[comp.os.os2.apps] Cardfile compatible with MS-Windows Cardfile?

lowey@sask.usask.ca (02/16/91)

Hi,

  Before I had OS/2, I used MS-Windows and the utilities it had (cardfile,
notepad, calendar, etc.) to store quite a lot of information. (I run a Fidonet
BBS and use the cardfile to keep track of my BBS user's names, addresses, etc.)

  Now that I have OS/2, I would like COMPATIBLE programs.  In other words,
I would like to take all my data currently in MS-Windows Cardfile / Calendar
/ etc. and use those files directly with applications that run under OS/2.

  Are there any OS/2 utilities compatible with the MS-Windows utilities?  If
not, does anyone know the file formats for the various MS-Windows utilities
so I can attempt to write my own versions of the programs?

ADVthanksANCE

- Kevin Lowey

goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (02/18/91)

In article <1991Feb15.101511.1@sask.usask.ca>, lowey@sask.usask.ca writes:
> Hi,
>
>   Before I had OS/2, I used MS-Windows and the utilities it had (cardfile,
> notepad, calendar, etc.) to store quite a lot of information. (I run a Fidonet
> BBS and use the cardfile to keep track of my BBS user's names, addresses, etc.)
>
>   Now that I have OS/2, I would like COMPATIBLE programs.  In other words,
> I would like to take all my data currently in MS-Windows Cardfile / Calendar
> / etc. and use those files directly with applications that run under OS/2.
>
>   Are there any OS/2 utilities compatible with the MS-Windows utilities?  If
> not, does anyone know the file formats for the various MS-Windows utilities
> so I can attempt to write my own versions of the programs?
>
> ADVthanksANCE
>
> - Kevin Lowey

I understood that MS has ported all of their little utils to os/2 using
their software migration kit.  Not that I've SEEN any of them, mind you.  If
you find them, would you post their location?

	Adrian
--
Adrian Goldman                         |  Internet:  Goldman@MBCL.Rutgers.Edu
Molecular Biology Computing Laboratory |  Bitnet:    Goldman@BioVAX

ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (02/19/91)

In article <314.27bfb565@mbcl.rutgers.edu> goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu writes:
>I understood that MS has ported all of their little utils to os/2 using
>their software migration kit.  Not that I've SEEN any of them, mind you.  If
>you find them, would you post their location?

These are available from at least one of the BBS's listed in the
Microsoft Systems Journal.  I downloaded them all (several megabytes worth),
but haven't posted them anywhere else because they are TOTAL JUNK.

Several of them wouldn't run at all on my system, a vanilla PS/2 mod 70
with IBM's 1.2 SE.  Those that would run looked terrible.  And all of them
caused various strange and unacceptable behaviour (such as somehow
causing mouse double-clicks to no longer work), which required reboots
to fix.

These were posted as a companion to an MSJ article extolling the
advantages of using the SMK to port to OS/2.   They aren't a very good
advertisement for it.

Alan Ballard                   | Internet: ballard@ucs.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG
University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-228-3074
Vancouver B.C. Canada V6R 1W5  |      Fax: 604-228-5116

wbonner@eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) (02/19/91)

In article <314.27bfb565@mbcl.rutgers.edu> goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu writes:
>In article <1991Feb15.101511.1@sask.usask.ca>, lowey@sask.usask.ca writes:
>> Hi,
>>
>>   Before I had OS/2, I used MS-Windows and the utilities it had (cardfile,
>> notepad, calendar, etc.) to store quite a lot of information. (I run a Fidonet
>I understood that MS has ported all of their little utils to os/2 using
>their software migration kit.  Not that I've SEEN any of them, mind you.  If
>you find them, would you post their location?

I saw these before Windows 3 came out while I was at MS.  They were using some
DLL libs that had to be run, and were very clunky.  I think MS basicly dropped
them, when it decided not to go with that style of porting.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they ever made it past the testing stage.

Wim
--
|  wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu  |
| 27313853@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu |

conrad@cavebbs.gen.nz (Conrad Bullock) (02/20/91)

In article <314.27bfb565@mbcl.rutgers.edu> goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu writes:
>In article <1991Feb15.101511.1@sask.usask.ca>, lowey@sask.usask.ca writes:
>>   Before I had OS/2, I used MS-Windows and the utilities it had (cardfile,
>> notepad, calendar, etc.) to store quite a lot of information. (I run a Fidonet
>> BBS and use the cardfile to keep track of my BBS user's names, addresses, etc.)

>I understood that MS has ported all of their little utils to os/2 using
>their software migration kit.  Not that I've SEEN any of them, mind you.  If
>you find them, would you post their location?

I downloaded the SMK DLLs, and the SMK version of Solitaire from BIX.
CARDFILE is also on BIX.

The Solitaire program seems to work identically to the Windows 3.0
version - I've had quite a bit of fun playing with it!
The only problem that I had, was that after using it, you can't double
click on a full screen group to select it - selecting PM apps with a
double click works fine though.

If there is an OS/2 ftp site I could put them on, I'd quite happily do
so. I could even submit them to comp.binaries.os2.

--
Conrad Bullock,                Domain: conrad@cavebbs.gen.nz
The Cave MegaBBS,              BBS Ph: + 64 4 643-429