[comp.os.os2.apps] OS2 Comm programs

seg@ingres.com (scott e garfinkle) (10/16/90)

In article <58157@microsoft.UUCP> w-ronra@microsoft.UUCP (Ron RADKO) writes:
>... the only two solutions that I have found are to either boot DOS if you want
>to use any standard protocols, or to use the OS/2 terminal program if you
>want to transfer just ASCII.  If anyone else has come up with some solutions,
>or knows what is causing the problem, I would love to hear about them.
>I'm currently looking into writing a terminal program for OS/2 that will
>allow standard protocol transfer.  But, it'll be awhile before it's
>completed.

I have been using the TE2 communications program for OS2 for the last few
days.  The current version is 1.10B.  It comes with x/y/zmodem built in, and
has kermit available as an "external protocol".  TE2 is shareware from "Oberon
Software".  Their BBS is at (507) 388-1154, and by voice at (507) 388-2848.
I have been very pleased with the program.  It does a lot of things right.

By the way, I had been using procomm+ in the DOS box successfully (even at
14.4kbaud) prior to getting TE2.

	-scott garfinkle
	Ingres Corp.
Standard Disclaimer

ericbr@microsoft.UUCP (Eric BROWN) (10/22/90)

In article <1990Oct16.161402.1393@ingres.Ingres.COM> seg@beaver.Ingres.COM (scott e garfinkle) writes:
>I have been using the TE2 communications program for OS2 for the last few
>days.  The current version is 1.10B.  It comes with x/y/zmodem built in, and
>has kermit available as an "external protocol".
TE/2 works OK, but it has several flaws that make it not so nice.  First,
TE/2's Zmodem transfer tends to abort on long files.  Not nice.
Second, the terminal emulation is sadly lacking.  There is no VT52 emulation,
and the VT100 emulation doesn't know how to get out of reverse video.
I've heard that Hyperaccess is a very nice comm program for OS/2, but since
it's commercial, I haven't investigated it.  Until then, I'm still using TE/2,
but I'm going to drop it like a hot rock once something good comes along.

goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (10/27/90)

In article <14@microsoft.UUCP>, ericbr@microsoft.UUCP (Eric BROWN) writes:
> I've heard that Hyperaccess is a very nice comm program for OS/2, but since
> it's commercial, I haven't investigated it.  Until then, I'm still using TE/2,
> but I'm going to drop it like a hot rock once something good comes along.
Well, I do use Hyperaccess, but I think it's less than splendiferous.  The
vt200 emulation is nowhere near 100% (it really screws up trying to display
NEWS for instance!), and I have never been able to remap the keyboard. It
also does not do zmodem, which means that for long file transfers, I'm
stuck with standard y, which ain't blazing fast.  And it has lots of built-ins,
like it has initialisation strings that it sends to your modem, whether
you want it or not.  So I don't think you're missing that much.  Qvt/PM is
almost a good program, I think.  But its handling of directories a little
weird, and it also does not support remapping the keyboard.