[comp.os.os2.apps] Mouse Pointer lost with Word for Dos

Larry Belan <BP3@psuvm.psu.edu> (03/21/91)

Has anyone else run into this situation?

I have both Word 5.0b and 5.5 on my 386 with OS/2 EE 1.3.
My logitech c7 mouse is setup in os/2 as a visi-on on com1.
   The mouse works in both DOS and os/2 modes fine...except
   when I run wither copy of WORD as an OS/2 application.

   With the screen options set as a graphics screen (under word)
    the mouse pointer dissapears.

   However, if I run WORD under the DOS box, in graphics modes,
    The pointer works fine.

My display hardware is true blue IBM VGA adapter/display.

BTW, the word display modes seem to change between DOS and OS/2.
     Graphics 25x80 in DOS loads as Graphics 60x80 in OS/2.

Larry Belan
PSU - Fayette Campus Computer Center
bp3@psuvm.bitnet

ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (03/22/91)

In article <91080.112457BP3@psuvm.psu.edu> Larry Belan <BP3@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:
>   The mouse works in both DOS and os/2 modes fine...except
>   when I run wither copy of WORD as an OS/2 application.
>   With the screen options set as a graphics screen (under word)
>    the mouse pointer dissapears.

The readme.doc file that comes with Word 5.0 describes exactly this
behaviour.  See the section "Mouse Support and OS/2".
I don't have 5.5, but sounds like they still haven't fixed it. (Nearly
two years after the release of 5.0.  Another indication of just how much effort
Microsoft are putting in to making OS/2 a success :-(  .)

Alan Ballard                   | Internet: ballard@ucs.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG
University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-228-3074
Vancouver B.C. Canada V6R 1W5  |      Fax: 604-228-5116

n8840371@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (Todd Crowe) (03/22/91)

BP3@psuvm.psu.edu (Larry Belan) writes:
>Has anyone else run into this situation?
>
>I have both Word 5.0b and 5.5 on my 386 with OS/2 EE 1.3.
>My logitech c7 mouse is setup in os/2 as a visi-on on com1.
>   The mouse works in both DOS and os/2 modes fine...except
>   when I run wither copy of WORD as an OS/2 application.
>
>   With the screen options set as a graphics screen (under word)
>    the mouse pointer dissapears.

That is correct.  As I recall it is a problem with Word and the last I heard
there was no fix.  Either you get the mouse in text mode or you don't in
graphics.