[comp.os.os2.apps] Terminal Emulator or How Can I Read the Serial Port?

bnfb@cs.washington.edu (Bjorn Freeman-Benson) (12/14/90)

Hello, does anyone in netland know of a terminal emulator that runs
under OS/2?  One with a file transfer protocol like Xmodem or
Kermit?  Failing that, do any of you experts know how to get
    COPY COM1: file
to work?  I can make writing work:
    COPY file COM1:
but not reading.  Sigh.  I tried:
    COPY/A COM1: file
and typed lots of ^Z <CR>s at the other end, but to no avail.

Thanks for any help,
Bjorn N. Freeman-Benson

tholen@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (David Tholen) (12/14/90)

Bjorn Freeman-Benson writes:

> Hello, does anyone in netland know of a terminal emulator that runs
> under OS/2?  One with a file transfer protocol like Xmodem or
> Kermit?

I know of five; there may be others.

(1) The communications software included in OS/2 Extended Edition.
(2) LogiCOMM
(3) HyperACCESS/5
(4) ChipChat
(5) Kermit

Kermit is available in both Presentation Manager and character versions.
ChipChat is also a PM program.  LogiCOMM and HyperACCESS/5 are both character
based programs.  You should be able to find Kermit at some anonymous ftp
site.  ChipChat and HyperACCESS/5 are commercial packages.  I believe the
latest version of LogiCOMM is shareware; an earlier version can be found
in the SIMTEL20 archive.

jimm@CSUFresno.EDU (Jim Michael) (12/14/90)

bnfb@cs.washington.edu (Bjorn Freeman-Benson) writes:

>Hello, does anyone in netland know of a terminal emulator that runs
>under OS/2?  One with a file transfer protocol like Xmodem or
>Kermit?

There is an OS/2 version of Kermit available via anonymous FTP from
Columbia University (alias keepers of the great Kermit flame).  I have
used it and it works fine.  One little hint is that it will not share a
COM port with OS/2 Communications Manager.  As I have only one COM port
I have to re-boot to a version of config.sys that has the establishes
the correct COM environment and not run com. mgr. when I want to use
Kermit.

I assume that you are running SE.  In EE (I run 1.2) Communications
Manager supports XMODEM in the ASYNC emulators (VT100 and 3101).

I don't have Columbia's FTP address handy.  Perhaps someone could post
or if you e-mail me I can look for it.

--
Jim Michael - jim_michael@CSUFresno.EDU

My opinions are my own ... what else?

efeustel@tiger1.Prime.COM (Ed Feustel) (12/14/90)

I know of two OS/2 terminal emulators: Cawthorn's ChipChat and
Hilgraeves Hyper Access 5.
I like the features described in Chip Chat but couldn't afford it.

I use and have used HA5 Version 1.1 for OS/2 for about 6 months now.  It
works very well
under full screen and more slowly in a window under standard edition.
Under extended edition,
it can not find ports 2 and 3.  It supports scripting, about 14
different terminal emulations,
and about 6 different ?-modems.  It also offers direct support of about
20 different modem
families.

I do have a problem when telneting from my host to another host and when
emulating a terminal,
I get too many carriage returns.  Haven't been able to figure that one
out yet.

HA5 got best buy notices from a number of magazines.  A copy that runs
with DOS is provided
in the OS/2 pack.  Costs a bit over $115 mail order.

baer@uwovax.uwo.ca (12/15/90)

In article <10656@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, tholen@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (David Tholen) writes:
> Bjorn Freeman-Benson writes:
>
>> Hello, does anyone in netland know of a terminal emulator that runs
>> under OS/2?  One with a file transfer protocol like Xmodem or
>> Kermit?
>
> I know of five; there may be others.
>
> (1) The communications software included in OS/2 Extended Edition.
> (2) LogiCOMM
> (3) HyperACCESS/5
> (4) ChipChat
> (5) Kermit
There is also a package called RexTerm.  It supports most file transfer
protocols (Xmodem,Ymodem,Kermit, etc.), and is reasonably cheap ($99 as
I recall) -- though not as cheap as freeware.  It is not a PM application,
but I run it fine in a PM window.   For "full flexibility", you should
buy Rexx to go with it, but I run this program without any difficulty
without Rexx (I can reset defaults, change colors, etc. with no difficulty).

Douglas Baer,
University of Western Ontario, London, Canada N6A 5C2
Internet: BAER@UWO.CA    Bitnet: BAER@UWOVAX

feustel@netcom.UUCP (David Feustel) (12/15/90)

Telix runs in the OS/2 compatibility box and works like a champ.
Supports Zmodem and is available for free from most bbs. ($35
registration fee). Also includes a script compiler. Absolutely the
best unadvertised deal around.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: netcom.uucp

stever@Octopus.COM (Steve Resnick ) (12/16/90)

In article <18803@netcom.UUCP> feustel@netcom.UUCP (David Feustel) writes:
>Telix runs in the OS/2 compatibility box and works like a champ.
>Supports Zmodem and is available for free from most bbs. ($35
>registration fee). Also includes a script compiler. Absolutely the
>best unadvertised deal around.
>--
>David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
>EMAIL: netcom.uucp

I have a couple OS/2 terminal emulators .... see .sig for my BBS number ....
Steve

steve.resnick@f105.n143.z1.FIDONET.ORG - or - apple!camphq!105!steve.resnick
Flames, grammar errors, spelling errrors >/dev/nul
The Asylum OS/2 BBS - (408)263-8017 IFNA 1:143/105.0