[net.ham-radio] RF Grounding and Shielding

lda@clyde.UUCP (Larry Auton) (12/29/84)

My brother wants me to find out about RF Grounding and Shielding.
He saw (or heard about) a way to achieve excellent grounding by
anchoring a long flat sheet of copper (20 ft. by 6 in.) to a concrete
floor, and using it as the ground.  He wants the nitty-gritty details.

He mentioned a Sperry-Rand publication called "Facility Planning" as a
possible reference, but he didn't know where to look for something like
that.  My brother doesn't mind digging for himself, so names of books
or other publications and their sources would be useful, too.

This topic may be too broad, so he threw out a couple of terms that may
(to some of you) narrow the scope so that it can be answered quickly.

	Common Mode Current Loop

	Copper Mass Sheeting

I don't know much about grounding or about ham radio, but I'll forward
whatever you tell me to him.
--
Larry D. Auton
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Whippany Rd., Whippany, NJ 07981

louie@umd5.UUCP (12/30/84)

In article <690@clyde.UUCP> lda@clyde.UUCP (Larry Auton) writes:
>My brother wants me to find out about RF Grounding and Shielding.
>He saw (or heard about) a way to achieve excellent grounding by
>anchoring a long flat sheet of copper (20 ft. by 6 in.) to a concrete
>floor, and using it as the ground.  He wants the nitty-gritty details.
>
>He mentioned a Sperry-Rand publication called "Facility Planning" as a
>possible reference, but he didn't know where to look for something like
>that.  My brother doesn't mind digging for himself, so names of books
>or other publications and their sources would be useful, too.

The publication you mentioned is a facility planning and installation guide
for Sperry's 1100 Series of mainframe computer systems.  You'd probably want
to find one for their 1100/80 or 1100/90 mainframe.  The idea is that all of
the equipment cabinets are grounded to this system of copper sheets, which
give you a low impedence ground between the components.

I don't know if you can get one of these out of Sperry or not;  most of it
deals with the mechanics of installing the ground grid, and not the theory.
I can briefly summarize the installation procedure if you like, having
installed 4 or 5 of these suckers.
--

Louis A. Mamakos  WA3YMH
Computer Science Center - Systems Programming

Internet: louie@umd5.arpa
UUCP: ..!seismo!cvl!umd5!louie