[comp.os.os2.apps] OS/2 Source Code Control Systems

mbrown@skydome.austin.ibm.com (Michael Brown) (02/15/91)

    I would like to find out which source code control systems are in use for
OS/2, their cost and comments from users.

    I've used PVCS, but that's a tad more than we want to pay.  Actually, free
would be best!  ftp is a problem, but can be worked around.

    Thanks for any pointers.

    Mike Brown
    On contract to Advanced PM Development, Austin, Texas.

Disclaimer: I don't know what I'm saying, so don't hold it against me.

seg@ingres.com (scott e garfinkle) (02/19/91)

In article <5350@awdprime.UUCP> mbrown@skydome.austin.ibm.com (Michael Brown) writes:
>    I would like to find out which source code control systems are in use for
>OS/2, their cost and comments from users.
>
>    I've used PVCS, but that's a tad more than we want to pay.  Actually, free
>would be best!  ftp is a problem, but can be worked around.

The other big problem with PVCS (besides the cost) is it's lack of support
for HPFS-acceptable long file names.  I'd suggest looking at Tichy's RCS,
for which OS2 patches were posted a couple months back.  It doesn't have
all the bells and whistles of PVCS, but it's free, and if you don't like
the way it works, you've got the source code.

I suppose that in fairness to Sage I should point out that our development
group is using PVCS; however, I still use RCS for my personal stuff.

	-Scott E. Garfinkle
Standard Disclaimer