[comp.os.os2.apps] What to do with Designer

so-ecs@stekt1.oulu.fi (Juha Ruotsalainen ti) (11/01/90)

I have a problem with Designer 3.0x, it wont start under OS/2. How do
I install it correctly?? Manuals
talk only about DOS, and how to install
Designer under DOS.
Thanks...

goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (11/08/90)

In article <SO-ECS.90Nov1112522@stekt1.oulu.fi>, so-ecs@stekt1.oulu.fi (Juha Ruotsalainen ti) writes:
> I have a problem with Designer 3.0x, it wont start under OS/2. How do
> I install it correctly?? Manuals
> talk only about DOS, and how to install
> Designer under DOS.
> Thanks...

You have to install it under Windows 3.0, and then run Windows 3.0 under OS/2.
(This, unbelievably, works.)  If you do this, you'll only have access to
real mode windows 3.0, because (obviously) the other two modes involve
switching the 286 or 386 chip into protected mode, and OS/2 has that all
locked up.

Micrografx also have a Designer for os/2 PM; it's a little buggy & slow
right now, and it is based on Windows Designer 2.0 (so no Bezier curves,
etc., etc.)  But it is another possibility; I think it's faster than running
Designer under Windows under OS/2.

			Adrian Goldman

Adrian Goldman                         |  Internet:  Goldman@MBCL.Rutgers.Edu
Molecular Biology Computing Laboratory |  Bitnet:    Goldman@BioVAX
Waksman Insitute,                      |  Phone:     (908) 932-4864
Rutgers University,                    |  Fax:       (908) 932-5735
Piscataway, NJ 08855 USA               |

EAF@.Prime.COM (11/08/90)

There is a specific version of Designer for OS/2 but it is not labeled 3.0x
to the best of my knowledge.

The version of Designer for OS/2 comes with a set of install instructions.
Unfortunately there is still a bug in the driver for the 8514a.

Ed