[comp.os.os2.apps] print to file in PM Word

tholen@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (David Tholen) (05/25/91)

Does anybody know if there is a way to print to a file using PM Word?  So
far I haven't found anything in the documentation about it, nor do the
pull-down menus seem to have information indicating such a capability.  Yet
earlier (character mode) versions of Word allowed printing to a file.

Basically, I'd like to use Word on a stand-alone OS/2 machine, then upload
a PM Word file to a system with a laser printer for final printing.

ballard@ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (05/27/91)

In article <13199@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> tholen@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (David Tholen) writes:
>Does anybody know if there is a way to print to a file using PM Word?  So
>far I haven't found anything in the documentation about it, nor do the
>pull-down menus seem to have information indicating such a capability.  Yet
>earlier (character mode) versions of Word allowed printing to a file.

If you want postscript output it can be done via the postscript driver...
follow through the printer setup menus far enough (print manager/setup/
printers/change/properties/job properties/options) and you'll find a place
to tell the printer driver to print to a file.

None of the other printer drivers seem to have this, and there is no
general "print to file" mechanism in PM (as there was in Windows).  However,
you can achieve the effect via the print manager by holding the print
queue, then looping on the spool directory for the spool file.  In most
cases this file is suitable for copying elsewhere and printing by
other means.

--
Alan Ballard                   | Internet: ballard@ucs.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG

tshea@vax1.mankato.msus.edu (05/29/91)

In article <13199@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, tholen@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (David Tholen) writes:
> Does anybody know if there is a way to print to a file using PM Word?  So
> far I haven't found anything in the documentation about it, nor do the
> pull-down menus seem to have information indicating such a capability.  Yet
> earlier (character mode) versions of Word allowed printing to a file.
>
> Basically, I'd like to use Word on a stand-alone OS/2 machine, then upload
> a PM Word file to a system with a laser printer for final printing.

What printer are you printing to?  If you use the postscript driver, you can
set it up in the driver to print to a file.  There is no way to do it with PM
Word itself (yet).  I am not sure if you can do this with the LaserJet Drivers.

tim shea
LAN Admin
International IS&DP
3M, Inc.