[comp.os.os2.apps] TAR for OS/2 HPFS

lairdkb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) (03/20/91)

Anyone know of tar for OS/2 that supports HPFS naming (not just 8.3!)?

Thanks!

--kyler

plyon@ut-emx.uucp (Paul Lyon) (03/21/91)

In article <8295@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> lairdkb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) writes:
>Anyone know of tar for OS/2 that supports HPFS naming (not just 8.3!)?
>
>Thanks!
>
>--kyler

A port of the GNU tar programme to OS/2 is available in Volume 2 of
comp.binaries.os2, archived on the machine mims-iris.waterloo.edu. This port
does support HPFS and is long-filename aware.

The port was done by Kai-Uwe Rommel of the Technical Univesity of Munich,
who has also ported quite a number of other useful programmes to OS/2,
including such things as GNU awk, perl, compress, flex, and bisoon. In
view of how little in the way of public domain and shareware programmes
is available for OS/2, it seems to me that all of us OS/2 users on the
net owe Rommel a vote of thanks for these efforts, which have
significantly increased that number.

Hope this helps!

Paul Lyon

rommel@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (03/21/91)

In article <8295@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> lairdkb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) writes:
>Anyone know of tar for OS/2 that supports HPFS naming (not just 8.3!)?

My port of GNU tar to OS/2 supports true long HPFS file names but not
extended attributes. I had posted a previous version to
comp.binaries.os2 but this is no longer up to date.

Should I submit the current version again (I mean, is there more
interest from other people)? Otherwise I can send it to you directly.

Kai Uwe Rommel

tok@slammer.UUCP (Terry Kane) (03/22/91)

Yes, please submit the latest version. thx

kushner@ux5.lbl.gov (Gary Kushner) (03/27/91)

Please post.  Thanks.

-Gary

Ramesh_Rama_Pendakur@cup.portal.com (04/02/91)

You may get a very large set of UNIX utilities (over 200) ported from BSD 4.3
for OS/2 with HPFS support from Argosoft Corp (415) 795-7921.

The collection of programs is called ARGO/UX 4.3 and has tar, csh, etc.