[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Using standard Hard drives with an Atari

n8542614@unicorn.WWU.EDU (Keith Bunting) (07/24/90)

The summary sez it all: what does one have to do to get
a standard ibm hard drive to work on an Atari ST???

Thanks in advance.

Marl Somers                 De Oppresso Liber...or Else!

jensting@skinfaxe.diku.dk (Jens Tingleff) (07/24/90)

n8542614@unicorn.WWU.EDU (Keith Bunting) writes:

>The summary sez it all: what does one have to do to get
>a standard ibm hard drive to work on an Atari ST???

Either
	-1 Build an interface to take a PC controler card; install
	   a lot of weird, non-compatible, software; modify ROMS
	  (for autoboot).
or
	-2 Buy a SCSI interface (or build...) to connect the ST to a
	   SCSI drive. Next buy a SCSI interface that fits onto the
	   PC drive. This can use compatible ST software, autoboot, etc.

If you don't have the PC hard disk yet, you might just buy a SCSI drive
to start with.. . Anyway, the first solution is quite a lot of trouble.. .

	Jens
Jens Tingleff MSc EE, Institute of Computer Science, Copenhagen University
Snail mail: DIKU Universitetsparken 1 DK2100 KBH O
"It never runs around here; it just comes crashing down"
	apologies to  Dire Straits

bluneski@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Bob Luneski) (07/25/90)

In article <1244@unicorn.WWU.EDU> n8542614@unicorn.WWU.EDU (Marl Somers) writes:

>The summary sez it all: what does one have to do to get
>a standard ibm hard drive to work on an Atari ST???

To hook up a standard IBM type ST506 drive to an Atari ST you need the
following:
            1) Case and power supply, fan recommended.
            2) Atari SCSI host adapter. Many companies make these including
               Supra, ICD, and Berkley Microsystems.  Cables are provided for
               connection to ST and drive/controller.
            3) SCSI-ST506 controller such as Adaptec 4000(4070 if RLL) or OMTI
               cables to conect drive to controller may not be provided.
            4) Cables if required.
            5) And of course, your hard drive.

A small amount of basic technical knowledge is required to complete the
installation.  If your not sure what you're doing, it might be wise to
ask someone's assistance before attempting the process.

Good Luck,

 ____                                                                    ____
/\/\/\    Bob Luneski                                                   /\/\/\
\/\/\/    Diamond Back II Support Hotlines:  bluneski@pogo.WV.TEK.COM   \/\/\/
 \/\/     Genie: B.LUNESKI1  CompuServe: 76635,2310                      \/\/
  \/                                                                      \/

iam@stiatl.UUCP (Ian Mercado) (07/25/90)

>            2) Atari SCSI host adapter. Many companies make these including
>               Supra, ICD, and Berkley Microsystems.  Cables are provided for
>               connection to ST and drive/controller.

Could someone post or e-mail the number of Berkley Microsystems?  I recently
read in the Spectre GCR documentation that they had a chip-fix for the two
drive "ghosting" problem experienced with standard Atari hard drives.  I
think this is a problem which has been plaguing me for years now, and I like
to get it resolved.  Thanks!

     Ian Mercado                                             gatech!stiatl!iam
                  "There's no such thing as a free lunch."