[comp.os.os2.apps] OS/2 Statistics Package

sip1@quads.uchicago.edu (Timothy F. Sipples) (06/13/91)

What statistics packages are available for OS/2 (e.g. SAS, Gauss)?
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good OS/2 statistics package?

T.F.S.
Timothy F. Sipples				sip1@quads.uchicago.edu

SPS2@psuvm.psu.edu (Steven P. Sedlmeyer) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun13.002655.13254@midway.uchicago.edu>, sip1@quads.uchicago.edu
(Timothy F. Sipples) says:

>What statistics packages are available for OS/2 (e.g. SAS, Gauss)?
>Does anyone have any recommendations for a good OS/2 statistics package?

SAS and SPSS are both available for OS/2.  SAS is version 6.0 and is
supposed to be fantastic.

>T.F.S.
>Timothy F. Sipples                              sip1@quads.uchicago.edu

  Steve Sedlmeyer                       | Internet: SPS2@PSUVM.PSU.EDU
  Systems Analyst/Programmer            | Bitnet:   SPS2@PSUVM
  U.S. Government                       | Snailnet: 3762 Sudley Ford Court
                                        |           Fairfax, Va, USA 22033
                                        | Bellnet:  +1-703-874-5156

FHSJFC@BYUVM.BITNET (06/14/91)

There have been a few reviews of SAS for OS/2...one in particular in PC
magazine.  The title was something like "Mainframe on a desktop".  I am
trying to get my employer to switch from our prohibitive mainframe SAS
costs to a good OS/2 machine.  I went to a SAS conference and saw it perform
and it was *fantastic*!!!

Jeff Carlson.
SAS programmer.

baer@uwovax.uwo.ca (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun13.002655.13254@midway.uchicago.edu>, sip1@quads.uchicago.edu (Timothy F. Sipples) writes:
> What statistics packages are available for OS/2 (e.g. SAS, Gauss)?
> Does anyone have any recommendations for a good OS/2 statistics package?
For econometric stuff, Shazam is available in an OS/2 version (for the same
price, I believe, as the DOS version.  Has a variety of procedures, including
OLS, GLS 2SLS, probit/logit models, etc.
  Lisrel is available in an OS/2 version and was, as of last year, the only
way to get around the DOS 640K limitation (*very* critical for this program
since many users want to estimate models with > 25 variables).  Other latent
variable model programs accomplish the same with DOS extenders, but these
generally don't allow users to run foreground processes (pending better
interfaces).   BMPD announced an OS/2 version of EQS, but when I phoned
them they said their announcement was in error, and that no OS/2 version
was being worked on (this info. is about 6 months old, though).

Douglas Baer,
University of Western Ontario, London, Canada N6A 5C2
Internet: BAER@UWO.CA    Bitnet: BAER@UWOVAX