[alt.toolkits.xview] Problems getting text focus in Olwm

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (10/18/90)

We have programs which run under X11R4, and are supposed to be ICCCM compliant.
One of our users on a remote site is using the Olwm with our programs, which we
don't have.  His problems is that Olwm refuses to give our application the
keyboard input focus.  He can use the mouse in an application, but not the
keyboard.  I can't seem to find anything in the ICCCM v1.0 that would help me.
What special calls have to be made to let the WM let an application get input
focus.  Any help would greatly be appreciated.
+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
|                 |                           | bill@polygen.com            |
+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+

andrew@resam.dk (Leif Andrew Rump) (10/22/90)

In <848@redford.UUCP> bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) writes:
>We have programs which run under X11R4, and are supposed to be ICCCM compliant.
>One of our users on a remote site is using the Olwm with our programs, which we
>don't have.  His problems is that Olwm refuses to give our application the
>keyboard input focus.  He can use the mouse in an application, but not the
>keyboard.  I can't seem to find anything in the ICCCM v1.0 that would help me.
>What special calls have to be made to let the WM let an application get input
>focus.  Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Try adding this line to .Xdefaults:
	OpenWindows.FocusLenience:      True
This give not-completely-ICCCM-compatible keyboard focus - but it's only
the second best solution - the best? Hack the program  :-)  :-)  :-)

Leif Andrew

Leif Andrew Rump, AmbraSoft A/S, Stroedamvej 50, DK-2100 Copenhagen OE, Denmark
UUCP: andrew@ambra.dk, phone: +45 39 27 11 77                /
Currently at Scandinavian Airline Systems                =======/
UUCP: andrew@resam.dk, phone: +45 32 32 22 79                \
SAS, RESAM Project Office, CPHML-V, P.O.BOX 150, DK-2770 Kastrup, Denmark

achan@sparkle.nec.com (Amy Chan) (10/22/90)

In article <848@redford.UUCP> bill@redford.UUCP (Bill Poitras(X258)) writes:
>We have programs which run under X11R4, and are supposed to be ICCCM compliant.
>One of our users on a remote site is using the Olwm with our programs, which we
>don't have.  His problems is that Olwm refuses to give our application the
>keyboard input focus.  He can use the mouse in an application, but not the
>keyboard.  I can't seem to find anything in the ICCCM v1.0 that would help me.
>What special calls have to be made to let the WM let an application get input
>focus.  Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Try to use the Xlib function call XSetWMHints() to set the window manager
hints that include whether the application relies on the window manager to
get keyboard input.

Amy Chan
NEC America, Inc.
achan@tdd.sj.nec.com