[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Emulator / Other operating system questions

n8742883@unicorn.WWU.EDU (Perry Pederson) (07/26/90)

I've been reading Comp.sys.atari.st for about two months now, and
am getting a little confused with the different types of operating
systems mentioned.  I know there is the Spectre seriers which emulates
a MacIntosh, with the current Spectre being Spectre GCR.  I am also
aware of the various IBM emulators out on the market; I believe that
they emulate the IBM XT well, but do not support AT emulation. I have
heard of various GEM(?)/UNIX multitasking environments, and of some
UNIX environments without multitasking which exist for the Atari series

After questioning a few atari net friends and some local ones, I feel
there is a lack of knowledge on how many different "personalities" an
atari is capable of putting on.  Anyone out there wanna post a listing
of what different/alternative operating systems exist for the atari? I
know that there are at least ten curious minds who would like to know...

If I've stated anything above which is incorrect, please fix it!

Thanx a bundle,
		Perry Pederson    n8742883@unicorn.WWU.EDU

In article <1253@unicorn.WWU.EDU> n8742883@unicorn.WWU.EDU (Perry Pederson) writes:
>I've been reading Comp.sys.atari.st for about two months now, and
>am getting a little confused with the different types of operating
>systems mentioned.  I know there is the Spectre seriers which emulates

I guess the ST hardware is too versatile for its own good, eh? Just
like EMACS... ["Extensability and Modifiability Aggravate Confirmed
Simpletons"  }-)  ]

>a MacIntosh, with the current Spectre being Spectre GCR.  I am also
>aware of the various IBM emulators out on the market; I believe that
>they emulate the IBM XT well, but do not support AT emulation. I have
>heard of various GEM(?)/UNIX multitasking environments, and of some
>UNIX environments without multitasking which exist for the Atari series

Ok, lessee what we can come up with...

In the beginning, there was... (oh, never mind.)

Magic Sac, Magic Sac+ - original & upgraded original Mac emulator, using
64K ROMs plugged into Atari cartridge port. By Dave Small.

Spectre, Spectre GCR - Mac emulator capable of using 128K Mac ROMs. GCR
can read/write native mode Mac disks, quickly. Non-GCR, MagicSac needed
the Translator One, which was very slow. (MIDI speed.)

Out in the grey->black area, we had:

Aladdin - disk based. Used 64K Mac ROM on disk? Oh well, I never saw it
working...

That pretty much covers it for Mac emulation. (I suppose the Discovery
cart from Happy Computers could go in there too, but again, grey-black.)

For PCs, first there was PC-Ditto 1, all software. Emulated an 8086 based
IBM XT, at around 1/3rd XT speed. Cool, highly compatible, but slow.

Next we have PC-Speed, imported to US by Michtron, I forgot who makes it.

Next comes PC-Ditto II. Both of these require soldering an adapter board
into your ST, like, onto the CPU or somesuch. Both index at about 4 times
faster than an IBM XT. Again, only 8086 based.

Talon Technologies brings in Supercharger, an XT-on-a-card that plugs into
the ST DMA port. Cool, fast. I've never used any of these PC emulators.

Coming soon, rumored, etc. AT-ONCE and AT-Speed, for AT emulation. Hardware,
of course.

In other, more obscure corners... CP/M-80, Apple II, Atari 8bit emulation,
software based.

I think that covers the really alien emulation schemes...

What next... TOS enhancers. I'd guess MX2 and Micro-RTX are the only ones
here. I've used 'em both. MX2 is free, Micro-RTX is shareware. I think
Micro-RTX is far better than MX2. Both of them aim at giving you multiuser
and multitasking capabilities but remaining TOS compatible. Micro-RTX is
more comprehensive, and a lot more stable. MX2 comes with complete kernel
source in Modula-2. (I don't know modula 2, so this doesn't help me. sigh...)
Micro-RTX is very well supported by the author, Dave Beckemeyer.

A detailed comparison probably doesn't belong in this article...

Hm. MIDI-tasking, available, but only for use by MIDI software makers. Oh
well.

TOS replacements? Hm. Minix, IDRIS, OS9-68000, that's all I can remember
at the moment.

Minix - $100 or so, clone of version 7 unix. Small, kind of a limited system.
Meant as an educational tool, not as a production, working environment.
Who knows what the next version will be capable of, tho, as it's aiming for
POSIX compliance.

IDRIS - don't know much about it. Unix clone, comes with X windowing system.

OS9 - don't know much about it. Source code compatible with Unix. I hear a
lot of wonderful things about it, but haven't sat down to take a look yet.
It ain't Unix, but it's better. (? That approach didn't work for Apollo...)

Oh, non-multitasking Unix equivalents. Gulam, Mark Williams microshell,
Beckemeyer's Micro-C shell, probably several others.

Gulam is free, and probably the best command line environment you'll find,
anywhere. All it needs now is integration with Micro-RTX and it'll be
perfect.  }-)

Mark Williams msh is kind of a hybrid of a Bourne and C shell. It comes with
their C compiler system. It was OK, but I gave it up when I discovered
Gulam. It's missing a lot of the C-shell features that I depend on. Gulam is
a bit more thorough in its C shell features, though it's got some problems
too. (Can't quote metacharacters. Very painful at times...)

Beckemeyer's Micro-C shell is a pretty thorough C shell implementation, with
some nice expansions (e.g., input line editor). It's about halfway between
msh and Gulam in terms of user interface power. (msh is purely a primitive
command line system, Gulam is emacs-based full-screen.) I don't know how
much it costs by itself, I bought the multitasking RTX-based version.

Sorry for the rambling, but I think that touches most of the points asked
about.
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip

ngse18@castle.ed.ac.uk (J R Evans) (07/28/90)

In article <1990Jul27.032743.743@math.lsa.umich.edu> hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:

>Aladdin - disk based. Used 64K Mac ROM on disk? Oh well, I never saw it
>working...

Howard - I had a real Aladin on loan once - the commercial product
was a ROM-based system.  I have seen disk-based systems (presumably
pirates) which appear to stem from the same source; did not one of the
authors posted some material on this subject a few months back?

Russ