[comp.os.os2.apps] 2.2GB + drives for PS/2 80/95

Alykhan_Virani@mindlink.bc.ca (Alykhan Virani) (04/24/91)

I was hoping somebody on the net would know who sells large SCSI hard drives (
2.2 gigabyte or greater) that work on a PS/2 model 80-321 or on the new 95.
The largest drive I have seen is 1.02 gigabytes.
The system runs on OS/2 1.3 and uses the HPFS filing system.   I cannot use
multiple drives becuase I am creating a database that will be about 3 gigabytes
in size.  (a database in OS/2 EE cannot span multiple drives).
I would also need a controller that supports some form of disk mirroring.

Alykhan Virani.

jwohl@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Jeremy Wohl) (04/30/91)

In article <5605@mindlink.bc.ca> Alykhan_Virani@mindlink.bc.ca (Alykhan Virani) writes:
>I was hoping somebody on the net would know who sells large SCSI hard drives (
>2.2 gigabyte or greater) that work on a PS/2 model 80-321 or on the new 95.
>The largest drive I have seen is 1.02 gigabytes.
>The system runs on OS/2 1.3 and uses the HPFS filing system.   I cannot use
>multiple drives becuase I am creating a database that will be about 3 gigabytes
>in size.  (a database in OS/2 EE cannot span multiple drives).
>I would also need a controller that supports some form of disk mirroring.

Hmm.  Problem.  The biggest (5.25" form factor, micros) hard disk at the
moment is 2GB.  You'll have to wait another year or so for 3GB.
Also, IBM will be bringing out a 1.3 (1.2?)GB 3.5" form factor drive in
a couple of months.

--
Jeremy Wohl / wohl@max.physics.sunysb.edu / jwohl@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu

Conrad.Bullock@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Conrad Bullock) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr29.204632.3135@sbcs.sunysb.edu> jwohl@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Jeremy Wohl) writes:
>In article <5605@mindlink.bc.ca> Alykhan_Virani@mindlink.bc.ca (Alykhan Virani) writes:
>>I was hoping somebody on the net would know who sells large SCSI hard drives (
>>2.2 gigabyte or greater) that work on a PS/2 model 80-321 or on the new 95.
>>The largest drive I have seen is 1.02 gigabytes.
>>The system runs on OS/2 1.3 and uses the HPFS filing system.   I cannot use
>>multiple drives becuase I am creating a database that will be about 3 gigabytes
>>in size.  (a database in OS/2 EE cannot span multiple drives).
>>I would also need a controller that supports some form of disk mirroring.
>
>Hmm.  Problem.  The biggest (5.25" form factor, micros) hard disk at the
>moment is 2GB.  You'll have to wait another year or so for 3GB.
>Also, IBM will be bringing out a 1.3 (1.2?)GB 3.5" form factor drive in
>a couple of months.

Core International will sell you SCSI drive arrays for the PS/2 that
support up to 60GB or so. They come in a seperate unit, running up to
3 independant power supplies. It can be configured to do data
striping, different levels of redundancy, mirroring, and so on. They
supply all the utilities to restore a drive from the others if one
fails.

--
Conrad Bullock                     | Domain:   conrad@comp.vuw.ac.nz
Victoria University of Wellington, |     or:   conrad@cavebbs.gen.nz
                                   | BBS:      The Cave BBS +64 4 643429

chapman@acf3.NYU.EDU (Gary Chapman) (05/01/91)

Perhaps you should consider using a Novell 3.11 server which allows
both OS/2 access and  multiple drives to be viewed as one.

 - Gary Chapman, NYU