[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Atari 1027 printer on an ST?

John.Bunch@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) (08/21/90)

Hello all,

I just recently was given an atari 1027 printer, and would like to
know if it is possible to hook the beast to my ST?  I realize that
it may require building some sort of adapter so the st can talk to
the SIO port on the printer.  Has anyone ever attempted such a thing?
Is it possible to do?   And If you not sure, do you know where I
may be able to get the manual for the printer?  It was given to me
without a manual and without a power supply...

John Bunch

John.Bunch@samba.acs.unc.edu

stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) (08/21/90)

Newsgroups: poster
Subject: Re: Atari 1027 printer on an ST?

In article <877@beguine.UUCP> John.Bunch@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) writes:
>Hello all,
>
>I just recently was given an atari 1027 printer, and would like to
>know if it is possible to hook the beast to my ST?  I realize that
>it may require building some sort of adapter so the st can talk to
>the SIO port on the printer.  Has anyone ever attempted such a thing?
>Is it possible to do?
[stuff deleted]

>John Bunch
>
>John.Bunch@samba.acs.unc.edu

If you can do this, I'd like to know how.  There are a lot of cheap 1020
printer/plotters out there just waiting to be hooked up to STs.  I have
some possible uses for the color output, and I'm sure others do too.

My Atari BASIC Biorhythm program from the June 1986 ANTIC would be nice
with plotted output.  :-)  (Any of you remember that?)

Perhaps a driver for the Xlator cable would work?

	--Steve

--
Steve Whitney   "It's never _really_ the last minute"       (())_-_(())
UCLA Comp. Sci. Grad. Student                                | (* *) |

In article <38218@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) writes:
%>I just recently was given an atari 1027 printer, and would like to
%>know if it is possible to hook the beast to my ST?  I realize that
%>it may require building some sort of adapter so the st can talk to
%>the SIO port on the printer.  Has anyone ever attempted such a thing?
%>Is it possible to do?

%If you can do this, I'd like to know how.  There are a lot of cheap 1020
%printer/plotters out there just waiting to be hooked up to STs.  I have
%some possible uses for the color output, and I'm sure others do too.

%My Atari BASIC Biorhythm program from the June 1986 ANTIC would be nice
%with plotted output.  :-)  (Any of you remember that?)
%
%Perhaps a driver for the Xlator cable would work?

I remember articles for hooking up regular RS232 devices to the SIO bus,
so it should be possible to drive an SIO device off an RS232 port as well.
I even have an old 1020 I could play with (if I replaced the %$#%$%^$
broken plastic gears first!) but don't remember enough about SIO drivers.

Yeah, at 100dpi the 1020 wouldn't be such a bad output device. Mebbe I'll
try to resurrect it. The SIO bus runs at 19200bps, right?
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip

darekm@microsoft.UUCP (Darek MIHOCKA) (08/24/90)

In article <38218@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) writes:
>Newsgroups: poster
>>know if it is possible to hook the beast to my ST?  I realize that
>>it may require building some sort of adapter so the st can talk to
>>the SIO port on the printer.  Has anyone ever attempted such a thing?
>>Is it possible to do?
>[stuff deleted]
>
>If you can do this, I'd like to know how.  There are a lot of cheap 1020
>printer/plotters out there just waiting to be hooked up to STs.  I have
>some possible uses for the color output, and I'm sure others do too.
>
>My Atari BASIC Biorhythm program from the June 1986 ANTIC would be nice
>with plotted output.  :-)  (Any of you remember that?)
>
>Perhaps a driver for the Xlator cable would work?

You mean the Xformer Cable? Yes, it supports the 1020 plotter. I have
one myself and have used it to print out stuff on the ST. All you have
to do is run the Xformer 130XE emulator and run your Biorhythm program
directly on the ST with theplotter hooked up, and you should get the
printout you want.

- Darek

  Darek Mihocka         (206)-885-5893     All views expressed are my own.
  Branch Always Software, 14150 NE 20th St. Suite 302, Bellevue, WA  98007

stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) (08/26/90)

In article <56862@microsoft.UUCP> darekm@microsoft.UUCP (Darek MIHOCKA) writes:
`In article <38218@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) writes:

`>My Atari BASIC Biorhythm program from the June 1986 ANTIC would be nice
     ~~~~~ <- meant ST BASIC
`>with plotted output.  :-)  (Any of you remember that?)
`>
`>Perhaps a driver for the Xlator cable would work?
                           ~~~~~~ <- second obvious mental lapse
`
`
`You mean the Xformer Cable? Yes, it supports the 1020 plotter. I have
`one myself and have used it to print out stuff on the ST. All you have
`to do is run the Xformer 130XE emulator and run your Biorhythm program
`directly on the ST with theplotter hooked up, and you should get the
`printout you want.
`
`- Darek
`
Sorry, Derek!  That's exactly what I meant, but I also meant ST BASIC...  not
Atari BASIC.  I'd like to write native ST stuff for the 1020.  What the heck?
I have to waste my time on something...

`----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In article <38356@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) writes:
>Sorry, Derek!  That's exactly what I meant, but I also meant ST BASIC...  not
        ^^^^^

Heck!  First I call his product the wrong name.  Now I'm calling _him_ the
wrong name.  Sorry, _Darek_.

(Must be getting late)

--

ripley@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Hans-Ch. Eckert) (08/27/90)

In article <877@beguine.UUCP> John.Bunch@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) writes:

   I just recently was given an atari 1027 printer, and would like to
   know if it is possible to hook the beast to my ST?  I realize that
I have seen a package for this at a local electronics store.
I remember its price being around DM 40,- .
It consists of an interface-board and a disk (containing driver
software, I guess ;-)

Greetings,
				RIPLEY

--
Greetings from RIPLEY | UUCP: ripley@tubopal.UUCP (ripley@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de)
Hans-Christian Eckert |         ...!unido!tub!opal!ripley (Europe)