[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Wanted: SND information!

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) (07/17/90)

I am new to the world of sound and music on the Atari ST. Dave Bagget's
series of sound programs finally piqued my interest in exploring this
arena.  I've managed to lay hands on a number of SND files and have noticed
some curious results. Some SND files play just fine using Dave Baggets
PLAY.PRG and some don't. Of the ones that don't, some will play OK on
PLAYEM.PRG which I got from GEnie, but there's still a few that won't
play. The programs that don't play always sound horrifically garbled and
sometimes even cause the floppy disk drive LED to flicker!

I'm wondering if anyone can explain the differences I've seen, er, heard,
and perhaps comment on the availability of hardware to digitise sound
on the ST.

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    % Andy Cassino                                                  %
    % uucp: hplabs!hplsla!andyc         internet: andyc@lsid.hp.com %
    % Hewlett-Packard              Lake Stevens Instrument Division %
    % 8600 Soper Hill Road MS60              Everett, WA 98205-1298 %
    % Land-line: (206) 335-2211                                     %
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

cape@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Robert Cape) (07/19/90)

In article <13510001@hplsla.HP.COM> andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino writes:
>I am new to the world of sound and music on the Atari ST. Dave Bagget's
>series of sound programs finally piqued my interest in exploring this
>arena.  I've managed to lay hands on a number of SND files and have noticed
>some curious results. Some SND files play just fine using Dave Baggets
>PLAY.PRG and some don't. Of the ones that don't, some will play OK on
>PLAYEM.PRG which I got from GEnie, but there's still a few that won't
>play. The programs that don't play always sound horrifically garbled and
>sometimes even cause the floppy disk drive LED to flicker!
>
>I'm wondering if anyone can explain the differences I've seen, er, heard,
>and perhaps comment on the availability of hardware to digitise sound
>on the ST.

I too have enjoyed Dave Bagget's  PLAY.PRG.  I know there are a tremendous
number of sound files available for the MAC, a number of sound files are
becoming available for the Sun SPARC, etc.

My question(s):

- What is the file format of the .SND files that you use Dave?
- What other formats are used on the Atari ST?
- What format(s) are used by the MAC?
- Has anyone written a utility to take a MAC sound file and convert it to .SND?
  (Setting aside for now the problems of file transfer.)

Something like the "ST Picture Formats" description would be nice to compile.

Bob Cape

r.cape@stpaul.ncr.com

dmb@wam.umd.edu (David M. Baggett) (07/19/90)

Bob Cape <cape@StPaul.NCR.COM> and Andy Cassino <andyc@hplsla.HP.COM> had
questions about .SND files:

>                      Some SND files play just fine using Dave Baggets
>PLAY.PRG and some don't. Of the ones that don't, some will play OK on
>PLAYEM.PRG which I got from GEnie, but there's still a few that won't
>play. The programs that don't play always sound horrifically garbled and
>sometimes even cause the floppy disk drive LED to flicker!

There are a bunch of ways to encode the sample data.  I've encountered
three methods so far:

1) Each sample is stored as an absolute value (amplitude).  In hardware
   terms, this is a measure of the voltage from, e.g., 0 to 5 volts.

2) Each sample is a signed value, -128 to +127.  The hardware analogy here
   is voltage ranging from -2.5 to +2.5 (or something like that).

3) Each sample is uLAW encoded.  uLAW (read "mu-law") compresses the
   dynamic range of the sample to achieve (in theory) better sound
   quality on low-resolution D/A devices.

Method 1 is found in the Mac world, and is also the method used by
ST-Replay.  It's the format expected by all my digitized sound
software as well.  (Play, Beep, Digital Keyclick, etc.)

Method 2 is used by the Hippo/Navarone digitizers.

Method 3 is used on SparcStations.

To "convert" Mac samples to what I call "ST format" (i.e., the format
used by Play), just take the data fork and use it directly.  You have to
figure out the sample rate because it's not stored in the file.  (At least
not that I know of.)  The bytes should be exactly the same for both
"formats", unless there are two different Mac sample formats out there.

Many of the samples I distribute with Play, Beep, etc. are in fact Mac
samples taken from the info-mac archive at sumex-aim.stanford.edu.  I
just downloaded them, un-BinHexed and unStuffIted them, and put them on
my ST.  No "conversion" was necessary.

I've cooked up programs to convert from uLaw and Hippo/Navarone format
to ST format.  The uLAW conversion process is bogus and only works some
of the time.  (I was too lazy to do it right.  :-)  The Hippo conversions
always come out fine because only an AND operation on each sample is
involved.  If there's enough interest, I'll post the conversion
programs to comp.binaries.atari.st.  (email if you're interested.)

If you play a sound sampled with method 2 using play.prg it will sound
very garbled and noisy but still barely intelligible in most cases.

If you play a uLAW encoded sample with play.prg it will generally sound
like noise.

The floppy drive light syndrome exists in old versions of Play, Beep,
and Digital Keyclick, but has been fixed in the more recent versions.
The problem here is that TOS constantly checks to see if you've
switched disks in the floppy drives.  To do this, it accesses the same
hardware registers that are used to control the sound chip every
vertical blank interrupt.

The solution is to prevent the vblank routine from running while
doing the critical accesses to the sound chip registers.  (Otherwise,
the vblank routine will eventually interrupt the sound playing
process at exactly the time it's messing with the sound chip registers,
and the drive light will get "stuck" on.)

If you turn the lights out at night while your ST is on, you'll see
the drive light flickering faintly.  Same thing's going on here.

>I'm wondering if anyone can explain the differences I've seen, er, heard,
>and perhaps comment on the availability of hardware to digitise sound
>on the ST.

Well, I use a Navarone digitizer I got a while back for 60 bucks, and it
works pretty well.  You have to convert all the samples before you use
them with play.prg, but this only takes a few seconds.

ST Replay is more expensive, but the hardware is better quality I'm told.

>I too have enjoyed Dave Bagget's  PLAY.PRG.

<grin>

If you like Play, you should try the other sample playing utilities too.
If anyone has missed Digital Keyclick (posted to comp.binaries.atari.st),
get a copy.  What other computer lets you have a sea lion bark as your
return key sound and a sonar ping when you hit the tab key?  You can
map any key to any sound you want.  [End of advertisement]

Also:  There is a large sound archive at atari.archive (once called
terminator, [address 35.1.33.8]).  The players are located in
atari/sound/players and the sounds are in atari/sound/sounds.  There's
also an index (called atari/sound/sounds/index) that  describes each
of the sounds (or at least the ones I uploaded).

And for those of you who can't live with only 25 possible startup sounds,
the latest version of Play allows you to specify up to 250 sounds in
the play.inf file.  I'll post it to comp.binaries.atari.st RSN.  ('Til
then, if you want a copy, email me.)

>Something like the "ST Picture Formats" description would be nice to compile.

% cc -O ST-Sound-Formats.c
% a.out
Segmentation Fault

Oh well!  Seriously, though, this is a good idea.  The thought of
explaining uLAW makes my skin crawl, though!  I'll see what I can do.

Dave Baggett
dmb%wam.umd.edu@uunet.uu.net

hkim@cornea.mitre.org (Howard Kim) (08/03/90)

In article <139@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM> cape@StPaul.NCR.COM (Robert M. Cape) writes:
>- What other formats are used on the Atari ST?
>- Has anyone written a utility to take a MAC sound file and convert it to .SND?
>  (Setting aside for now the problems of file transfer.)

The SPL sound format for the Atari is another popular way of storing digitized
sound.  It's similar to SND except SND appends a speed byte to play the
sound at the proper speed.

There is a PD program called Babel that converts Mac, Amiga, and other ST
formats into SND or SPL.

|       *=+--**           |  "Nuke 'em all." - Anonymous                    |
|         <=>             |  Cybermage Sempiternus Inquisitus               |
|       _-*=+-_           |  hkim@retina.mitre.org                          |

baffoni@alcor.usc.edu (Juxtaposer) (08/04/90)

	Has anyone made a shell for playing digitised sounds, perhaps one that
uses the sound-players that Dave Bagget posted on Terminator.  When I say shell
I mean something along the lines of Arcshell, only for sounds.
	If noone has done it yet, are there any takers?

-Mike