[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] PS problem, and DA problem!!!

rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) (09/24/90)

Two questions:

	1. I have been trying to print out Postscript from Pagestream onto
disk, and then printing them on the NeXTs that we have here. The Problem is
that none of the text shows up in the output, only the pictures due, and also,
the postscript viewer on the NeXT show a lot of errors in the file. (I am using
just the postscript viewer, not the Encapsulated Postcript viewer)

	2. Also, I am writing a DA that needs to know if there is a program
running or not. Is there an easy way to check this?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Ryan 'Gozar' Collins ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            o__)\			     rlcollins@miavx1.BITNET
           /     )			      RC1DSANU@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu
          /     /  ____                       R.COLLINS1  (On GEnie)
         /(____/__(_) o)_/
                      /)			[ || ]   Atari Computers,
      "There is no Substitute."                 [ || ]    They're not just
 Vs lbh pna ernq guvf, lbh'er geniryvat        // || \\   for breakfast
            gbb pybfr!                        //  ||  \\  anymore
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Yea, right, thats what I said.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7103_2622@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eric Smith) (09/24/90)

In article <2384.26fca905@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu>, rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) writes:
> 	2. Also, I am writing a DA that needs to know if there is a program
> running or not. Is there an easy way to check this?

There's always a program running (the GEM DESKTOP is just an ordinary TOS
program, loaded from ROM instead of from disk). If you mean, "is the
currently running program not the desktop", you might try the shel_read
AES call:
   char pgmname[128], cmdline[128];
   if (shel_read(pgmname, cmdline) == 0)
       printf("an error occured\n");
   else
       printf("the desktop thinks %s is the currently running program\n",
          pgmname);

Note also that the desktop's idea of what the current program is may not
correspond to reality, since if a program run from the desktop runs
another program, there's no way for the desktop to know.
--
Eric R. Smith                     email:
Dept. of Mathematics            ersmith@uwovax.uwo.ca

gl8f@astsun7.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (09/24/90)

In article <7106.26fcfbec@uwovax.uwo.ca> 7103_2622@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eric Smith) writes:
>In article <2384.26fca905@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu>, rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) writes:
>> 	2. Also, I am writing a DA that needs to know if there is a program
>> running or not. Is there an easy way to check this?
>>

>There's always a program running (the GEM DESKTOP is just an ordinary TOS
>program, loaded from ROM instead of from disk). If you mean, "is the
>currently running program not the desktop", you might try the shel_read
>AES call:

[...]

There's another problem, if I recall correctly -- shel_read() will
return the name of a GEM program even after you exit, until you start
another one from the desktop. I recall seeing this in a magazine
article about using desktop accessories to send special messages to
programs that allowed extensions that way: you can't be sure the user
is actually running that program if shel_read() says it's so.

Don't know if this was fixed in TOS 1.4.

Ryan, can you tell us WHY you need to know if a program is running?

--
"Perhaps I'm commenting a bit cynically, but I think I'm qualified to."
                                              - Dan Bernstein

uace0@menudo.uh.edu (Michael B. Vederman) (09/24/90)

Mention was made about the shel_read() function returning a program after the
program exits.

I don't know if this is true for shel_read(), but shel_find() definitely had
this problem.  I believe the two are related, since they both access the same
portion of memory.

I believe TOS 1.4 and greater has fixed this.

- mike

Double Click Me | Double Click Software | P.O. Box 741206 | Houston, Tx, 77274
Voice: (713)977-6520 | DC DESKTOP | DC FORMATTER | DC UTILITIES | and others

rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) (09/25/90)

In article <1990Sep23.230318.14193@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>, gl8f@astsun7.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) writes:
> Ryan, can you tell us WHY you need to know if a program is running?

I'm writing a little DA that will write a log file when you start up your ST,
tell you when you logoff your ST, park the hard drive when you logoff also.

I'd hate to park the hard drive when your in the middle of a prg.

I'm thinking of new little things every day to add to it. (like password
protection)