[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Keyboard/mouse problems on the STE

dougie@cernvax.UUCP (douglas mclaggan) (08/31/90)

In article <2222@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk> tmp@doc.ic.ac.uk (Trevor Peacock) writes:
>Hi,
>    I don't want to start the thread on the 'phantom typist' going at full
>pelt again, but I seem to have a problem of this kind on my ST (although I'm
>not sure if it is the same as the problem described by most posters).
>
>What happens is that after a bit of high mouse activity (usually on the desktop)
>the currently open window continually updates - this is as if the ESC key is
>being continually pressed.
>
>The problem occurs without any DAs or auto folder programs.
>Strangely, it only started after I installed one of those keyboard clock
>battery backup boards, but has stayed since I removed it. (the keyboard
>processor was changed after this)
>
>My ST is an STFM with 1985 ROMs. Any suggestions? (other than 'buy an STe' :)
>please email me if possible.

The last thing you want to do to get rid of this problem is buy an STe!

My STe does this 'phantom typing' thing a lot.  It sometimes appears as if
the escape key is being help down and other times it's the left mouse button.
I've noticed that this often happens after moving the vertical slider bar of
a window on the desktop.  I've never tried to figure out exactly what causes
this and I can never make it happen (with frantic mouse movement etc.) on
demand.

I don't know if it's caused entirely by the STe or by software that I use
(eg. mouse accelerator etc.) but it DOES HAPPEN on the STe.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what is causing this?

(BTW, if this type of thing doesn't bother you too much, then otherwise
the STe is a pretty good machine to buy, especially if you can get a 2
Meg machine for 450 GBP!)
| Dougie McLaggan. ->->-> 'dougie@cernvax.cern.ch', or 'dougie@cs.hw.ac.uk' |

ekrimen@csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (08/31/90)

- My STe does this 'phantom typing' thing a lot.  It sometimes
- appears as if the escape key is being help down and other times it's
- the left mouse button.  I've noticed that this often happens after
- moving the vertical slider bar of a window on the desktop.  I've
- never tried to figure out exactly what causes this and I can never
- make it happen (with frantic mouse movement etc.) on demand.

I've seen this, or a similar problem, happen many times on my
machine.  Sometimes, my keyboard locks up.  Sometimes it locks up
with the keyclick ringing continously.  Therefore, I just warm-boot.
This is a temporary STe I have, that doesn't work with hard drives.
The one I had before this, worked with hard drives, but the keyboard
stopped working after a week.  I don't remember ever having this
problem though with the first one.  I should be getting my new STe
any day now (should have been a couple of days ago!  UPS!!!) and if
it persists, I'll mention it.

- I don't know if it's caused entirely by the STe or by software that
- I use (eg. mouse accelerator etc.) but it DOES HAPPEN on the STe.

I had thought it was STalker doing it, but I don't know.  Desk
accessories that multitask sometimes start the 'Esc key sequence'
when you move the mouse while the da's are operating, like with
Mystic and STalker.  I'm sure someone here knows what causes this,
however.

- Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what is causing this?
-
- (BTW, if this type of thing doesn't bother you too much, then
- otherwise the STe is a pretty good machine to buy, especially if you
- can get a 2 Meg machine for 450 GBP!)

I wholeheartedly agree!

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (09/03/90)

ekrimen@csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:

|I had thought it was STalker doing it, but I don't know.  Desk
|accessories that multitask sometimes start the 'Esc key sequence'
|when you move the mouse while the da's are operating, like with
|Mystic and STalker.

What you are probably seeing in those cases are the IKBD interrupt
handler missing some interrupts because of time spent servicing RS232
interrupts.  Or maybe not.

--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine