[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Upgrading Megafile 30

kentd@FtCollins.NCR.com (Kent.Dalton) (09/05/90)

 I think someone recently posted a question along these lines but I
haven't noticed any replies, so I'll post my question:

I have a Megafile 30 HD and was wondering if it's possible to just swap
in a new drive for the existing mech.? I've got a feeling it should be
pretty simple... the software side of things would probably provide the
most trouble.

Looking inside the case reveals an ST238R drive mech. ( RLL , 30M, 65ms)
It's connected to the adapter via two ribbon cables. I was thinking
of replacing it with an ST277R (RLL, 65M, 28ms)....

If anyone has done this or has any suggestions, ideas, hints, please let
me know.

Also, as a side note, I couldn't discern a seperate controller...
I thought the flow was supposed to go:

DMA -> SCSI Adapter -> SCSI to RLL controller

Is this the case the Megafile 30?

Any info would be much appreciated...

/* Kent Dalton                     * EMail: Kent.Dalton@FtCollins.NCR.COM */
/* NCR Microelectronics            *   CIS: 72320,3306                    */
/* Fort Collins, Colorado          * "This mind intentionally left blank" */
/* (303)223-5100 X-319             *    All standard disclaimers apply    */

csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod ) (09/06/90)

kentd@FtCollins.NCR.com (Kent.Dalton) writes:

>I have a Megafile 30 HD and was wondering if it's possible to just swap
>in a new drive for the existing mech.? I've got a feeling it should be
>pretty simple... the software side of things would probably provide the
>most trouble.
Just plug the new drive in instead of the old and alter your WINCAP file
appropiately. Works fine.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany		(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de

wayneh@ux5.lbl.gov (Wayne Hurlbert) (09/12/90)

If this isn't too late ...

I upgraded my Megafile 20 from a ST225 to a ST251.  This is MFM, but I
assume the Megafile 30 is just an RLL version.  It worked fine.

The board contains the adapter and the controller (Adaptec 4000 in my
case).

Wayne