[comp.os.os2.apps] Excel 3.0 for OS/2

tshea@vax1.mankato.msus.edu (04/02/91)

Excel 3.0 for OS/2 is an not a mindless port like Word.  For all our OS/2
users, we recommend Excel over Lotus.

tim shea

psmith@iies.ecn.purdue.edu (Paul F Smith) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr2.091614.402@vax1.mankato.msus.edu> tshea@vax1.mankato.msus.edu writes:
>Excel 3.0 for OS/2 is an not a mindless port like Word.  For all our OS/2
>users, we recommend Excel over Lotus.
>
>tim shea

Is Excel 3.0 for OS/2 a seperate product from the Windows version?
I have OS/2 for Win3 and the doc mentions OS/2. Did I get both versions,
or do I have to buy them seperatly? (I tried installing under OS/2, it
didn't work)

Thanks!
Paul F. Smith - ADPC - Purdue University     psmith@ecn.purdue.edu
<someday I'll think of something profound to put here, maybe>

tshea@vax1.mankato.msus.edu (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr2.215138.26234@noose.ecn.purdue.edu>, psmith@iies.ecn.purdue.edu (Paul F Smith) writes:

> Is Excel 3.0 for OS/2 a seperate product from the Windows version?
> I have OS/2 for Win3 and the doc mentions OS/2. Did I get both versions,
> or do I have to buy them seperatly? (I tried installing under OS/2, it
> didn't work)
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Paul F. Smith - ADPC - Purdue University     psmith@ecn.purdue.edu
> <someday I'll think of something profound to put here, maybe>

No.  Microsoft is too lazy to come out with two seperate manuals for the OS/2
and Windows version of Excel.  Our Word for PM manuals are the same way.

tim shea

joeb@hpnmdla.hp.com (Joe Barnhart) (04/05/91)

I just called Microsoft, and they say that Excel version 3.0 is NOT available
for OS/2 yet.  The latest release of Excel for OS/2 is version 2.21.

Regarding the quality of the port, I find it somewhat disappointing.  MS
didn't use any of the power of OS/2, especially multi-threading.  They
had the chance to create a spreadsheet which could _truly_ calculate in
the background, but they muffed it.

Excel has had legendary problems printing to LaserJets.  MS apparently
didn't follow all of their own rules for OS/2 apps with Excel.  (So
what's new??)

I've heard that Lotus 1-2-3 G is a far better OS/2 spreadsheet.  If it
weren't for its high price, I'd have bought it instead of Excel.

-- Joe B.

#include <standard.disclaimer>

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (04/07/91)

I've done only limited printing to HP Laserjet II from EXCEL, but I've
never had any problems with it.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: netcom.com