[comp.os.os2.apps] Excel 2.2 not printing with 1.3 ATM

rommel@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (04/10/91)

I have been using Excel 2.2 for a while now, with 1.2 first and with 1.3
now. Since installing the OS/2 version 1.3 (with Adobe Type Manager)
Excel does no longer print. When I choose the print command, the print
dialog box appears, after choosing Ok, the Cancel-Box appears and it
begins spooling. The job appears in the Print Manager's queue and after a
while Excel finishes spooling and the Cancel-Box disappears, everything
without any error message. But the job hangs in the Print Manager's
queue and never starts printing. I have already tried to copy the
created spool file directly to LPT1 (I use an Epson LQ-500 24pin printer
with the driver supplied with OS/2 1.3), but it seems to be incomplete.
I assume that Excel aborted during printing because of an internal error
but issued no warning to the user.

Doe anyone have an idea what to do now?

Kai Uwe Rommel

/* Kai Uwe Rommel, Munich ----- rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de */

DOS ... is still a real mode only non-reentrant interrupt
handler, and always will be.                -Russell Williams (MS)

goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr10.064905.25697@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE>, rommel@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Kai-Uwe Rommel) writes:
> I have been using Excel 2.2 for a while now, with 1.2 first and with 1.3
> now. Since installing the OS/2 version 1.3 (with Adobe Type Manager)
> Excel does no longer print. When I choose the print command, the print
> dialog box appears, after choosing Ok, the Cancel-Box appears and it
> begins spooling. The job appears in the Print Manager's queue and after a
> while Excel finishes spooling and the Cancel-Box disappears, everything
> without any error message. But the job hangs in the Print Manager's
> queue and never starts printing. I have already tried to copy the
> created spool file directly to LPT1 (I use an Epson LQ-500 24pin printer
> with the driver supplied with OS/2 1.3), but it seems to be incomplete.
> I assume that Excel aborted during printing because of an internal error
> but issued no warning to the user.
>
> Doe anyone have an idea what to do now?
	I haven't had this problem. I've even used ATM fonts that are not
on my postscript printer without any problem under 1.3.  Could it be the
version of excel you're using?  Isn't the latest excel for os/2 2.21?

		Adrian

--
Adrian Goldman                         |  Internet:  Goldman@MBCL.Rutgers.Edu
Molecular Biology Computing Laboratory |  Bitnet:    Goldman@BioVAX

d88-pfo@dront.nada.kth.se (Peter Forsberg) (04/12/91)

[...]

Excel 2.2 has known problems with printing (performance and others). There
is a free upgrade to 2.21 available from where you bought Excel.

Generally, in the case with jobs getting stuck in the queue, you should
carefully check all information that you can get with "Job info" against
your printer and queue settings. Form etc. should be identical. You could
get even more info by type'ing the .JOB file (although in a less well-
presented form :-).

You also should not rely on the possibility to perform direct copy's of
spool files to the port, as they are NOT guaranteed to contain valid
printer data (in fact they generally will contain a PM Metafile if printed
from a PM app with PM_Q_DEFAULT chosen). Furthermore the spooler will intercept
the copy to the LPT device, and queue it up again (but now as a PM_Q_RAW
job).

Hope that this will help...

   Kai Uwe Rommel

   DOS ... is still a real mode only non-reentrant interrupt
   handler, and always will be.                -Russell Williams (MS)

/ Peter Forsberg,  (RIT & IBM Sweden)
Peter Forsberg 		      Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden.
Internet: d88-pfo@nada.kth.se