[comp.os.os2.apps] Kermit Direct Connect under OS/2

lance@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Daniel A Lentz) (10/09/90)

Ok, here's a simple question:  I run a cable from the serial port to my
hp48sx and invoke Kermit under OS/2.  I put the calculator in server
mode.  I "send generic.48" from the computer -- and it hangs the Kermit.
I've tried both full screen and PM, and this only happens under the OS/2
edition -- DOS works fine.  (Not the DOS-BOX, mind you, which chokes
terribly).  I'm running 9600 from both ports, 8-None-binary, etc.  Any
advice?  I figured that maybe I'd get more OS/2 specific help here than
in misc.handhelds, since this is probably a really OS/2 specific thing...
thanks...

w-ronra@microsoft.UUCP (Ron RADKO) (10/12/90)

>Ok, here's a simple question:  I run a cable from the serial port to my
>hp48sx and invoke Kermit under OS/2.  I put the calculator in server
>mode.  I "send generic.48" from the computer -- and it hangs the Kermit.
>I've tried both full screen and PM, and this only happens under the OS/2
>edition -- DOS works fine.  (Not the DOS-BOX, mind you, which chokes
>terribly).  I'm running 9600 from both ports, 8-None-binary, etc.  Any
>advice?  I figured that maybe I'd get more OS/2 specific help here than
>in misc.handhelds, since this is probably a really OS/2 specific thing...
>thanks...

Hmm.  I just received my latest version of OS/2 for a Toshiba.  Gee there's
a little note with it.  It says:  do not attempt to run such programs as
lap link and cross talk from the dos compatibility box.  I guess that's
why Boyan and cross talk and even the windows terminal program that I tried
running failed.  I've come accross the same problem needless to say, as
I use the com port to transfer files from 5.25 inch floppies.  Anyways,
the only two solutions that I have found are to either boot DOS if you want
to use any standard protocols, or to use the OS/2 terminal program if you
want to transfer just ASCII.  If anyone else has come up with some solutions,
or knows what is causing the problem, I would love to hear about them.
I'm currently looking into writing a terminal program for OS/2 that will
allow standard protocol transfer.  But, it'll be awhile before it's
completed.

Ron Radko

ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (10/12/90)

In article <58157@microsoft.UUCP> w-ronra@microsoft.UUCP (Ron RADKO) writes:
>Hmm.  I just received my latest version of OS/2 for a Toshiba.  Gee there's
>a little note with it.  It says:  do not attempt to run such programs as
>lap link and cross talk from the dos compatibility box.
>...  If anyone else has come up with some solutions,
>or knows what is causing the problem, I would love to hear about them.

I'm not sure if I understand what problem you're having.  I use kermit
routinely from the Dos box, along with a couple of other terminal
programs.  The only catches I know of are 1) You must "setcom40 com1=on"
before you can use the com port and 2) for some combinations of hardware,
dos software, and OS/2 syslevels you need to turn off hardware buffering
with a command "mode com1 xxxx,,,,buffer=off" (where xxxx is the baud
rate).  You must issue this from OS/2; do it from a startup.cmd file.
And note it is buffer=, not buffers= as shown in the documentation.
The problem requiring this buffer= option appeared with 1.2, it seems to
be fixed in current syslevels.

Alan Ballard                   | Internet: ballard@ucs.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG
University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-228-3074
Vancouver B.C. Canada V6R 1W5  |      Fax: 604-228-5116

Conrad.Bullock@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Conrad Bullock) (10/13/90)

In article <58157@microsoft.UUCP> w-ronra@microsoft.UUCP (Ron RADKO) writes:
>Hmm.  I just received my latest version of OS/2 for a Toshiba.  Gee there's
>a little note with it.  It says:  do not attempt to run such programs as
>lap link and cross talk from the dos compatibility box.  I guess that's
>why Boyan and cross talk and even the windows terminal program that I tried
>running failed.  I've come accross the same problem needless to say, as
>I use the com port to transfer files from 5.25 inch floppies.  Anyways,
>the only two solutions that I have found are to either boot DOS if you want
>to use any standard protocols, or to use the OS/2 terminal program if you
>want to transfer just ASCII.  If anyone else has come up with some solutions,
>or knows what is causing the problem, I would love to hear about them.
>I'm currently looking into writing a terminal program for OS/2 that will
>allow standard protocol transfer.  But, it'll be awhile before it's
>completed.

I use Procomm Plus under the DOS box with OS/2, with no problems, at
2400 or 9600 baud. Under OS/2 protected mode, I have had no problems
with Logicomm.

--
Conrad Bullock                     | Domain:   conrad@comp.vuw.ac.nz
Victoria University of Wellington, |     or:   conrad@actrix.co.nz

kelpie@nwnexus.WA.COM (Anthony C. Garland) (10/15/90)

w-ronra@microsoft.UUCP (Ron RADKO) writes:
>Hmm.  I just received my latest version of OS/2 for a Toshiba.  Gee there's
>a little note with it.  It says:  do not attempt to run such programs as
>lap link and cross talk from the dos compatibility box.

For what it's worth...

I've had good success running laplink III from within the DOS compatibility
box under OS/2.  But maybe that was because I did it while working at the
site of the vendor who developed it (Traveling Software). ;-)
| Anthony C. Garland, P.E.                                 Garland Consulting |
| 1373 S. Bonanza Alley,                                       (206) 387-6390 |
| Camano Island, WA 98292                               kelpie@nwnexus.WA.COM |