[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] ZOO.ARC - Help

jharres@sleepy.bmd.trw.com (10/08/90)

HELP!  I got zoo.ttp from the umich archive (thanks) but have been unable
to get it to unarc a program.  I used binary mode to ftp it without any
problem.  I then unarc'd it (with arc.ttp that i ftp'd during the same
session) and got the six or so files.  The command I input was
  "zoo x passm.z".  Zoo's response was a couple lines showing the correct
commands.  I couldn't get "zoo h" to show me anything different.  With it
showing me potential command inputs I assume the program is capable of running,
but isn't getting the right input from me.  The instructions (yes I read them
:^)  ) didn't give me a clue as to what is wrong.
thanks in advance

Jim Harres    jharres@doc.bmd.trw.com

davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu (10/09/90)

In article <805.27103909@sleepy.bmd.trw.com>, jharres@sleepy.bmd.trw.com writes:
> session) and got the six or so files.  The command I input was
>   "zoo x passm.z".  Zoo's response was a couple lines showing the correct
> commands.  I couldn't get "zoo h" to show me anything different.  With it

Which command-line interpreter are you using?  Some of them, such as PCOMMAND,
convert all text into uppercase.  Zoo expects many of its options in lowercase.

You can use the basic functions of Zoo with CLI's such as PCOMMAND thusly:

	Zoo -list <zoofile>
	zoo -extract <zoofile>
	zoo -print <zoofile> file-to-read

If you are using Gulam, you shouldn't have the above problem.

--

David Paschall-Zimbel		davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu

bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) (10/10/90)

In article <805.27103909@sleepy.bmd.trw.com> jharres@sleepy.bmd.trw.com writes:
>HELP!  I got zoo.ttp from the umich archive (thanks) but have been unable
>to get it to unarc a program...
>The command I input was
>  "zoo x passm.z".
                ^

Looks like you're trying to use zoo on a Unix 'compress' file - zoo files
will end in .zoo, compressed files in .Z. You should either uncompress it
on your Unix system or get the compress utility from atari.archive/panarthea
and do it on your ST.

>Jim Harres    jharres@doc.bmd.trw.com

#  Bill Sheppard  --  bills@microware.com  --  {uunet,sun}!mcrware!mwca!bill   #
#  Microware Systems Corporation  ---  OS-9: Seven generations beyond __/_!!   #
#######Opinions expressed are my own, though you'd be wise to adopt them!#######

mwjester@wsuiar.uucp (loki) (10/10/90)

In article <805.27103909@sleepy.bmd.trw.com>, jharres@sleepy.bmd.trw.com writes:
> HELP!  I got zoo.ttp from the umich archive (thanks) but have been unable
> to get it to unarc a program.  I used binary mode to ftp it without any
> problem.  I then unarc'd it (with arc.ttp that i ftp'd during the same
> session) and got the six or so files.  The command I input was
>   "zoo x passm.z".  Zoo's response was a couple lines showing the correct
> commands.  I couldn't get "zoo h" to show me anything different.  With it
> showing me potential command inputs I assume the program is capable of running,
> but isn't getting the right input from me.  The instructions (yes I read them
> :^)  ) didn't give me a clue as to what is wrong.
> thanks in advance
>
> Jim Harres    jharres@doc.bmd.trw.com

Zoo is case-sensitive.  Because the desktop puts everything into uppercase
before passing it on, zoo is barfing on what it considers bad input.  The
temporary workaround is to use the "novice" commands, which can be accessed
by using a minus sign before the command, e.g.

-list whatsit.zoo

will list all the files included in whatsit.zoo. Extractions can be done
with the -extract command.

The better approach is to get hold of a shell (like gulam) which doesn't
mangle the case of the arguments it passes. If it can do wild card
expansion, so much the better.

Now for a question of my own: Is there a command to zoo that will cause
it to archive the contents of a subdirectory, including any subdirectories
of that subdirectory, and their contents, in a recursive fashion? I've
already RTFM, but either I was extremely dense that day or it's not there.

Max J.

klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (10/15/90)

In article <373.2711ccaf@wsuiar.uucp>, mwjester@wsuiar.uucp (loki) writes:
|> Now for a question of my own: Is there a command to zoo that will cause
|> it to archive the contents of a subdirectory, including any subdirectories
|> of that subdirectory, and their contents, in a recursive fashion? I've
|> already RTFM, but either I was extremely dense that day or it's not there.

The Atari ST version of Zoo by Daan Jitta can do that: "zoo a// dir"
archives the directory "dir" and recursively all its subdirectories. The
standard Zoo cannot do that. (But we have "find" under UNIX, haven't we?)

--
  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet