[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Rolling your own HD

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (08/02/90)

Well folks, I am going to take the plunge and buy a HD.  One question comes
to mind about power.  Will the ICD host adaptor need a line from the power
supply?  Will it be the same type that goes into the drive mech?  Any hints
or suggestions will be welcome, I will post a summery.  I plan to use a power
supply for a PC case (200w), and it has 3 of the standard 4 (or maybe 5) pin
trapezoidal power plugs coming out of it.  Also, what software is best/required
to boot my system from my HD, and to get around the 16mb partition size limit?

--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
              Mickey Boyd            |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.

D.C.Halliday@newcastle.ac.uk (D.C. Halliday) (08/04/90)

In article <9008020410.AA09807@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu> boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) writes:
>Well folks, I am going to take the plunge and buy a HD.  One question comes
>to mind about power.  Will the ICD host adaptor need a line from the power
>supply?  Will it be the same type that goes into the drive mech?  Any hints
>or suggestions will be welcome, I will post a summery.  I plan to use a power
>supply for a PC case (200w), and it has 3 of the standard 4 (or maybe 5) pin
>trapezoidal power plugs coming out of it.  Also, what software is best/required
>to boot my system from my HD, and to get around the 16mb partition size limit?

The  ICD  Advantage addapter comes with a power lead that plugs into a
power supply at one end and splits to provide power for one drive  and
the  host board. The standard PC power suply (200w) should be fine for
about 5 Drives. The ICD software also comes with the host adapter  and
will overcome the 16MB limit. Note: if you have TOS 1.4 + the limit is
actualy 32MB.

Dave H.
(D.C.Halliday@newcastle.ac.uk)

sgerakin@hawk.ulowell.edu (Steve G.) (08/05/90)

In article <9008020410.AA09807@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu> boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) writes:
>Well folks, I am going to take the plunge and buy a HD.  One question comes
>to mind about power.  Will the ICD host adaptor need a line from the power
>supply?  Will it be the same type that goes into the drive mech?  Any hints

The power supply ICD recommends needs "45 watts with 3 amps of +5 vdc and 2
amps of +12 vdc".  Any IBM power supply should do, and yes you'll need to
have a +5 and a ground going to the host adaptor.

>or suggestions will be welcome, I will post a summery.  I plan to use a power
>supply for a PC case (200w), and it has 3 of the standard 4 (or maybe 5) pin
>trapezoidal power plugs coming out of it.  Also, what software is best/required
>to boot my system from my HD, and to get around the 16mb partition size limit?

Well when you purchase the Host Adaptor, you should receive ICD's hard drive
utilities disk.  I've never run into any problems with their handler.  The
formatting utilities are great--they handle just about any controller/hard
drive configuration.

Well, to sum it up for you, here's the recipe you'll need to build an ICD kit:

1 power supply (as mentioned above)
1 host adaptor, boot disk, and installation guide from ICD
1 SCSI disk controller, an Adaptec or an Omti controller will do fine
1 Hard Drive of just about any flavor, ICD can configure to most; and if you
  can't figure out the configuration for it, call ICD and they'll help you out.
1 20 pin ribbon cable
1 34 pin ribbon cable
1 50 pin ribbon cable  (all with the connectors)
1 DMA cable to run between the ST and the host adaptor
optionally you can pick up a case ICD also sells that's pretty slick.

I should also mention too that the host adaptor also has a battery backed-up
clock on it.  With the software I mentioned earlier your system has a nice
clock.  (I used to *hate* setting the date all the time by hand.)

Welp, good luck!

-Steve Gerakines

| Usenet: sgerakin@hawk.ulowell.edu       | SteveNet: GENESIS:Steve2         |
| UUCP:   ...!harvard!swan!sgerakin@hawk  | "My kingdom for a smoke!!!"      |