[comp.sys.atari.st.tech] JRI SIMM board?

nelson@cygnus.Kodak.COM (Bruce D. Nelson) (10/13/90)

Have any of you atari-st netters had experience with the JRI SIMM board
for memory expansion on a 1040 (or 520). I've heard about its exisitence,
but have seen no ads or reviews of it.

--
Bruce Nelson                            | Phone: (716) 726-7890
Rochester Distributed Computer Services | Internet: nelson@cygnus.kodak.COM

rcb@netcom.UUCP (Roy Bixler) (10/15/90)

In article <1990Oct13.145829.18783@kodak.kodak.com> nelson@cygnus.Kodak.COM (Bruce D. Nelson) writes:
>Have any of you atari-st netters had experience with the JRI SIMM board
>for memory expansion on a 1040 (or 520). I've heard about its exisitence,
>but have seen no ads or reviews of it.

There was some discussion about it a few months ago on the net.  The fact that
the JRI board takes SIMM's and that the discussion was positive made me 'take
the plunge' and try to expand my 1040 ST's memory to 4 Meg.  What I encountered
was a nightmarish cycle of 'my computer doesn't work' and 'take it back to the
store'.

Since some people out there are probably saying "I've had no problems with
this", let me describe the problems I had.  First, I would turn the computer
on and, after a few minutes of use, the objects on the screen wouldn't line
up as they used to.  This makes it especially hard to read text!  The
technician at San Jose Computer told me that the memory chips were overheating
and 'fixed' it by removing the RF shielding.  The original problem went
away, but then any data I tried to write to my hard disk was scrambled.  After
talking to John Russell himself, it was found that the DMA chip was of IMP
origin (i.e. bad stuff).  To conclude this cycle and my patience, the DMA
chips were replaced and there was still a problem (forgot what it was, but
different than the two previous ones).  I finally achieved 4 Megs. of memory by
purchasing an STe.

The technician might have aggravated the problem by not being scientific in
isolating the problem, but that is a moot point now.  If I were a hardware
person, I would have investigated this more thoroughly.  Since I'm not and
I don't have the time, the only conclusion I can draw from this experience
is you should be aware of the origin of your DMA chips and ventilation can
be a problem.

>--
>Bruce Nelson                            | Phone: (716) 726-7890
>Rochester Distributed Computer Services | Internet: nelson@cygnus.kodak.COM
>Eastman Kodak Company                   |
>Rochester, NY 14653-5219                | Standard disclaimers apply

Roy Bixler
netcom!rcb@apple.com

kawakami@volcano.Berkeley.EDU (John Kawakami) (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct13.145829.18783@kodak.kodak.com> nelson@cygnus.Kodak.COM (Bruce D. Nelson) writes:
>Have any of you atari-st netters had experience with the JRI SIMM board
>for memory expansion on a 1040 (or 520). I've heard about its exisitence,
>but have seen no ads or reviews of it.

The installation was pretty simple, but I'm sure that there are people
out there who would get confused: the pictures are scrunched full of info
and not everything is flat-out stated.  If you know what an address bus is,
and know what the various electronic components look like, the installation
should not be a problem.  If not, then get someone else to do it.

The upgrade itself has little to go wrong with it: just make sure the
wires slip around the inside of the ST ok.  However, I have had problems
with HEAT.  It's pretty crowded in a 520ST and I noticed that the chips
get HOT.  The JRI board covers part of the 68000 and other chips, and
also brings in some RAM chips and makes the whole shebang heat up like
a toaster.  I had problems with the RAM flaking out on me: the screen
would fill up with garbage on from one bank of SIMMs overheating.*
I "cured" this by removing the RF shielding and raising the board off
the motherboard (with a cardboard standoff).

This seems to be a not uncommon problem from the mail I have received.
Another cure are to get cooler RAM (I have "Magic SIMMs" Maybe the answer
is to get "better" name brand SIMMs with Micron or Japanese chips) another
is to get a fan, another is to get a STe.

* SIMMs come 8 bits at a time, so you need two SIMMs for the ST: a 16
bit word size machine.  The SIMMs sockets are angled so the SIMMs "lie"
on top of each other like bacon.  I figured it was the bank caught under
the other SIMM that got hot and flaked.  When I swapped SIMMs, the garbage
showed up on the same half of the 16 bit word.

John Kawakami                  kawakami@ocf.berkeley.edu
                               ucbvax!ocf.berkeley.edu!kawakami
Amateur crank!                 My Atari Macks!