[comp.os.os2.apps] Database experience?

js@uikku.tut.fi (Salmela Jarmo) (10/02/90)

It seems that currently the possible tools for OS/2
database application development are:

- Sybase/Microsoft SQLserver
- Gupta SQLbase
- Oracle OS/2
- IBM DataBase Manager

The best reviews have been given (by InfoWorld) to SQLserver.
Also it seems that most of the user interface tools are first
made for it (and for the IBM DBmanager in the EE).

But how it is with Gupta's SQLbase?
It has a relatively good user interface via SQLwindows
(almost as good as Mac's 4-Dimesion), and they claim to
follow the DB2 standards...
Any experience?

thanks for comments!

 - jarmo salmela

Tampere University Central Hospital

seg@ingres.com (scott e garfinkle) (10/10/90)

In article <1990Oct2.063157.25915@funet.fi> js@uikku.tut.fi (Salmela Jarmo) writes:

>It seems that currently the possible tools for OS/2
>database application development are:
>
>- Sybase/Microsoft SQLserver
>- Gupta SQLbase
>- Oracle OS/2
>- IBM DataBase Manager

You should also have Ingres for OS/2 on that list.  We have been shipping our
server and tools on OS/2 for several months.  For literature you can contact our
marketing people at (415) 748-2400 (or email to hotline@ingres.com).

This is not a commercial pitch, I just thought I should point out the
alternative.

	-Scott E. Garinkle
	OS/2 Server Development
	Ingres Corp.