[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] A Mac Emulation question....

mh4x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Edward Hamill) (10/10/90)

Hello netters......

I have been out of the ST world for a while and have a few questions
about the current state of Mac emulation:

First: What products are currently available and where can one get
information on them?

Secondly:  What kinds of ST system setup are we talking about to inable
one to use these things?

Finally: (and most importantly for the applications I am looking for) Do
any of these emulations include support for the AppleTalk system
(Broadcasts, etc.)?

Please respond either to me directly or to the net as I read both on a daily
basis.

Thanks in advance,

Mark Hamill
mh4x@andrew.cmu.edu

mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) (10/11/90)

In article <Eb4anm_00WAxAF6kYh@andrew.cmu.edu> mh4x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark
Edward Hamill) writes:
> I have been out of the ST world for a while and have a few questions
> about the current state of Mac emulation:

 Welcome back!

> First: What products are currently available and where can one get
> information on them?

 The best and only is Spectre GCR from Gadgets By Small. It uses 128K
Mac roms to emulate a Plus and is able to read normall 400k/800k Mac
disks right in your normal Atari drives, no modifications!

> Secondly:  What kinds of ST system setup are we talking about to inable
> one to use these things?

 Minimum of a 1 meg system (ie. 1040STe). But for serious work with
Adobe Type Manager and other things you'll want 2.5 - 4 megs.

> Finally: (and most importantly for the applications I am looking for) Do
> any of these emulations include support for the AppleTalk system
> (Broadcasts, etc.)?

 Yes, David Small is finishing the work on a AppleTalk board for the
MegaSTs. This will allow you to use AppleTalk from within Spectre. The
board will also include the right hardware to allow the use of Mac
midi programs. Finally, the board will have a SCSI port to allow you
to hook up Mac SCSI devices such as scanners, cd-roms, and hard disks.

(Which brings me to a side thought. Would this mean that with the right
software on the ST side, we could hook up those nice scanners and other
goodies and now have lots of peripherals for the ST??)

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mark Hamill
> mh4x@andrew.cmu.edu

 No problem. If you have any more questions just reply or e-mail!

Take care,
Marshall

--mjv@brownvm.brown.edu