[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Moniterm monitors

7103_2622@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eric Smith) (09/15/90)

I am told that one cannot write directly on the screen memory of
a Moniterm (or similar large screen monitor). Do all of the line A
calls work OK with them? In particular, are bitblts to and from
screen memory feasible? I have a port of mgr (the Bellcore window
manager) that I'm finishing up, and I'd like to make sure that it
works on large screen monitors. Unfortunately, I don't have one :-(.
So any information would be appreciated...
--
Eric R. Smith                     email:
Dept. of Mathematics            ersmith@uwovax.uwo.ca

darekm@microsoft.UUCP (Darek MIHOCKA) (09/18/90)

In article <6978.26f10236@uwovax.uwo.ca> 7103_2622@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eric Smith) writes:
>I am told that one cannot write directly on the screen memory of
>a Moniterm (or similar large screen monitor). Do all of the line A
>calls work OK with them? In particular, are bitblts to and from
>screen memory feasible? I have a port of mgr (the Bellcore window
>manager) that I'm finishing up, and I'd like to make sure that it
>works on large screen monitors. Unfortunately, I don't have one :-(.
>So any information would be appreciated...

Eric, Moniterm memory, or the memory of any other large screen Monitor is
just RAM that you read and write just like any RAM. For example, Quick ST
doesn't care where the screen is. On a Moniterm monitor, it starts at $c00000
while on a normal,say, 4096STE, it starts at $3f8000. A write to one or the
other will produce the same results. The only thing I can't tell you for
certain is whether you can access it in user mode. I always pop into supervisor
mode just in case.

The next best thing to a Moniterm monitor is a Moniterm monitor emulator, such
as MonSTEr (available with Quick ST 2.2). It allows your mono monitor to
emulate a 1280x960 monitor, and your color monitor to emalate 1280x480. I have
a new version about to be released that also emulates the ISAC monitor (
16 colors, 1024x768). If you run MonSTEr on an STE, the emulation is in real
time, otherwise it is at about 80% of full speed.

- Darek

  Darek Mihocka           (206)-885-5893   All views expressed are my own.
  Branch Always Software, 14150 NE 20th St. Suite 302, Bellevue, WA  98007