[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Dead St.....

John.Bunch@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) (08/25/90)

Hello....

I seem tro have a problem with my st.   I was using it last night
and all of a sudden I could no longer access the floppy drives...
So I shut it off and tried rebooting.   I still could not access the
drives.  The weird part is when it boots up, it recognizes the drives being
there I just cant do anything with them?  It always boots in low res
and I tried creating a folder on the disk and was not able to.   Also
when I opend a window with a directory it showed me nothing....  I am
fairley sure it is not a problem of the drive, because I have two and trie
hooking them both up alone and got nowhere.   Anybody got any clues?

I think it may be the DMA chip?

John

John.Bunch@samba.acs.unc.edu

stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) (08/26/90)

In article <920@beguine.UUCP> John.Bunch@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) writes:
>Hello....
>
>I seem tro have a problem with my st.   I was using it last night
>and all of a sudden I could no longer access the floppy drives...
>So I shut it off and tried rebooting.   I still could not access the
>drives.  The weird part is when it boots up, it recognizes the drives being
>there I just cant do anything with them?  It always boots in low res
>and I tried creating a folder on the disk and was not able to.   Also
>when I opend a window with a directory it showed me nothing....  I am
>fairley sure it is not a problem of the drive, because I have two and trie
>hooking them both up alone and got nowhere.   Anybody got any clues?
>
>I think it may be the DMA chip?
>
>John
>
>John.Bunch@samba.acs.unc.edu

heh, heh, heh.  I haven't seen this one in awhile.  If you're getting windows
that say 0 bytes used in 0 items, you probably need the "drop test" fix.

Early STs had trouble with chips coming unseated.  To fix the problem you
describe, you can generally either open up the ST and reseat the chips (DMA
chip only?) or you can pick it up about an inch or two off the table and
drop it.  That fixes my sister's ST every time.

	--Steve

P.S. You might also try a different cable...  I've had trouble with one before.

From: stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st.tech
Subject: duh