[comp.os.os2.apps] NCSA Telnet with token ring adapter?

barry@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Barry Lay) (06/27/91)

I have an IBM PS/2 with a token ring adapter/A in it which I use to connect to
Unix (amongst other things).  I currently use NCSA Telnet with the Clarkson
drivers under DOS.  I would like to do this under OS/2 but I understand that
the drivers depend on the IBM drivers which are different under OS/2.  Are
there different versions which will solve my problem?

Also, it would be nice if I could get Communications Manager to provide the
terminal services while I am also talking to our IBM mainframes on the same
card.  Any drivers out there that will do the protocol switch?

Barry

Mahoney@emdisle.FIDONET.ORG (Mike Mahoney) (06/28/91)

In an article of <26 Jun 91 20:32:34 GMT>, barry@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Barry Lay) writes:

 BL>I have an IBM PS/2 with a token ring adapter/A in it which I use to
 BL>connect to
 BL>Unix (amongst other things).  I currently use NCSA Telnet with the
 BL>Clarkson drivers under DOS.  I would like to do this under OS/2 but I
 BL>understand that
 BL>the drivers depend on the IBM drivers which are different under
 BL>OS/2. Are there different versions which will solve my problem?

   There is a product from IBM called TCP/IP for OS/2 that provides Telnet services across a Token Ring to other systems on the TR.

 BL>Also, it would be nice if I could get Communications Manager to
 BL>provide the
 BL>terminal services while I am also talking to our IBM mainframes on
 BL>the same
 BL>card.  Any drivers out there that will do the protocol switch?

   You don't need to "switch" protocols. TCP/IP and the Communications manager, which would use an LU 2 session to your host, will share the same physical ring.
--
Mike Mahoney - via FidoNet node 1:300/14
UUCP: uunet...!noao!coyote!emdisle!Mahoney