[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] ftpeeing

bbs@bluemoon.UUCP (BBS login) (10/11/90)

        Hi all!

        I just recently got an account on a VAX at Ohio State and there I
got a taste of FTP.  The idea is really cool <and fast!>, but I got
problems anyhow.  The basic problem is with getting the files ftpeed to my
VAX account to my ST.

        Here's why:  My account doesn't have the 'privilege' of calling in
to the vax from my house and the VAXstation doesn't support the ms-dos (ST
compatible) format.

        Here are a few solutions I tried:

-->     There's a utility called pcdisk available from DCL Command which
writes in messy-dos format, but High Density only (unreadable by ST--I
tried it).

-->>    There's a facility somewhere at Ohio State which does the transfer
onto a floppy from one's account in messy dos format, but they probably
got 1.2 or 1.44 meg drives too.

-->>>   Sysop of Bluemoon.uucp offered to help (greatly appreciated
effort), by rendering his 1.2 or 1.44 meg drive so that I could transfer files
written in hd format to my ST over the modem.

        The last two solutions are OK, except
        that I don't wanna be running around with disks like a crazy
hacker all the time.

        Has anybody got any other suggestions?  How do you take care of
your FTP?

                        Archbold
                        osu-cis!n8emr!bluemoon!archbold

Disclaimer:  I haven't seen Veronica lately!

iho@cac.washington.edu (Il Oh) (10/11/90)

In article <1cRuq1w163w@bluemoon.UUCP> bbs@bluemoon.UUCP (BBS login) writes:

>-->>    There's a facility somewhere at Ohio State which does the transfer
>onto a floppy from one's account in messy dos format, but they probably
>got 1.2 or 1.44 meg drives too.

You should have no trouble reading/writing/formatting 720 K diskettes on
a 1.44 MB drive.  The same is not true of 360 K diskettes and 1.2 MB drives.
The difference between a 720 K diskette and a 1.44 MB diskette is only
the sectors per track.  The differences between a 360 K disk and a 1.2 MB disk
are a bit more drastic.  The most important one is that the tracks on a 1.2 MB
disk are only half the width of those on the 360 K disk.  You can usually
get interchangeability between 360 K drives and 1.2 MB drives, but you can't
depend on it.

il
--
a clever .sig file