[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] Spectre GCR writing at 8 sectors/track.

jackin@vehka.uta.fi (Markku M{enp{{) (10/05/90)

Thanks to all who responded my question about Mega 2 --> 4.
I will try it again maybe this weekend.

Now for a weird problem: My diskdrive seems to have some trouble
writing at 8 sectors/track with GCR. It may do so for a long time
and then stop doing it. So far I have fixed it with a blow of my
fist (a few G's a day keeps the errors away :-). Errors are allways
on the first side. To me it looks like a mechanical problem, true ?

I am not sure what type of drive I have. I did try to check it out,
but couldn't find a name on it. (yes, I did open the case)

Has anybody had similar problems ? Do I need to change my DD :-(

Thanks,
Markku

--
Markku M{enp{{
email : jackin@vehka.uta.fi

mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) (10/06/90)

In article <1624@kielo.uta.fi> jackin@vehka.uta.fi (Markku M{enp{{) writes:
> Now for a weird problem: My diskdrive seems to have some trouble
> writing at 8 sectors/track with GCR.
[stuff]
> Has anybody had similar problems ? Do I need to change my DD :-(

 Yup, me too.  Supposedly, this is not that an uncommon problem for
some Mega2s. Their internal drives just don't seem to work. This problem
is that there is too much electical noise inside the computer that it
is drowning out the GCR info. Dave's solution is to wrap the cables and
the drive in some sort of shielding material and ground it. This doesn't
work for me :-(  But I do have an external that, although it is really
loud, works like a charm :-)

Marshall

--mjv@brownvm.brown.edu