[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] GEM window limit

pietrzak@skybridge.SCL.CWRU.Edu (John Pietrzak) (07/23/90)

   I've just begun fooling around with GEM (with the invaluable help of
Tim Oren's series on ST programming).  After writing a short program which
displayed multiple windows on the screen, I was dismayed to find that it
was limited to only 7.  Although I can't see me writing an application
needing more than this, I was wondering whether there was some way to give
the OS a little more space for windowing purposes (I have a mega 4, and I'm
certain that there was more ram to spare after the seven windows were
displayed).

   Thanks

   J P         pietrzak@solarium.scl.cwru.edu

ericg@ucschu.ucsc.edu (Eric Goodman) (07/26/90)

In article <1990Jul23.133653.9285@usenet.ins.cwru.edu>
pietrzak@skybridge.SCL.CWRU.Edu (John Pietrzak) writes:
>  After writing a short program which
> displayed multiple windows on the screen, I was dismayed to find that it
> was limited to only 7.   Although I can't see me writing an application
> needing more than this, I was wondering whether there was some way to
give
> the OS a little more space for windowing purposes (I have a mega 4, and
I'm
> certain that there was more ram to spare after the seven windows were
> displayed).

I believe the same OS limitations that only allow 6 desktop accessories
keeps you from opening more than 7 windows.  The OS can only address 8
different processes at once,so there's "no need" to be able to address
more windows.  With 6 desk accessories, one program and the desktop,
you're out of room.

--- Eric

Eric Goodman, UC Santa Cruz

ericg@ucschu.ucsc.edu                              ericg@ucschu.bitnet