge is frivolous.

>>                                      as to the authenticity of the original
>                                                                     ^^^^^^^^
>Shouldn't that be duplicate?

No. This clause applies, I think, to cases in which it is not the document's
contents but the document's authenticity that is in question. (E.g., the
Howard Hughes will that left money to Melvin Dummar.)

>>     or (2) in the circumstances it would be unfair to admit the duplicate
>>     in lieu of the original.
>
>I'm curious--couldd you give an example of (2)?

Not offhand. It may be that the drafters had no particular example in mind,
but wanted to leave an out in the event that an obvious unfairness came
along.

>> It is also believed that any pressure brought to bear on the defendant
>> provides additional motivation for plea bargains.
>
>Seems like one of the many unfair parts of RICO, that it
>institutionalizes seizure onm indictment.  And the seizure itself may
>work irretrievable harm, even if the defendant is found innocent and the
>property ultimately restored.

You'll find no disagreement here on that score.

--Mike

Mike Godwin, UT Law School  |"If the doors of perception were cleansed
mnemonic@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu | every thing would appear to man as it is,
(512) 346-4190              | infinite."

a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) (09/13/90)

> brad@looking.on.ca writes:
>
> If I were a computer criminal, I might just create a very special printer
> with a bank of non-volitile storage in it.  Or, for that matter, just buy one
> of the modern printers you can get these days with 4 megs ram, etc.
>
> I would use that storage, normally, to keep all the stolen access codes,
> calling card numbers, and other incriminating data.   Pretty easy, with the
> high speed link I have to my printer, to fetch the codes from it.

Sounds like a lot of trouble to me.  Why not just take your infomation and DES
encrypt it with any of the popular packages that do this (such ask PKZIP, which
will compress it while you're at it)?  Then just conveniently "forget" the
password.  If you want to hide it a little better you might write a program
that will attach it to the end of a .EXE file, so that it looks like just
another overlay.

It would take 30 seconds to encrypt or decrypt and attach or unattach a largish
file to, say, TELIX.EXE (or substitute your favourite executable for your
favourite OS here) if you knew the password.

        -cjs    ( Curt_Sampson@mindlink.UUCP )

I have always been amused at reading how the goons confiscate printers
when they move in.  How silly!  Yet it got me thinking...

If I were a computer criminal, I might just create a very special printer
with a bank of non-volitile storage in it.  Or, for that matter, just buy
one of the modern printers you can get these days with 4 megs ram, etc.

I would use that storage, normally, to keep all the stolen access codes,
calling card numbers, and other incriminating data.   Pretty easy, with the
high speed link I have to my printer, to fetch the codes from it.

(I would also have the machine erase stuff if disconnected improperly,
keeping backups somewhere far away.)

Or I could hide this info in little hidden places in all kinds of
semi-smart or smart peripherals -- including some off the shelf.

So if we fight (correctly) to stop them from confiscating everything, this
may drive the real criminals to such tricks, which may lead to grander
confiscation.  I point this out -- I don't know if there's an answer.

iceman@Apple.COM (Ice) (09/15/90)

|> (Curt Sampson) writes:
|Sounds like a lot of trouble to me.  Why not just take your infomation and DES
|encrypt it with any of the popular packages that do this (such ask PKZIP, which
|will compress it while you're at it)?  Then just conveniently "forget" the
|password.  If you want to hide it a little better you might write a program
|that will attach it to the end of a .EXE file, so that it looks like just
|another overlay.

  It is one thing to talk about conveniently forgetting your password,
and quite another thing to say that when the SS guys have you handcuffed
to your sofa describing your upcoming prison term.  I personally know that
in such a situation I would find that my memory was working pretty well.
If the SS KNOWS that the files are encyrpted, they will lean on you.
Better to disguise them, via your overlay idea or whatever.

  As a standard security measure, I rewrote parts of the Resource and File
Managers on my Mac.  Files created under the modified system look like
junk to the old system, but the new system can read the old files.  Thus,
I do most of my daily work under the old system, but when I am doing very
sensitive work, I boot off a floppy that installs the appropriate toolbox
patches, and -presto!- text files appear where there was only garbage'd
resource files before.  Nice and transparent, and even a Mac Hacker would
write off the "encrypted" files as junk, since the normal OS can't even
read them.

  :-) As for SS-proof backup, I recommend taking your valuable text files
and posting stories to alt.sex.bondage that have the data encoded in them
via the first word of each sentence, first char of every word
(except 'a' and 'the'), etc.
That way, you can be sure to get your data back by going to any NetNews
site and downloading stuff from the story archives :-)!

=short example=
Samuel's erotic carresses ravaged the exquistely taunt stomach, each raking
violently into crying Eve, gyrating openly, her orgasm making every
neural-receptor open wide.

  Hey, it worked for those Rose-Cross fellows!  Perhaps someone could write
an a.s.b. auto-encryptor - you give it the text file, it turns it into an
a.s.b. story.  I can't imagine the algorithm would be too difficult.

 -ice

"Um..."
  - Zippy the pinhead

n357cw@tamuts.tamu.edu (Kevin Alexander) (09/17/90)

Let me ask this of the Usenet readersip...  Suppose I were to post
100's of Credit Card numbers, or login procedures for sensitive
computers, or AT&T proprietary source code on one of the newsgroups..
When this message would be distributed throughout the world, would the
Secret Service be able to confiscate each machine which that particular
posting resides?

This is the same thing that happens to many BBS operators (SysOps) when
a user or two posts "non-public-domain" messages and the SS catches it
before the SysOp can delete it..

Makes you wonder.........

------
Kevin Alexander
n357cw@tamuts.tamu.edu
(no fancy .sig needed)

In article <8306@helios.TAMU.EDU> n357cw@tamuts.tamu.edu (Kevin Alexander) writes:
> Let me ask this of the Usenet readersip...  Suppose I were to post
> 100's of Credit Card numbers, or login procedures for sensitive
> computers, or AT&T proprietary source code on one of the newsgroups..
> When this message would be distributed throughout the world, would the
> Secret Service be able to confiscate each machine which that particular
> posting resides?

Suppose you were to publish the same information in an advertisement in
a national newspaper. When that advertisement would be distributed
throughout the world, would the Secret Service be able to confiscate
each newspaper in which that particular advertisement resides?

One might ask the same question about any other communications medium.

---Dan

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (09/20/90)

Reading over these discussions indicates to me there really is a need
for some overview or reference to basic law as regards freedom of
speech and freedom of press and other related issues.

>The newspaper would not publish the list in the first place. Electronic media
>is special in that frequently there is no editor.

This raises all sorts of issues I am only dimly aware of.

A "newspaper" has more than one part, as far as freedom of the press
is concerned.

Parts which are "news" are much freer from various allegations of
wrongdoing than parts which are editorials, ads etc.

The basic rationale is that in order to publish real news in a timely
fashion there is limited ability (time) to substantiate all facts.

However, the same does not apply to sections like opinion columns
which, one presumes, are authored with more time to check facts.

On a related note, I believe the copyright laws as apply to news
proper are quite different than other publishing copyrights (don't
they only retain rights for something like four days? Maybe that was
hearsay, but I'd like to hear from someone who knows.)

And ads have their own set of standards entirely, not the least of
which is caused by multiple independent parties being involved. For
example, a paper might take an innocuous sounding classified ad which
turns out to be quite criminal in its intent (e.g. fraudulant claims)
and not be held liable in any way.

Obviously the paper can't check every ad although some things are
considered to fall within the purview of common sense (e.g. full page
miracle cancer-cure ads, blatant advertisements for prostitution the
paper could be held (ir)responsible for.)

On another dimension, the telephone company, by virtue of its being a
common carrier and having no editorial function, is not held
responsible in the slightest for whatever criminal acts you might
commit over their lines. The extent of their responsibility is to
cooperate with law enforcement agencies when requested (properly.)

Now, on yet another dimension (!) there certainly seems to be some
sort of perception of "ability and intent to edit" smattered
throughout.

For example, short of the obscenity laws perhaps, there would seem to
be a difference between my doing a live "man on the street" TV segment
and one of those street-men blurting into the mike "Candidate George
is in bed with the Mafia!" versus the station's manager using his/her
editorial spot to make the same claim.

The point being, the existence and/or claim of a editorial presence
seems to be in there somewhere, at least conceptually, but what does
the law actually say?

These issues seem, to me anyhow, to be very critical and fundamental
to the entire issue of "electronic speech".

What does the law say about common carriers?

What does the law say about an editorial presence? Timeliness?

How do these relate to e-mail, electronic publications, public access
systems (BBS), USENET, etc?

Interesting questions. But I feel like we're all groping around in the
dark (perhaps everyone is!)
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | {xylogics,uunet}!world!bzs | bzs@world.std.com

lars@spectrum.CMC.COM (Lars Poulsen) (09/21/90)

In article <4572@qip.UUCP> john@qip.UUCP (John Moore) writes:
JM> The newspaper would not publish the list in the first place.
JM> Electronic media [are] special in that frequently there is no editor.

For a small publication, the editor and publisher are often the same
person. No big deal. The reason that most publications would hesitate
to print this hypothetical ad, is that the publisher may be held
criminally liable for what appears in his publication. Indeed, for a
small publication, the printing apparatus might be confiscated.

By analogy, it may not be unreasonable to hold the "publisher" (i.e. the
owner/SYSOP) jointly liable with the poster for whatever appears on the
bulletin board.

Indeed, this may require that the SYSOP not allow unmoderated discussion
except within closed user groups whose members have all signed a pledge
of responsible behaviour and are all known to the SYSOP.

Seems pretty reasonable to me ...
--
/ Lars Poulsen, SMTS Software Engineer
  CMC Rockwell  lars@CMC.COM

mnemonic@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Mike Godwin) (09/22/90)

In article <4619@qip.UUCP> john@qip.UUCP (John Moore) writes:

>It is true that the Pentagon Papers were not for the public's eyes. However,
>they were not of criminal value (unlike credit card numbers) and did
>bear on major public issues.

Actually, the federal government argued strongly for the position that
the Pentagon Papers should be regarded as stolen *property*.

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (09/30/90)

In article <1990Sep20.221955.10879@spectrum.CMC.COM> lars@spectrum.CMC.COM (Lars Poulsen) writes:
>By analogy, it may not be unreasonable to hold the "publisher" (i.e. the
>owner/SYSOP) jointly liable with the poster for whatever appears on the
>bulletin board.

>Indeed, this may require that the SYSOP not allow unmoderated discussion
>except within closed user groups whose members have all signed a pledge
>of responsible behaviour and are all known to the SYSOP.

>Seems pretty reasonable to me ...

If this were the case, it would be the end of Usenet.  Further, it would
have a chilling effect on free speech via bulletin boards.  As a sysop,
I would have to be very careful to never allow anything out that was
in the least bit controversial, and would always want to err on the side of
not allowing a message to go out unless I was really sure there was no chance
of me getting in trouble for it.

Shouldn't the poster of the message be accountable for its contents?

Or by your reasoning, shouldn't the phone company have to listen to *all* the
phone conversations going on at any time to make sure nothing illicit was
being said, done or planned?  They tried this in Eastern Europe, you know.

Further, this would be a new and time-consuming burden on sysops and introduce
potentially long delays in messages getting out.

If a sysop let a bad message go out and it was gatewayed to a bunch of other
machines, or one was forged or somehow illicitly injected into the network,
by your reasoning wouldn't the owner/sysops of all the machines the
message went to be liable?  If that were the case, it would definitely be
the end, because nobody has the resources to monitor, for example, all the
traffic on the Usenet.

I used Prodigy several times, and it is a heavily censored system, i.e.
Prodigy's censors examine every article posted before it goes into the
message base, and people on it were complaining that the censors were
capricious, arbitrary and would not state reasons why specific articles
had been censored.

Not only is there nothing like talk.religion.*, talk.politics.*,
soc.motss on Prodigy (they dropped a forum in which fundamentalist Christians
and homosexuals and homosexual rights advocates were going at it, although
they claimed it was for a different reason), but you can't even mention
or talk about most products by name because advertising is a big part
of their revenue base (about 20% of your display is permanently dedicated
to advertising when using it -- ads are continually updated in this area the
whole time you're on) and they don't want anyone to get free advertising.
Consequently messages of the "Yeah, I bought a Frobozz 917 and it works really
well" are censored.  If this is IBM's view of the future of personal
electronic communications (Prodigy is a joint-venture of IBM and Sears), and
there is every reason to believe it is since this is what they chose to
provide, it is a bleak future indeed.  (The reason they do this, I think, is
that Prodigy is supposed to be a "family" system.  Under your one account you
can set up logins for your other family members.  So they don't want anything
in there that some kid is going to read.  But that restricts everything on the
system to a very low common denominator, namely that every message must be so
inoffensive that *nobody* is going to be offended by it... and that is
censorship.
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl
-- Usenet access: (713) 438-5018