[comp.os.os2.apps] PMWord, 4CMD, and telecom

bchin@umd5.umd.edu (Bill Chin) (04/18/91)

Well, I got my copy of Microsoft Word for OS/2 1.1 today,
and it seems like a faithful version of Word for Windows.
The upgrade cost was $50, and my copy of Word for Windows
is still a separate valid copy.  (Does anyone want to buy
it?  :-) )   I'm dissappointed with the low number of
graphic import filters... only PCX, CGM, and PM metafile.
However, the inclusion of a WordPerfect 5.1 filter was a
most definitely pleasant surpise - and to test it, I'm gonna
import a 650 page thesis ( ~1.2mb filesize).  Let's see
just how good OS/2's multitasking virtual memory OS is. :-)

I'm a registered user of 4DOS, and in their last newsletter
there was a brief mention of 4CMD, their OS/2 counterpart.
I've been a very happy and addicted user of 4DOS for the
past year, and can't wait to get an OS/2 version.  Anyone
out there seen/have it?  Any comments?

Also, I'm currently using Pmcomm version 1.04.  I haven't
registered yet because of a couple of bugs.  Is there a
new version?  Or an e-mail address for the authors?
Is there a better telecommunications package for under
$100?  Needs to have vt100 and zmodem, a well thought
out interface and can take abuse.

Thanks for any pointers for this convert to OS/2 from
Windows/messy-DOS land.
:-)
--
Bill Chin			internet:bchin@umd5.umd.edu
PC/IP, Computer Science Center	NeXTmail:bchin@is-next.umd.edu

d9mikael@dtek.chalmers.se (Mikael Wahlgren) (04/19/91)

In article <8443@umd5.umd.edu> bchin@umd5.umd.edu (Bill Chin) writes:

>just how good OS/2's multitasking virtual memory OS is. :-)

Don't expect too much of Word for PM, as it is a Willow-application,
and as such doesn't take advantage of the advanced features in OS/2.

>Also, I'm currently using Pmcomm version 1.04.  I haven't
>registered yet because of a couple of bugs.  Is there a
>new version?  Or an e-mail address for the authors?

I have PMComm 1.07 (from December '90) here, but doesn't use it, as it lacks
some (for me) important features.  PmComm has a support BBS at +1 (503)
883-8197.  The 1.07 version also states "Demonstration" instead of "Shareware".

Mikael Wahlgren      d9mikael@dtek.chalmers.se

jjr@sgtech.UUCP (John Radigan) (04/19/91)

From article <8443@umd5.umd.edu>, by bchin@umd5.umd.edu (Bill Chin):
> Well, I got my copy of Microsoft Word for OS/2 1.1 today,
> and it seems like a faithful version of Word for Windows.
> The upgrade cost was $50, and my copy of Word for Windows
> is still a separate valid copy.

You upgraded to the OS/2 version and your Windows version is still
upgrade-able in the future? Got a number at MS for this?
--
John Radigan, Star Gate Technologies, Inc., Solon, Ohio
Email: jjr@sgtech.uucp		Telephone: (216) 349-1860 x666

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (04/20/91)

Also, Word/PM, if it doesn't have style sheets, will never pull me
away from Word 5.5.

--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: netcom.com

bchin@umd5.umd.edu (Bill Chin) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr20.040921.29354@netcom.COM> feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) writes:
>Also, Word/PM, if it doesn't have style sheets, will never pull me
>away from Word 5.5.

I thought all Word GUI products supported style sheets.

BTW, Word-OS/2's WordPerfect import filter is *much*
faster than WfW.  I imported a 1.2mb WP5.1 file in around
5 minutes.  All in all, I'm happy I switched.
--

ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr20.040921.29354@netcom.COM> feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) writes:
>Also, Word/PM, if it doesn't have style sheets, will never pull me
>away from Word 5.5.
Word/PM, like Word for Windows, has document templates, which as far as
I can tell are a superset of style sheets, and considerably *more* useful.
What is missing that you need?
Alan Ballard                   | Internet: ballard@ucs.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG
University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-822-3074
Vancouver B.C. Canada V6R 1Z2  |      Fax: 604-822-5116

joeb@hpnmdla.hp.com (Joe Barnhart) (04/26/91)

In comp.os.os2.apps, ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) writes:

   |Word/PM, like Word for Windows, has document templates, which as far as
   |I can tell are a superset of style sheets, and considerably *more* useful.
   |What is missing that you need?

The only thing you can't really do with doc templates is mimic the
"character" styles of Word 5.x.  Character styles allow you to name
specific combinations of typeface, point size, and other parameters
(bold, etc.).  In WfW and WfPM, you can only specify character styles
as a part of a paragraph style.

Another (somewhat weird) omission is shaded boxes.  In Word 5.x you can
specify a paragraph with shading, as a percent density.  WfW and WfPM
lack this, making it difficult to duplicate some of the "forms" my
company built up using Word 5.x.

-- Joe B.

#include <standard.disclaimer>