[comp.os.os2.apps] Word for Dos and MS Support

lanham@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu (Ryan Lanham) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar21.175546.3176@unixg.ubc.ca> ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) writes:

>Another indication of just how much effort
>Microsoft are putting in to making OS/2 a success :-(  .)
>

>Alan Ballard                   | Internet: ballard@ucs.ubc.ca

In a recent meeting with fairly senior MS people that was not non-disclosure
I saw them distance themselves from OS/2 1.3 rather strongly.  They
said IBM had done most of the work and that they were not in a position
to support it too much.  Interesting, since they just started shipping
it (MS 1.3 that is).

On another point, has anyone gotten SQL Server to work with any
IBM version of OS/2 and LAN Server?  I can't.  Or, barring that,
has anyone been able to set up any working client server OS/2
database product where the clients are running DOS/Win30 and
the network is an IBM token ring running either LAN Server or
LAN Manager.  Trouble free success stories would warm my heart.
The closest we have gotten is with MS Lan Manager and SQL
Server, but with IBM OS/2 things seem to need a new set
of disks from MS.  Haven't tested those yet.

I would think that the first guy to make a client server
OS/2 system work with Windows 3.0 clients is going to make a
lot of money.  It also strikes me that only MS and IBM can
put this combo together at this point.  I'm wondering if
and when either company is going to figure that out.

Any Gupta OS/2 experience out there?  What did you think?

Regards,

Ryan