[alt.folklore.urban] Heroic failures

vulcan@uiuc.edu (EvilTwin) (06/21/91)

In article <902@adimail.UUCP> tel@adimail.UUCP (Terry Monks) writes:
>(Peter van der Linden (linden@adapt.Eng.sun.com)) scripsit:
>>
>>                 q = q++;
>>

>This strange statement does exactly what I expected it to do - it assigns to
>q the value of q incremented - i.e. is the same as just q++. I actually compiled
>it to make sure.
>

>Terry "" Monks

The above has been shameless edited of all (most?) simmerage.

A co-worker and I tried the above on our respective machines.  He on an IBM
70/386 using Borland C++, I on a MicroVAX II using DEC's C version 3.1.  He
received a result of 6, I one of 5.  Why is this?  Does your chewing gum lose
it's flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Evil "Bring on the Terry's" Twin -

ps - the initial value of q was 5.

jma@reef.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.151408.1024@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> vulcan@uiuc.edu (EvilTwin) writes:
>A co-worker and I tried the above on our respective machines.  He on an IBM
>70/386 using Borland C++, I on a MicroVAX II using DEC's C version 3.1.  He
>received a result of 6, I one of 5.
>ps - the initial value of q was 5.

My platform, an Amiga, with SAS C 5.10a, also generates a 5.
Long live DECs and Amigas.  :)
--
John  M.  Adams   --*****--   Professional Student      ///
Internet: jma@cis.ufl.edu             Genie:  vlad     ///  Only the Amiga

rmp@crashnburn.Eng.Sun.COM (Richard Pottorff) (06/28/91)

In article <29378@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jma@reef.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:
In article <1991Jun25.151408.1024@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> vulcan@uiuc.edu (EvilTwin) writes:
>A co-worker and I tried the above on our respective machines.  He on an IBM
>70/386 using Borland C++, I on a MicroVAX II using DEC's C version 3.1.  He
>received a result of 6, I one of 5.
>ps - the initial value of q was 5.

#My platform, an Amiga, with SAS C 5.10a, also generates a 5.
#Long live DECs and Amigas.  :)
--
John  M.  Adams   --*****--   Professional Student      ///
							  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I would be too, but it doesn't pay enough :-)

I tried this two ways on my Turbo Pascal Compiler at home.

int q=0;
printf("\nq=q++=%d", q=q++);

q=q++=0;

and:
 q=q++;

 printf("\nq=%d", q);

 q=1

I don't know what this proves.

Ramblin Rick

tmkk@uiuc.edu (K. Khan) (06/29/91)

In article <15952@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> rmp@crashnburn.Eng.Sun.COM (Richard Pottorff) writes:

>I tried this two ways on my Turbo Pascal Compiler at home.
>			     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>int q=0;
>printf("\nq=q++=%d", q=q++);
>
>q=q++=0;
>
>and:
> q=q++;
>
> printf("\nq=%d", q);
>
> q=1

You did? And it compiled?!?!?!?!?!?!?

>I don't know what this proves.

It proves that you don't know the difference between a Pascal compiler
and a C compiler! ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)