[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Upgrading a Mega 2 to 4 megs.

iam@stiatl.UUCP (Ian Mercado) (08/15/90)

A friend of mine is trying to upgrade his Mega 2 to four megs, but is having
problems.  Here's the deal.  He plugs in the capacitors and sockets (I think
this was probably a solder job).  All the memory tests say that there's 4 meg
available, but if he fills up a 3000K ramdisk, the programs past the first
2000K won't run.  He's pretty sure that the problem is not with his MMU chip.

Has anybody had any similar problems or an idea of how to resolve this one?
If so, please e-mail a response.  He would be eternally grateful.

nut@wet.UUCP (adam tilghman) (08/17/90)

In article <10408@stiatl.UUCP> iam@stiatl.UUCP (Ian Mercado) writes:
>A friend of mine is trying to upgrade his Mega 2 to four megs, but is having
>problems.  Here's the deal.  He plugs in the capacitors and sockets (I think
>this was probably a solder job).  All the memory tests say that there's 4 meg
>available, but if he fills up a 3000K ramdisk, the programs past the first
>2000K won't run.  He's pretty sure that the problem is not with his MMU chip.
>
>Has anybody had any similar problems or an idea of how to resolve this one?
>If so, please e-mail a response.  He would be eternally grateful.

    This might be of interest to other net.users, so I am posting this
to the group...

    The RamDisk that your frined is using is probably an ancient one -
90% of the RamDisks from the pre-Mega days break if you try to use
them with more than 2.5Mb of memory.  Try C. Johnson's HRAMDISK,
it's a reset-proof ramdisk of the most excellent variety =:)

--
== Adam G. Tilghman - Trendy Quote: "Beware of Greeks bearing Trojans!" ==
============ Bang-Path UUCP: {uunet | ucbvax}!unisoft!wet!nut ============

nazareth@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Dieter Nazareth) (08/28/90)

In article <1457@wet.UUCP> nut@wet.UUCP (adam tilghman) writes:

>The RamDisk that your frined is using is probably an ancient one -
>90% of the RamDisks from the pre-Mega days break if you try to use
>them with more than 2.5Mb of memory.  Try C. Johnson's HRAMDISKC,
>it's a reset-proof ramdisk of the most excellent variety =:)

Can anyone tell me where I can get C. Johnson's HRAMDISK?
Is it public domain or shareware or something else like this?

Thanks
        Dieter