[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] TOS 1.4 vs old

pesch@pa.reuter.COM (Roland Pesch) (09/05/90)

Over the Labor Day week-end, I finally upgraded my trusty old 1040ST to
TOS 1.4 (using the six-chip set).  It's very nice---but only if I boot off
a floppy and forget my hard disk!

My HD is built from an ICD host adapter kit, and has been happily booting off
icdboot.sys (nee .prg) with the old TOS.  ICD, over the phone, claim the
problem must be the program that talks to the clock; I am skeptical, because
the first thing I did when I noticed this was to make myself a floppy with
*nothing* in the "auto" folder *except* icdboot.prg, and teach myself to hold
down the shift and alt (or was it ctl and alt?  I'm away from my machine
and ICD instructions at the moment) at just the right moment when the floppy
access light comes on.

I can tell it's booting off the floppy because the *only* console message
is from icdboot (on the HD, I run  a number of other things, like pinhead and
foldr400 and copyfix---I mean, I *used* to run---but their startup messages
do appear when crashing off the HD).

Whether I crash off the HD or off my stripped-down floppy, I get two bombs
---it looks like just when it's trying to give me a desktop (in either case,
I always see all the expected boot-process console messages first).

I have not installed the Rainbow TOS patches, since they're sitting in an ARC
file on my inaccessible hard disk...

Two questions, then:
  (1) Is my problem unique?  (I hate being unique this way).
  (2) Assuming it isn't---what is the known fix? (subquestion: will I have to
reinitialize the hard disk?)

Many thanks!

                /Roland

ekrimen@csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (09/05/90)

-         Whether I crash off the HD or off my stripped-down floppy,
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sounds depressing!

- I get two bombs ---it looks like just when it's trying to give me a
- desktop (in either case, I always see all the expected boot-process
- console messages first).

If you *are* using the old utilities, by all means GET THE NEW
UTILITIES!!!  Now that that's off my chest, you may want to check
that ICDBOOT.SYS isn't corrupted.  One way to check this is to GET
THE NEW UTILITIES!!!  :^)  Call their BBS and download them, call ICD
and have them send you a disk with them on it (~$10), or maybe I
could send them to you.  (I know, I'm going to get flames, "ICD
copyright rules state, 'You may not distribute ICD utilities to
fellow ICD host adapter owners.  We want as much money as we can
get!'")

hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (09/05/90)

In article <384@saxony.pa.reuter.COM>, pesch@pa.reuter.COM (Roland Pesch) writes:
> Over the Labor Day week-end, I finally upgraded my trusty old 1040ST to
> TOS 1.4 (using the six-chip set).  It's very nice---but only if I boot off
> a floppy and forget my hard disk!
>
> My HD is built from an ICD host adapter kit, and has been happily booting off
> icdboot.sys (nee .prg) with the old TOS.  ICD, over the phone, claim the

Disclaimer:  I have BMS, and like BMS.

The boot process that ICD and Supra use is fairly tricky.  They search the
root directory themselves and need to fake out the TOS ROM boot sequence.

These can be done without being TOS # dependent but it easier to do it wrong.
There has been much chatter here and in ...minix... with the result that
ICD is always puttingh out a 'fix'.  I think that they may be cheating.

Try to run a utility from disk that will turn off the autoboot.

p.s.

Way back, Dave Small had a neat program in START that would bypass the booting
of an adled hard disk.  It does cheat -- jumps into ROMS.  The address needs
to be changed for TOS1.4 but it the only sure fire way to get control when
1) the boot image is sick  or 2) .acc progs are bombing.  It saved my life
(i.s. hard disk) several times.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzsc!hcj
hcj@lzsc.att.com

pesch@pa.reuter.COM (Roland Pesch) (09/22/90)

My thanks to all who responded wrt this problem, most notably "Hardware
Dave" hardware@rose.waterloo.edu, who actually had previous experience of
the problem; Shoou-yu Tang (sytang@skyblue.ACNS.ColoState.Edu), who
thought he did too; and also to those others who simply offered
sympathy and encouragement...  I'm now happily reading from my hard
disk again.

The problem was indeed, as seemed likely, the old icdboot program.

For "the record", here are the specifics ---in case they are of use to
someone planning an upgrade to TOS 1.4:

   --> icdboot.prg version 2.1 CRASHES RELIABLY (even when it is the
*only* startup) under TOS 1.4.  (I went and crashed off floppy one
last time to get that version number, after everything was fixed.  Two
bombs, if anyone counts)

   --> the latest version from ICD's bulletin board (815) 968-2229, as
of a few weeks ago, works fine.  In particular, I am now successfully
using version 4.8.4 with TOS 1.4.

   --> it is NOT necessary to reinitialize the hard disk to switch.

In case it matters, the computer is a 1040 STFM with the following
arcane markings on its motherboard:
       C07053-001 REV. C
       GX-211 V0 1986

                       /Roland

Roland Pesch			pesch@pa.reuter.com		(415) 327-1700
      :Reuters::425 Sherman Av., Ste 200::Palo Alto CA::94306:

pesch@pa.reuter.COM (Roland Pesch) (09/25/90)

[I *think* this didn't make it out the first time; apologies if I'm
wrong, and cluttering up the net.]

My thanks to all who responded wrt my problem (TOS 1.4/old ICD utils
incompatibility), most notably "Hardware Dave"