[comp.os.os2.apps] More ATM fonts?

ccmk@lure.latrobe.edu.au (06/22/91)

Does anyone know how to get more fonts for Adobe Type Manager
(as supplied in OS/2 1.3 and presumably soon in 2.0)?  I have
talked to dealers who only know about the Mac or Windows version
of ATM, and I'm concerned that I won't get all the necessary
files.  As I understand it ATM under Windows can make do
with less or different font files.

I am after the "extended" fonts set typically found on PostScript
printers, such as New Century Schoolbook, Palatino, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Dr Mark Kosten,        phone: +61 3 479-1500
Computer Centre,       AARNet (internet): ccmk@lure.latrobe.edu.au
La Trobe University,
Bundoora, 3083
Australia

wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun22.172415.1@lure.latrobe.edu.au> ccmk@lure.latrobe.edu.au writes:
>Does anyone know how to get more fonts for Adobe Type Manager
>(as supplied in OS/2 1.3 and presumably soon in 2.0)?  I have

I collected a bunch of the Adobe fonts from one of the windows archives (FTP)
on the net.    You need to have the files that end in AFM and PFB for the files
to work properly with OS/2 1.3.  My of the archive files only had PFM and PFB
files.  (I think it was that combination of the three files that Windows uses)

Anyway, I've got what I consider a pretty good collection of fonts installed
on my machine, and I didn't pay for most of what I've got.

Wim

goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun22.172415.1@lure.latrobe.edu.au>, ccmk@lure.latrobe.edu.au writes:
> Does anyone know how to get more fonts for Adobe Type Manager
> (as supplied in OS/2 1.3 and presumably soon in 2.0)?  I have
> talked to dealers who only know about the Mac or Windows version
> of ATM, and I'm concerned that I won't get all the necessary
> files.  As I understand it ATM under Windows can make do
> with less or different font files.
>
> I am after the "extended" fonts set typically found on PostScript
> printers, such as New Century Schoolbook, Palatino, etc.
I have downloaded various fonts from the US os/2 BBS's.  The problem
with them is that they aren't (IMHO) as elegant or as well-designed
as the Adobe originals that one says on postscript printers.  If you
want fonts as well-designed as the Adobe fonts, the only thing you can
do is to buy an Adobe font.  (Or go, eg, to other 3rd party font vendors:
I've used ImageClub, in Canada, somewhere).  Otherwise what you get isn't
bad, but it's not the real McCoy.

.. just my 2 cents.

			Adrian

dperks@hobbit.gandalf.ca (Dave Perks) (06/25/91)

In <487.286346dc@mbcl.rutgers.edu> goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu writes:

>In article <1991Jun22.172415.1@lure.latrobe.edu.au>, ccmk@lure.latrobe.edu.au writes:
>> Does anyone know how to get more fonts for Adobe Type Manager

The "Adobe Plus Pack" IBM PC version works for both Windows
and Presentation Manager. It includes all the necessary files,
plus DOS utilities (I haven't tried them in the penalty, er,
DOS box) for making various conversions. To install under
PM you just "add font" and give it the font diskettes.

mgd@mcshh.hanse.de (Michael Gerdau) (06/25/91)

In <1991Jun22.172415.1@lure.latrobe.edu.au> ccmk@lure.latrobe.edu.au writes:

]Does anyone know how to get more fonts for Adobe Type Manager
Have you tried downloading from SIMTEL20 ? There are a lot of PD and
Shareware Fonts for ATM (for DOS).

]I have
]talked to dealers who only know about the Mac or Windows version
]of ATM, and I'm concerned that I won't get all the necessary
]files.  As I understand it ATM under Windows can make do
]with less or different font files.
As far as I know (I will try this in a week or two), Adobe Type 1 Fonts
are the same for OS/2 as they are for Windows.
I definitely know they are the same for Windows and Mac (if you kick
away all the Resourcefork stuff).
So just try it.

Regards, Michael
--
Michael Gerdau, Nibelungenweg 6, W-2000 Hamburg 56, FRG  Voice: +49 40 812 164
Net: mgd@mcshh.hanse.de                   Bang: ...uunet!mcsun!unido!mcshh!mgd