[comp.os.os2.apps] Excel for OS/2

GD.SAR@forsythe.stanford.edu (Sandy Rockowitz) (04/02/91)

Has anyone had experience using the OS/2 version of Excel?
Is it as mindless a port as Word appears to be, or does it actually
take advantage OS/2?

Sandy Rockowitz
gd.sar@forsythe.stanford.edu

meyer@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Don Meyer) (04/02/91)

GD.SAR@forsythe.stanford.edu (Sandy Rockowitz) writes:

>Has anyone had experience using the OS/2 version of Excel?
>Is it as mindless a port as Word appears to be, or does it actually
>take advantage OS/2?

Excel for OS/2 would seem to be an application that is actually ported to PM,
rather than recompiled with that infernal SMK.  It works quite well -- I use
it exclusively over Lotus 123.

However, I've found that our favorite Microsoft programmers still haven't
mastered the "art" of using more than one thread -- the hourglass still appears
during recalc.

(This is version 2.2, not 3.0.  Who knows? they might have fixed it in 3.0.)

Don
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
	Don Meyer		internet:	dlmeyer@uiuc.edu
"He who restricts another's right to self-defense is accomplice to
 any crime committed because of the lack of self defense."

edwardj@microsoft.UUCP (Edward JUNG) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr1.232008.17288@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> meyer@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Don Meyer) writes:
[...]
>However, I've found that our favorite Microsoft programmers still haven't
>mastered the "art" of using more than one thread -- the hourglass still appears
>during recalc.

You are correct: Excel for OS/2 is not multi-threaded.

--
Edward Jung
Microsoft Corp.

My opinions do not reflect any policy of my employer.

rommel@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr1.211419.17076@morrow.stanford.edu> GD.SAR@forsythe.stanford.edu (Sandy Rockowitz) writes:
>Has anyone had experience using the OS/2 version of Excel?
>Is it as mindless a port as Word appears to be, or does it actually
>take advantage OS/2?

I use Excel frequently. It works like the Windows version. I don't feel
much of OS/2 specific extensions (multithreading) but it has some extra
features over the Windows version and Excel is not as big an application
as Word is, so the drawbacks from not using multiple threads are not as
big as with Word.

I think as long as we don't have that much applications for OS/2 it is
better to have this one than no version of Excel. And it seems more
stable than the Windows version. I never had any errors.

Kai Uwe Rommel

colin@la.excelan.com (Colin Goldstein) (04/06/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1991 02:05:13 GMT

In article <1991Apr1.211419.17076@morrow.stanford.edu> GD.SAR@forsythe.stanford.edu (Sandy Rockowitz) writes:
>Has anyone had experience using the OS/2 version of Excel?
>Is it as mindless a port as Word appears to be, or does it actually
>take advantage OS/2?

I've used it and it's a mindless port. What else would you expect in
light of recent events???

Colin
|  The views expressed here are my own.  | Norm, what are you       |
|  They do not necessarily represent     | up too???                |
|  the views expressed by my employer.   |                          |
|                         ---------------| My ideal weight if I     |
|  colin@novell.com       | Novell Inc., | were 11 feet tall.       |
|  uunet!novell!colin     | San Jose     |                 - Cheers |

ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr1.211419.17076@morrow.stanford.edu> GD.SAR@forsythe.stanford.edu (Sandy Rockowitz) writes:
>Has anyone had experience using the OS/2 version of Excel?
>Is it as mindless a port as Word appears to be, or does it actually
>take advantage OS/2?
The currently released version (2.2) is a genuine conversion(i.e., it doesn't
use the SMK/WLO porting library), but it isn't a very good adaptation --
no use of threads, and poor use of virtual memory.

My understanding is that the new version (3.0) is supposed to be out in a
few months (MS said "within six months of the release of the Windows version).
I've also heard that it *IS* a mindless/SMK/WLO port, so will perform
even worse than 2.2.
I hope this is wrong.

Alan Ballard                   | Internet: ballard@ucs.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG
University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-822-3074
Vancouver B.C. Canada V6R 1Z2  |      Fax: 604-822-5116

tshea@vax1.mankato.msus.edu (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr6.060154.4056@unixg.ubc.ca>, ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) writes:
> In article <1991Apr1.211419.17076@morrow.stanford.edu> GD.SAR@forsythe.stanford.edu (Sandy Rockowitz) writes:
>>Has anyone had experience using the OS/2 version of Excel?
>>Is it as mindless a port as Word appears to be, or does it actually
>>take advantage OS/2?
> The currently released version (2.2) is a genuine conversion(i.e., it doesn't
> use the SMK/WLO porting library), but it isn't a very good adaptation --
> no use of threads, and poor use of virtual memory.
>
> My understanding is that the new version (3.0) is supposed to be out in a
> few months (MS said "within six months of the release of the Windows version).
> I've also heard that it *IS* a mindless/SMK/WLO port, so will perform
> even worse than 2.2.
> I hope this is wrong.
>
> Alan Ballard                   | Internet: ballard@ucs.ubc.ca
> University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG
> University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-822-3074
> Vancouver B.C. Canada V6R 1Z2  |      Fax: 604-822-5116

For the usual managers and secretaries, Excel 3.0 is a gift from god.

For people who actually do something serious with spreadsheets, Excel 3.0 (from
my tests of the beta version we have) is still a 'mindless' port but it
performs a lot better then 2.2.

tim shea
International IS&DP
3M, Inc.

my opinions are my own...

ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr6.060154.4056@unixg.ubc.ca> I wrote:
>My understanding is that the new version (3.0) is supposed to be out in a
>few months (MS said "within six months of the release of the Windows version).
>I've also heard that it *IS* a mindless/SMK/WLO port, so will perform
>even worse than 2.2.
>I hope this is wrong.

I've since been told by somebody within Microsoft that Excel 3.0 uses the
same "layer" technique as the previous 2.x version, and that it won't be just
an SMK port.  Still no multi-threading, but it's supposed to be more responsive
than before.

The same contact at MS also suggests the release version of WLO will
perform a lot better than the pre-release versions -- there's been further
work on Window creation and DC creation which were slow points in the
pre-release versions.

I remain personally skeptical about WLO as an approach to creating
high-quality PM apps.